#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Ehuerta
USN VET

Drives: 2016 SS sedan, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Chevrolet paint job

How many of you trust the dealer to not mess up a repaint? I called chevrolet and have been quite patient about this but they are telling me they wont cover the paint job since I don't trust them to do the job right and I want to use a paint shop outside their dealer network. That being said if anyone is interested in a shit painted ZL1 1LE hit me up. The car is ceramic coated and has the clear bra but it will have to be removed due to Chevrolets failure. It will also come with some Eibach springs they are testing right now. Chevrolet has lost a customer.
Attached Images

Ehuerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
What are these pics you posted? Your thread has me confused. So apparently your car has something wrong with the paint the requires a repaint and you dont want a Chevrolet dealer to perform the work. However you want Chevy to pay for the repaint?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
where are these defects located I will be picking up my car in the next week or two and would like to check it
Thanks
Brett
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
1st pic shows part of the hood latch opening so this is top front of the engine bay at the front fascia line. 2nd to last pic shows what almost looks like prybar damage. What kind of engine bay work were they doing that they leaned on the plastic trim so hard? A repaint? And if so WTF was the whomever thinking about using a prybar to open a hood? Or was that leftover from the damage that led to the repaint in the first place?

And to the OP -- if you put PPF on this car you probably already knew the paint was only 5/10 on these cars so you kinda knew this going in...? And that film looks tucked (or is that the respray line), so could the film installer have been pushing on the trim to make room for the tuck and caused the damage? Or was that the tape line pulling up the OEM paint? And did your film installer miss the damage or catch the damage but still put on film anyway that now has to be redone?

You have more to explain here if you're gonna rant.

Still it sucks and will be a PITA to fight with the dealership/PPF installer/repainter/whomever did what they did. Good luck.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
I had paint issues and the local Chevy sent it to the body shop, a week later it came back flawless.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
You might want to explain what we are looking at. Your post and pictures explain nothing.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
Their dealer body shop network is very large....find another that does good work.

Ours here does a great job. We have a fleet of cars so they fix 3 a month for us. I was raised in a shop and with show cars...so that should speak for their quality.
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
That looks like a repaint already, the one picture appears to have masking still on that is not factory paint process. Factory process is the shell being painted, then the supplier painted fascia is assembled to the body. That's why I say it's a fascia repaint. Even at the factory if it was damaged they would replace the fascia not repaint it . To costly and time consuming.
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
That looks like a repaint already, the one picture appears to have masking still on that is not factory paint process. Factory process is the shell being painted, then the supplier painted fascia is assembled to the body. That's why I say it's a fascia repaint. Even at the factory if it was damaged they would replace the fascia not repaint it . To costly and time consuming.
That's one of the reasons I was looking for more explanation. That is an easy fix for most dealers. The OP appears to be over dramatic at this point without more info. Gm doesnt own the dealserships. Some have good body shops. Some dont. Just like anyother business. But asking for the car to be covered by GM, but painted by a non GM dealer is just plain ridiculous.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Ehuerta
USN VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What are these pics you posted? Your thread has me confused. So apparently your car has something wrong with the paint the requires a repaint and you dont want a Chevrolet dealer to perform the work. However you want Chevy to pay for the repaint?
If I could trust the dealer to not mess up the repaint I would have them do it. But I've had various examples of how most dealer paint shops don't care so yes I am asking for them to pay.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
Ehuerta
USN VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
where are these defects located I will be picking up my car in the next week or two and would like to check it
Thanks
Brett
This is the trim piece by the hood, I would also check the rear bumper mine is chipping there from the bumper shifting.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehuerta View Post
If I could trust the dealer to not mess up the repaint I would have them do it. But I've had various examples of how most dealer paint shops don't care so yes I am asking for them to pay.
I own a business and I wont pay for warranty for someone else's work. That is completely silly to expect that because you are making assumptions. Ive have good luck with both of my local Chevy dealers with body shop work. They are quite frankly that best around here outside of customizers. Its a white Chevy that needs a front facia and a spray(from the little info we have) Hell the local votec could do that repair. Lol
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #13
Ehuerta
USN VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
1st pic shows part of the hood latch opening so this is top front of the engine bay at the front fascia line. 2nd to last pic shows what almost looks like prybar damage. What kind of engine bay work were they doing that they leaned on the plastic trim so hard? A repaint? And if so WTF was the whomever thinking about using a prybar to open a hood? Or was that leftover from the damage that led to the repaint in the first place?

And to the OP -- if you put PPF on this car you probably already knew the paint was only 5/10 on these cars so you kinda knew this going in...? And that film looks tucked (or is that the respray line), so could the film installer have been pushing on the trim to make room for the tuck and caused the damage? Or was that the tape line pulling up the OEM paint? And did your film installer miss the damage or catch the damage but still put on film anyway that now has to be redone?

You have more to explain here if you're gonna rant.

Still it sucks and will be a PITA to fight with the dealership/PPF installer/repainter/whomever did what they did. Good luck.
I get what you're saying, I did the clear bra to protect the paint not because I thought Chevrolet did shitty paint jobs. Maybe the installer should of caught this? No one took a pry bar to the car lol they tucked the clear bra at the line but the bra shrank a bit and they were fixing it when they noticed it chipping. I cant blame the PPF installer because if the paint job would of been done correctly it wouldn't of chipped or came off.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
Ehuerta
USN VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko07 View Post
Their dealer body shop network is very large....find another that does good work.

Ours here does a great job. We have a fleet of cars so they fix 3 a month for us. I was raised in a shop and with show cars...so that should speak for their quality.
Where is this? I'm in los angeles and only go to Delillo Chevrolet because the other dealers are garbage when it comes to customer service.

Tags
paint chipped