#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster View Post
I drove both and chose the ZL1... The only time I feel like the 1LE would be of benefit is on heavy road course conditions. I'm a big fan of the magnetic suspension and making the ride softer if the road gets bumpy (call it mechanical empathy).

Both cars launched the same on the road. Note: warm up the tires before exploring this end of it.

I also got my test drives on used cars...the dealers were much more willing to let me test drive used ones instead of new.
FWIW, the regular ZL1 does just fine on a road course. While the extra mechanical grip from the dive planes and rear spoiler are real, a bit of the extra ability comes from the GYSC3R tires (tyres?). I also get that having the Formula 1 derived DSSV suspension is a big deal. All that said, the plain old ZL1 is faster on a road course than a GT350R, a host of 991 911s, including the 911 Turbo (not the S version) and a fairly long list of exotic cars, too.

FWIW, the dive planes and rear spoiler's extra down force would hurt the ZLE on the big end in a quarter mile or any type of roll race. Drag is drag and down force is drag by another name.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #30
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
FWIW, the regular ZL1 does just fine on a road course. While the extra mechanical grip from the dive planes and rear spoiler are real, a bit of the extra ability comes from the GYSC3R tires (tyres?). I also get that having the Formula 1 derived DSSV suspension is a big deal. All that said, the plain old ZL1 is faster on a road course than a GT350R, a host of 991 911s, including the 911 Turbo (not the S version) and a fairly long list of exotic cars, too.

FWIW, the dive planes and rear spoiler's extra down force would hurt the ZLE on the big end in a quarter mile or any type of roll race. Drag is drag and down force is drag by another name.
Agreed. I fully realized there would be a penalty on the top end with the added downforce. In the end its up to the person purchasing. Both are totally incredible vehicles in their own right. I see them as equals without doubt. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if a better driver beat me on a road course or drag strip or from a roll. It could also go the other way.
In the end you can’t go wrong really.
I purchased with the track in mind. I also liked the idea of the DSSV suspension and I prefer the appearance of the rims over the ZL1 rims. Plus, and I knew this before my purchase, I could use the 2015 Z28 rims as my street wheels which I love the appearance of. I like the dive planes and their appearance. I also like the wing but I must say when we had it off the car, the car looked absolutely deadly in my eyes. Plus, I like the idea the wing and dive planes are functional. They aren’t just for looks. If they were, that would have turned me off this model and I may have bought a ZL1.
After spending a lot of time behind the wheel, I’m sure if I bought the ZL1 I would have been more than happy. You can’t go wrong really.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #31
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Agreed. I fully realized there would be a penalty on the top end with the added downforce. In the end its up to the person purchasing. Both are totally incredible vehicles in their own right. I see them as equals without doubt. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if a better driver beat me on a road course or drag strip or from a roll. It could also go the other way.
In the end you can’t go wrong really.
I purchased with the track in mind. I also liked the idea of the DSSV suspension and I prefer the appearance of the rims over the ZL1 rims. Plus, and I knew this before my purchase, I could use the 2015 Z28 rims as my street wheels which I love the appearance of. I like the dive planes and their appearance. I also like the wing but I must say when we had it off the car, the car looked absolutely deadly in my eyes. Plus, I like the idea the wing and dive planes are functional. They aren’t just for looks. If they were, that would have turned me off this model and I may have bought a ZL1.
After spending a lot of time behind the wheel, I’m sure if I bought the ZL1 I would have been more than happy. You can’t go wrong really.
I couldn't agree more. Really exactly the same reason I bought the 1LE.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #32
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
I'm a little late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I have OWNED both. I bought a new 2019 ZL1 A10 last year and last month, I traded it in on a 2020 ZL1 1LE A10. The ZL1 in general is just a phenomenal car. When I first bought the regular ZL1, I was daily driving it. I was also concerned about the hype of the stiffer 1LE suspension so I wasn't sure If I wanted to deal with that everyday driving back and forth to work. Looking back, I wish I just would have bought the 1LE to begin with.

I too believe that the 1LE suspension is not as harsh as the hype makes it sound. I'm 33 so I don't have the aches and pains of old age to contend with at the moment. Is it noticeably stiffer...yes. I personally don't think it's as bad as some people make it sound though. The 1LE also feels more planted under hard acceleration and hugging corners in my opinion compared to the regular ZL1. You just have to be cognizant of what you're buying. In a 1LE, you definitely have to take railroad crossings slower and have an idea locally of which roads are shitty. I'm 110% happy with my decision to get the 1LE.

I considered just buying the aero pieces and making the ZL1 look like a 1LE but I'm a prideful person. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be a real 1LE and I would always be reminded of that. Most people probably wouldn't care about that but I would. To each their own.

As others have said as far as tires, they are absolutely correct. I had a set of BC forged wheels with Goodyear eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires waiting in the garage when I brought the 1LE back from the stealership. It made the ride quality just a bit better for the street. I personally like the supercar 3s because they were designed for the ZL1. I love the grip and street manners of them. I don't daily the 1LE and I do this crazy thing called checking the weather before I do take it out. I tell myself one day that I'll take it to a track but I probably won't.

My final point, the Looks! I just LOVE how menacing the 1LE looks. I break necks constantly when I drive it. The regular ZL1 looks good but there is no mistaking a 1LE when its coming down the road. It constantly grabs attention and I love it. I also have a full AWE touring cat-back with PLPs on it so I find a lot of people lowering their windows to hear the car as well. I just absolutely love this 1LE!

Don't let certain douche canoes on here (we all know who you are, Sir) persuade you on your car purchase. They don't pay your bills or sign your paycheck. Spend your money on whatever car puts the biggest smile on your face when you open the garage or get into it. If that means buying a 1LE when you have no intent on becoming a track rat then so be it. Live your life. You can't go wrong with either decision.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #33
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
If this is just a streetcar go for the ZL1, I think the 1LE would be overkill. I have the 1LE and went that way as i use it mainly as a track car.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #34
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRomeo View Post

I have OWNED both. I bought a new 2019 ZL1 A10 last year and last month, I traded it in on a 2020 ZL1 1LE A10. The ZL1 in general is just a phenomenal car. When I first bought the regular ZL1, I was daily driving it. I was also concerned about the hype of the stiffer 1LE suspension so I wasn't sure If I wanted to deal with that everyday driving back and forth to work. Looking back, I wish I just would have bought the 1LE to begin with.

I too believe that the 1LE suspension is not as harsh as the hype makes it sound. I'm 33 so I don't have the aches and pains of old age to contend with at the moment. Is it noticeably stiffer...yes. I personally don't think it's as bad as some people make it sound though. The 1LE also feels more planted under hard acceleration and hugging corners in my opinion compared to the regular ZL1. You just have to be cognizant of what you're buying. In a 1LE, you definitely have to take railroad crossings slower and have an idea locally of which roads are shitty. I'm 110% happy with my decision to get the 1LE.

I considered just buying the aero pieces and making the ZL1 look like a 1LE but I'm a prideful person. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be a real 1LE and I would always be reminded of that. Most people probably wouldn't care about that but I would. To each their own.

As others have said as far as tires, they are absolutely correct. I had a set of BC forged wheels with Goodyear eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires waiting in the garage when I brought the 1LE back from the stealership. It made the ride quality just a bit better for the street. I personally like the supercar 3s because they were designed for the ZL1. I love the grip and street manners of them. I don't daily the 1LE and I do this crazy thing called checking the weather before I do take it out. I tell myself one day that I'll take it to a track but I probably won't.

My final point, the Looks! I just LOVE how menacing the 1LE looks. I break necks constantly when I drive it. The regular ZL1 looks good but there is no mistaking a 1LE when its coming down the road. It constantly grabs attention and I love it. I also have a full AWE touring cat-back with PLPs on it so I find a lot of people lowering their windows to hear the car as well. I just absolutely love this 1LE!

Don't let certain douche canoes on here (we all know who you are, Sir) persuade you on your car purchase. They don't pay your bills or sign your paycheck. Spend your money on whatever car puts the biggest smile on your face when you open the garage or get into it. If that means buying a 1LE when you have no intent on becoming a track rat then so be it. Live your life. You can't go wrong with either decision.
Very well said! I feel exactly the same way.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #35
Terry the Tramp

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Recently I drove both and decided on the ZL1 without the 1LE package.
Terry the Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #36
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Awesome. Congratulations. Your gonna love it.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #37
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
I myself am legitimately curious on how these two cars would stack up in a drag race as well given the fact that they would both have A10 transmissions. No one really races on a sharp curve. Most real life situations take place racing on straight roads.

So in one way I do favor straight line speed just a little over handling. Is the standard ZL1 more setup for straight line speed? If these two cars where to drag race or roll race against each other would the ZL1 1LE lose real bad to the ZL1 cause of its aero setup? I wonder what the distance between the two cars would be if the ZL1 1LE were to lose to the ZL1 in a drag or roll race.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #38
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Exactly why I would never pick a ZLE over the ZL1 for drag racing, as well as poor weight transfer with the stiff suspension
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #39
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
If I lived near a mountain road or track I would get the ZLE - I understand the appeal and don't mind the stiff ride (like it, keep the ZL1 in track mode suspension setting all the time) it just doesn't make sense for me as a freeway bruiser, and I don't want more attention from the cops with the big wing.

A ZL1 is not exactly a sleeper but you still get people wanting to play and I like that - probably not going to happen in a ZLE (or a vette for that matter)
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:21 AM   #40
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:

Well said here I like what you wrote seems pretty convincing to get the ZL1 1LE.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #41
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I love the ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE threads. It brings out the true feelings and thoughts of many men.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #42
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteel68 View Post
Test driving would be the best option but no local dealers on Long Island have any.

I don't think the ride would bother me. My 68 has Hotchkis suspension which is pretty stiff.

The car would never be in wet weather so tires are not an issue.

I personally hate the spoiler and will likely remove it for a stock ZL1 spoiler.

I guess ill go for the 1LE
Had a '67 and '71 RS Camaro with original suspension and it was rough to say the least. The ride on the ZL1 is excellent. I've test driven the ZL1 1LE and think it's definitely a track car and still better ride than the older Camaro's though. Comes down to driving habits and desires.

P.S. Coming from LI myself, I understand why the ZL1's are hard to find.
george is online now   Reply With Quote