#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #29
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Is this the same A10 in the ZL1 or is it the lame A8 "Now with 2 extra gears for free!" truck transmission in the more plebeian models?
It's likely to be the same A10 in the SS, which is different from the A10 in the ZL1.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The tranny seems to have 2 personalities. One is in Performance Shift mode where everything happens fast and angry. Like shooting a rifle. Bang, bang, bang. Up shifting or downshifting happens quick and in a hurry.

Then you have regular grocery getting mode. Downshifts are soft and so are the upshifts. So driving around town won’t be spectacular.

That’s my take on 16k miles of the A10 compared to over 150k miles of DCT.
How are the two modes selected? According to drive modes? Thanks!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
It's likely to be the same A10 in the SS, which is different from the A10 in the ZL1.
Very good point!
That would disqualify it as my possible choice.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #32
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post

I made that third statement countless times in the past. I now own a third-generation Toyota Prius, and what's even worse, is that I love it.
lol
I work on them, very reliable cars, I just don't really think I'd ever own one.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #33
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Very good point!
That would disqualify it as my possible choice.
10R80 with LT1, 10R90 with LT4

I'd assume the calibration has been tweaked for the SS 1LE with the auto probably similar to what was done with the ZL1 1LE auto.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #34
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I am always in PTM mode 3. All you do is slightly tap the gas and the tranny flashes PSA.

I found this picture online.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #35
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
This mode only activates during 2 conditions:
* Hard Acceleration
* Hard Cornering
And it lingers as long as you're doing "performance" driving which is the previous 2 conditions, besides that, there is really no control over it, it defaults back to normal mode after a few seconds of tame driving, otherwise there is no way to control it.

That's one of the issues with "regular" autos in the Camaro, normal mode is great for everyday, performance shift mode is great for short bursts, however if you want to take control of the auto with the paddles or want prolonged performance driving, it falls short really fast, mind you I haven't driven an auto ZL1, but all I read about that transmission is pure praise.

Ideally, the auto SS 1LE SHOULD get the ZL1 Auto considering the 1LE is pretty much a ZL1 Driving package, suspension, diff, etc, but without the engine and cooling and Chevy has done an amazing job with the 1LE line over all Camaro model, hopefully the don't botch it.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #36
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
10R80 with LT1, 10R90 with LT4

I'd assume the calibration has been tweaked for the SS 1LE with the auto probably similar to what was done with the ZL1 1LE auto.
I see...I must admit i know nothing about how these 2 trannies differ et al. If it is just calibrated for lower power then I'd be ok with it. If its performance mode has been changed, then not so much...
Old 05-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
I am always in PTM mode 3. All you do is slightly tap the gas and the tranny flashes PSA.

I found this picture online.
You mean PTM Sport1?

Just read the post above and the tranny calibration seems to be based on purely throttle and G forces (or yaw values) vs anything else, which seems like a good design.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
This mode only activates during 2 conditions:
* Hard Acceleration
* Hard Cornering
And it lingers as long as you're doing "performance" driving which is the previous 2 conditions, besides that, there is really no control over it, it defaults back to normal mode after a few seconds of tame driving, otherwise there is no way to control it.

That's one of the issues with "regular" autos in the Camaro, normal mode is great for everyday, performance shift mode is great for short bursts, however if you want to take control of the auto with the paddles or want prolonged performance driving, it falls short really fast, mind you I haven't driven an auto ZL1, but all I read about that transmission is pure praise.

Ideally, the auto SS 1LE SHOULD get the ZL1 Auto considering the 1LE is pretty much a ZL1 Driving package, suspension, diff, etc, but without the engine and cooling and Chevy has done an amazing job with the 1LE line over all Camaro model, hopefully the don't botch it.
Thanks for this info! Based on the vids it seems like the ZL1 A10 is most happy in fully auto mode vs paddle shifting. At least it seems incredibly capable in this mode.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #39
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
You mean PTM Sport1?

Just read the post above and the tranny calibration seems to be based on purely throttle and G forces (or yaw values) vs anything else, which seems like a good design.
Yes. PTM Sport 1. I don’t even look anymore. Muscle memory settings.
You can still go WOT without PSA being active. It just won’t be the same “at the ready” as PSA.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #40
TrackClub

Quote:
Yes. PTM Sport 1. I don’t even look anymore. Muscle memory settings.
You can still go WOT without PSA being active. It just won’t be the same “at the ready” as PSA.
Ok so this would contradict the post suggesting that PSA engages based on gas pedal alone (and G/yaw parms)?

So how do you go WOT without activating PSA? And what activates PSA? Drive mode, or gas pedal, or both?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #41
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Ok, big asterisk here, this was with my V6 2LT, it didn't have a Track mode or PTM, remember the ZL1 has a different and serious performance transmission, it also has a custom RPM launch control compared to "regular" launch control in the SS just to drive the point on how they're different

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
Ok, big asterisk here, this was with my V6 2LT, it didn't have a Track mode or PTM, remember the ZL1 has a different and serious performance transmission, it also has a custom RPM launch control compared to "regular" launch control in the SS just to drive the point on how they're different
Got it. Thx!
Maybe i will just stick with what i know lol!
M6 in the 1le is rather excellent imo.