Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #71
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsont View Post
Car was not out of control, just hydroplaning like hell.

in researching these tires seems that's a big complaint of them. Guess ill have to be ware!

Tim
Same thing with me but I have learned to expect it and take precautions Just a slight few seconds of it is all it took for me to now just slow down when raining
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #72
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
I've been thinking since I purchased my 2018 - 2SS in July about the tires, getting a spare set of wheels and such.

For the most part for the last 20 years I've been driving SUV's with V8s or Trucks with V8's. Some AWD - so it's a change up for me. My Tundra with a 5.7 and BFG ATs was bulletproof in the rain.

My old 06 4Runner V8 AWD with XREAS was beyond bulletproof with BFG ATs - and frankly the Dunlops it came with OEM were incredible.

My 15' 4Runner without XREAS and select 4WD sucked in comparison to the 06' 4Runner - handling wise in every aspect with stock - whatever the crap was on it. Totaled by the wife last winter (tree jumped out in a parking lot..... - hey, it happens).

So onward to my 18' 2SS - the F1s in good weather I find incredible - really responsive, sticky - good. Me like.

The rain has come (SF bay area), temps mid 50's or 60ish. F1's are not really confidence inspiring. Standing water on freeway tends to drag the car to the right (crown direction) and keeping speed down helps. With Prius and Camry's passing me at 10+ there is a stability concern with the F1's in wet and I'm not imagining it.

I guess the reality is (for me) the Michelin Pilot 3's are gonna go on. I know Tire Rack is the cheapest - but I have been using George Oren for so many years - I'll keep giving them the business.

I'll report back with how the Michelin's perform. The reality is every time I buy wiper blades it stops raining... so me buying all season tires might bring in the next drought .
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #73
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMI View Post
Made it home last night during a sometimes massive downpour, while driving the beautiful mountains of Northwest Arkansas. ...
We've ridden through Arkansas/Missouri many time on motorcycles, and we love it. We're looking forward to doing it in the Camaro. On a recent trip through Eureka Springs there was a Corvette event going on. What a great location for riding/driving!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #74
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Ideally with the 1LE/ZL1 I'd keep the stock tires for track and get some Michelin PS4S for the road.

The stock tires are chosen mainly to give the car an advantage on the track, this is how cars are judged and they are mostly tested with the tires the car came with. Sometimes manufacturers go overboard, like the Mustang PP2 with Cup2 tires, which is ridiculous for a car not intended for track use. IMO, Chevy hit a bullseye with the 1LE/ZL1 tires. They might not be Cup2 tires but they are better at the track vs most summer tires and also last much longer than the Cup2 tires.

As far as wet, they seem fine to me. Maybe not tons of grip but it seems to let loose predictably. Standing water, maybe not so fine, I can see this being an issue in areas it rains hard a lot. I do think running mfg'er recommended air pressure helps, many seem to run higher pressures.

And personally, I'll never run all season tires on a performance car in the summer. There are plenty of summer performance tires that offer better resistance to hydroplaning if that's what you need.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #75
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I had the same experience this summer with the stock tires. In spring I will be putting on new Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS.
orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #76
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsont View Post
So rain into a small rain storm this afternoon while driving on the freeway with my 2018 2SS M6 Hotwheels Convertible.
Talk about a pucker moment, the car got all kinds of loose! Felt like the tires were hydroplaning rather than dispersing the water. Really glad it only lasted about 5 minutes. Gotta say not impressed with the Goodyears!

Had 2 sets of the P Zero's on my 5th Gen and they were great in the rain.

Is this a common complaint for the Goodyears or is it just me?

Tim
Just saw this. My wife had the exact same comments on her HW 'vert in the rain after having Continental DWS06's on her last convertible (14). With no room for a spare at all in her convertible, I wanted her still on runflats. I keep another front SS 1LE wheel / tire in my 17 SS 1LE as a spare.

Goodyear has a F1 All Season ROF in 245/40/20. They are a bit stretched on the back wider rim, but, still in the recommended rim width range. They are WAY better in the rain per her. She never hammers on a car, so, loss of some dry grip is not an issue for her. They don't look that sexy on the car for me, but, she doesn't notice nor care. It's her daily driver year round here in the Dallas area. Unfortunately, that one size is all that Goodyear makes in that tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ason+RunOnFlat
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #77
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
It really depends on your local roads. My SS 1LE stock tires do just fine in the rain. I was worried, but we have had a week of rain now and they do just fine.

However most of the freeways around here channel the water well, so there is not a lot of standing water on them and if there is, traffic is moving slow enough anyways that you aren't getting over 35- 40 MPH.

My tires also have 6,100 miles on them are are 3/4th the way to the wear bars. You obviously can't drive like you are on dry pavement, but I just put the car in Track Mode in there Wet setting and the PTM takes care to make sure there is no tire slippage.

Common sense and being conservative always prevails in wet conditions.

Now, I can't speak to all road surface in other areas. I could see an issue if you have roads that pool water up and don't have water channels in them.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote