Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Dragway 42 UPDATE: New Plans, Grand Opening Scheduled for July 12th

I know a few of the Ohio guys have raced there. I grew up watching my dad race there but after my experience earlier in the year I decided against racing there. The track has gone way down hill, a shell of its former self. For those that don't know it use to be one of the best tracks in the country and I believe they were the first to have 4 lanes.

The new owner is Ron Matcham. Iv actually watched him race his Cobra Jet. I personally can not wait to see the improvements to the track. First time Iv been excited about 42 since my dad stopped going there almost 10 years ago.

http://bangshift.com/blog/finally-he...-facility.html

Last edited by Neumatic; 03-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
i have been racing motorcycles there from 1980 - 2000 ,,,but had to switch to norwalk in 2001 ,,, it was just to bumpy on the big end ,,, i was going 8.90 at 156mph .. it was so bad at the big end that both wheels would bounce off the ground...
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
OHIO SPEED

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo

It used to be THE drag strip at one time. Used to go there and thompson. Wish them luck!
OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Neumatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
i have been racing motorcycles there from 1980 - 2000 ,,,but had to switch to norwalk in 2001 ,,, it was just to bumpy on the big end ,,, i was going 8.90 at 156mph .. it was so bad at the big end that both wheels would bounce off the ground...
I completely understand, Its really horrible now. I actually hit a pot hole at the top end, right past the stripe. Kicked a chunk of the track surface up and put a dent in my trailing arm. Decided right then that I wouldn't race there again until someone else took over the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIO SPEED View Post
It used to be THE drag strip at one time. Used to go there and thompson. Wish them luck!
Iv heard many stories of when 42 was in its heyday. I really hope that it makes its way back to being atleast a respectable track, id like nothing more then to actually have to debate between Norwalk or 42 on any given night.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Neumatic

Wow, I am absolutely jacked now. So excited for this, 42 released their plans last week. This is going to be a great track for sure, I didn't expect a whole lot of improvement for this year but they are proving me 100% wrong. Take a look for yourselves, first is the aerial view. You can see the old location of the track and then the new location of the track. Second picture is the rendering of what the pressbox/tower will look like.

Quote:
Well here’s what you’ve all been asking for, and ending all the speculation and rumors you have heard. The track will be 4000 foot long from start to finish, ALL concrete with a 200 foot sand trap at the end. In order to make the track longer, we have acquired additional property behind the starting line and to the west of the track to do so. The track has been angled 10 degrees from the finish line and the new track will basically run through where the old pits were at which you can better see by taking a look at the engineers drawing. The track will be water cooled from the starting line, all the way to the 330 foot mark just like at other state of the art tracks throughout the country. The track will be going 16 feet down into the ground which will create amphitheater style seating on both sides of the track. The legendary “crossover” will be recreated and a three story tower that will include both a media center with suites and the timing system facilities will sit atop the crossover which will be located right behind and above the starting line. Hope this and the pictures answer some of the questions that you have had or have heard. Be sure to check out all of the pictures to get a better idea of what the new track will look like. Our “soft launch” target date for the grand opening is the weekend of July 12th 2014 but that all depends on the weather (as you all know, mother nature hasn’t been very nice to those of us in Northeast Ohio lately) and construction time-frames. Be sure to keep watching the website and Facebook for updates.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Neumatic

42 has two UMTR races scheduled this year. July 12th, which is supposed to be the grand opening and September 6th.