#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #1163
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Here’s what “pulling back from EV” looks like in GM world…
https://electrek.co/2023/10/30/chevy...l-coming-soon/
The problem is that those are just "plans". Well Chevy had an initial EV plan. How did that work out?? Now they have a new "Plan"... How do you know that, that plan will work? So if that doesn't work out, and they go to plan C, D, E?

You need consumers to buy your products or you're just going to have to keep "pulling back". That's the biggest problem I see here in the US right now. People "for the post part" don't want EVs. (For whatever reason... Many of them)

We can all sit and go back and forth about this forever... Post links to sites that support whatever it is you currently believe. Bottom line still is, that if you can't find buyers, what is your plan worth? Even that article you posted, read the comments at the end of it.

Last edited by jamala00; 10-31-2023 at 11:29 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:34 AM   #1164
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
The oil giants are split. ExxonMobil and Chevron are staying away from all things EV.

BP and Shell are playing both sides of the fence and investing significantly in EV charging. In fact, the largest EV charging facility in the world is owned and operated by Shell. BP announced just this week that they are investing $100M to add charging stations to company owned stations. They just built a new gas station a few miles from where I live this past spring. The EV charge points were up and running before the fuel pumps.

I think you're a bit gullible or naive.

Black gold is where those companies bread is buttered. They can put all the charge ports they want in their gas stations for show. But their bottom line is and will always be petrol.

You know, Telsa himself had plans. He had plans to transmit high voltage wirelessly. They say he hid them and destroyed them before he died.

If his plans were actually doable someone would have come up with them in the last 100 years.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #1165
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I think you're a bit gullible or naive.

Black gold is where those companies bread is buttered. They can put all the charge ports they want in their gas stations for show. But their bottom line is and will always be petrol.

You know, Telsa himself had plans. He had plans to transmit high voltage wirelessly. They say he hid them and destroyed them before he died.

If his plans were actually doable someone would have come up with them in the last 100 years.
I would be gullible or naive if I said I thought BP and Shell were changing their business focus. I did not say or believe that. What I did say and believe is that BP and Shell have enough of a vision to realize the EVs are real and will capture a significant portion of the automotive market. So they are hedging their bets enough to capitalize on it, rather than pretend it doesn’t / won’t exist. Huge difference in those two perspectives.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:18 PM   #1166
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
The oil giants are split. ExxonMobil and Chevron are staying away from all things EV.

BP and Shell are playing both sides of the fence and investing significantly in EV charging. In fact, the largest EV charging facility in the world is owned and operated by Shell. BP announced just this week that they are investing $100M to add charging stations to company owned stations. They just built a new gas station a few miles from where I live this past spring. The EV charge points were up and running before the fuel pumps.

Which is really smart because people will spend more time and money in the store, which is where those stations make their real money.
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:55 PM   #1167
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Which is really smart because people will spend more time and money in the store, which is where those stations make their real money.
Exactly. And they’ll be there longer if they’re charging instead of pumping.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 10-31-2023, 01:57 PM   #1168
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Exactly. And they’ll be there longer if they’re charging instead of pumping.
That's for sure. A lot longer.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:00 PM   #1169
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Time = $$$$

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:05 PM   #1170
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Maybe they will also have cots and showers inside since they will be there for a while.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #1171
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
30 minutes.

Old 10-31-2023, 02:09 PM   #1172
jamala00

Quote:
30 minutes.

Well that's 25 minutes longer then I need to be there right now... To me and so obviously many others... that's too long.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:16 PM   #1173
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Well that's 25 minutes longer then I need to be there right now... To me and so obviously many others... that's too long.
True for sure. But the 5 minutes of time we spend several times a month at the gas station is time EV drivers spend hitting the snooze button while their car charges as they sleep. Spending 30 minutes at a station plugged in while they shop is not a necessity. They do it because they can, not because they need to.

Old 10-31-2023, 02:21 PM   #1174
jamala00

Quote:
True for sure. But the 5 minutes of time we spend several times a month at the gas station is time EV drivers spend hitting the snooze button while their car charges as they sleep. Spending 30 minutes at a station plugged in while they shop is not a necessity. They do it because they can, not because they need to.
Ohhh how we keep coming full circle. You assume because YOU can change your vehicle at home everyone can. I'm not going to get into how many people today (including myself) if they had an EV could NOT charge their vehicle at home and would be relying on charging stations. Today most of the charging stations are Level II Chargers... Not Level III, so if you wanted a full charge, you'd be there a lot longer then 30 minutes.

Quote: "S&P Global Mobility estimates there are about 126,500 Level 2 and 20,431 Level 3 charging stations in the United States today, plus another 16,822 Tesla Superchargers and Tesla destination chargers."

I believe being able to charger your vehicle at home is a must for anyone considering and EV and why as well that there is a vast majority of people who would simply never consider it.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:30 PM   #1175
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Ohhh how we keep coming full circle. You assume because YOU can change your vehicle at home everyone can. I'm not going to get into how many people today ( including myself) if they had an EV could NOT charge their vehicle at home and would be relying on charging stations. Today most of the charging stations are Level II Chargers... Not Level III, so if you wanted a full charge, you'd be there a lot longer then 30 minutes.

Quote: "S&P Global Mobility estimates there are about 126,500 Level 2 and 20,431 Level 3 charging stations in the United States today, plus another 16,822 Tesla Superchargers and Tesla destination chargers."

I believe being able to charger your vehicle at home is a must for anyone considering and EV and why as well that there is a vast majority of people who would simply never consider it.
No. Actually I assume that people who cannot charge their vehicle overnight will not buy an electric vehicle. Because they’ll still have the choice to buy an ICE or hybrid. Choices may be limited, but they’ll be there. Also, charging time efficiency continues to improve at a much faster than vehicle development clockspeed. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was able to charge from 55% to 90% at a Tesla Destination charger in less than the time it took me to go into a mall, buy workout gear and leave. Tesla Destination chargers are roughly equivalent to a Level II, definitely NOT a Supercharger. It was done in much less than 30 minutes. Because we have gotten into the habit of filling our vehicles when we go to a gas station doesn’t mean that this is the norm for EV drivers. Over time EV drivers tend to learn it’s beneficial to charge enough to get to home or work where you can charge to full, not charge to full just because you are at a charger. And those S&P Global Mobility folks sure know what the hell they’re talking about, right?

Old 10-31-2023, 03:22 PM   #1176
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
Time = $$$$
Yep. I'm heading to Oklahoma City next year for a competition. Pretty straight shot 880 miles and most of my friends who've made the trip can do it in about 13 hours. I figure in the Camaro I can make that run comfortably in 12 hours.

In an EV...? Two days? Three days? Hotel rooms, eating out, Even if the electricity were free the trip would still be much more expensive.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote