Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 03-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I actually really like mine a lot too. I don't notice any real noise, because I am listening to radio/music anyway. They ride real nice and actually have some good sticky grip. I too like the security and convenience of run flats.
Glad I am not the only one lol.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-T View Post
What size did you go with to replace the run flat tires? Did you change the wheels too?
Went with:

20 x 9 front - offset 15
20 x 10.5 rear -offset 35 + 3 mm spacer
Tires - 275/35/20 & 295/35/20

Pics in cosmetic section
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-T View Post
What size did you go with to replace the run flat tires? Did you change the wheels too?
Went with:

20 x 9 front - offset 15
20 x 10.5 rear -offset 35 + 3 mm spacer
Tires - 275/35/20 & 295/35/20
Fit is perfect pushed to fenders
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Glad I am not the only one lol.
Lol...GY Eagle F1 have always been good to me. I like them because they are pretty sticky, but are not too sticky and useless like some other tires that offer too much stickiness for a DD. If this was a track car or something along those lines I might change out, but that is not the case....very happy with them!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Bells

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue SS
I got rid of mine. Running summer tires on a DD in this climate is a death wish.

I wish they would have offered an all season run flat. I'm still annoyed that a company from ****ing Detroit somehow forgot winter happens.
Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
SSport16

You have to remember the SS is a high performance car with gobs of HP/torque...all seasons come with the V6, not really needed as an option from the factory for the SS in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #21
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
You have to remember the SS is a high performance car with gobs of HP/torque...all seasons come with the V6, not really needed as an option from the factory for the SS in my opinion.
Spoken like someone who lives in a nice climate, lol. My companies plant is in NC and they close down with even a hint of an inch of snow, lol. Not how it works in the north east.

For us poor suckers in the northeast, well, I have come across people who wouldn't even consider buying a car that they would have to replace the tires on because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to drive it 4-6 months of the year.

It could do nothing but increase GM sales to at least offer them as an option.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Spoken like someone who lives in a nice climate, lol. My companies plant is in NC and they close down with even a hint of an inch of snow, lol. Not how it works in the north east.

For us poor suckers in the northeast, well, I have come across people who wouldn't even consider buying a car that they would have to replace the tires on because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to drive it 4-6 months of the year.

It could do nothing but increase GM sales to at least offer them as an option.
Originally from NY, lived there for 30 years. I had a '98 SS up there, took it out once in the snow, never did it again. Just saying, not trying to be a jerk, but the car is and will never be built for a crappy snowy weather driver, the SS that is.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #23
merlin803

Quote:
Originally from NY, lived there for 30 years. I had a '98 SS up there, took it out once in the snow, never did it again. Just saying, not trying to be a jerk, but the car is and will never be built for a crappy snowy weather driver, the SS that is.
I think that is selling the capabilities of the car short, I also had 2 Gen 5 V8's as daily drivers and barring having to drive in like 5+ inches of snow, where the low clearance might become an issue, these drive great in snow....IF they have at least all season tires. I completely understand what your saying about the 98 SS but trust me, with the nannies and safety features, this isn't the same car in bad weather.

Just saying, why handicap your customers or give them any reason not to buy a car when all you have to do is offer the all weather's as an option?

They already stock them for the V6's so shouldn't be a big deal.

My dealer didn't even want me to test drive the 2SS I bought about a month ago because......he said they are not suppose to let people test drive them with those tires if it is below 40 degrees.

Guess what? If he didn't make an exception and let me drive it, I would not have bought it. Even so, everyone isn't willing to buy a $40,000+ car and then run down the street to replace the tires.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #24
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
I think that is selling the capabilities of the car short, I also had 2 Gen 5 V8's as daily drivers and barring having to drive in like 5+ inches of snow, where the low clearance might become an issue, these drive great in snow....IF they have at least all season tires. I completely understand what your saying about the 98 SS but trust me, with the nannies and safety features, this isn't the same car in bad weather.

Just saying, why handicap your customers or give them any reason not to buy a car when all you have to do is offer the all weather's as an option?

They already stock them for the V6's so shouldn't be a big deal.

My dealer didn't even want me to test drive the 2SS I bought about a month ago because......he said they are not suppose to let people test drive them with those tires if it is below 40 degrees.

Guess what? If he didn't make an exception and let me drive it, I would not have bought it. Even so, everyone isn't willing to buy a $40,000+ car and then run down the street to replace the tires.
You might want to read this article and watch the video (there's a gen 6 SS driving in serious snow with Blizzaks in the article) before buying a set of snow tires for this car.

http://jalopnik.com/a-455-horsepower...-wo-1755180954

For snow tires to work well on a RWD drive car, the stars really have to align properly. Just having 50/50 weight split (front/back) and Blizzaks isn't enough. You have to account for the cars power to weight ratio, as well as it's ground clearance. I've seen Miatas with Blizzaks do great even though they're light cars, but it's because they have no torque. Powerful sports cars just aren't designed for snow. Snow tires will help, but in real snow, don't even bother.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Not me, i love runflats.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #26
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
You might want to read this article and watch the video (there's a gen 6 SS driving in serious snow with Blizzaks in the article) before buying a set of snow tires for this car.

For snow tires to work well on a RWD drive car, the stars really have to align properly. Just having 50/50 weight split (front/back) and Blizzaks isn't enough. You have to account for the cars power to weight ratio, as well as it's ground clearance. I've seen Miatas with Blizzaks do great even though they're light cars, but it's because they have no torque. Powerful sports cars just aren't designed for snow. Snow tires will help, but in real snow, don't even bother.
Well we'll see how my car will handle. my V6 handles just fine in real snow, the snow we get here in ND is definitely real snow.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #27
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post

All do respect....I don't need to watch the video, like I said, had 2 5th Gens V8's that were daily drivers and were great in snow on all seasons. Just like I have a 6th Gen V8 now on all seasons.

I don't check the stars before driving them in snow, they work fine

Hence the "Ice/Snow" mode that GM built into the car for this very reason...
Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Lol...GY Eagle F1 have always been good to me. I like them because they are pretty sticky, but are not too sticky and useless like some other tires that offer too much stickiness for a DD. If this was a track car or something along those lines I might change out, but that is not the case....very happy with them!
I agree. Unless purely dedicated for track, they are still damn good tires to DD and track. I actually get a bit disappointed on how good they grip after they warm up. After tires are warmed up and you turn step 1 traction off, it still grips 100% from 0 to 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pull. Absolutely NO spinning. Now, once you turn traction completely off, you just make mini clouds even without hitting the brakes haha. If you hit the brakes, you do a legit burnout and make real clouds but no need to kill the live of the tires just yet. Once they become bald and need replacing, all bets are off

Weather is getting much better here and in a month or two, road courses are going to be opening up which I plan on hitting up. Never been the kind of guy that wanted to do 1/4 but road course peaks my interest!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote