Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #15
ZL1naples

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Given your intended use there is no need to go to the 1LE. Save yourself $7,500 and enjoy the ZL1.
ZL1naples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The normal ZL1 with A10 is about 0.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile. Go look at the fast list over in the drag racing section. The A10 is capable of 60' times in the 1.7X range and the M6 is 2.0+.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427506

Old 03-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #17
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
I’m trying to put myself in your shoes OP...quite the conundrum lol.

I think if you’re goin A10 either way, go ahead and get what you want. As long as you swap tires on the ZLE i think they’ll be splitting hairs from a dig on pavement. (You did mention no track)

You can recoup some of the cost of the package by selling that wing if ya really don’t want it, the more i stared at it the more i liked it. I fully understand its a bit aggressive.

I literally got the ZLE because i liked the way it looked, and the entire time i had a GT350, i wanted the R model...wasn’t going to make that mistake again. Neither are necessities, but that’s what i wanted. I did get a little addicted to the gen6 chassis, so now my car gets used sometimes for it’s intended purpose, but i fully admit going into this knowing it’d be mostly a partial DD.

Good luck in your decision, i feel like what you described calls for a ZL1, but deep down you just really want the ZLE...go for it
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #18
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
You will find that most people complaining about the ZLE ride don't own one. Not trying to sound like a jerk but I was also worried about the ride and find it to be just fine. I did change the tires to PS4S but the stock tires where fine too just was concerned bout getting caught one day with the family in the rain.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #19
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
I own a '19 ZLE, and I drive it several times a week. I recently took it on a 600 mile round trip and have done longer trips. My recent background includes driving everything from a VW Golf R to a lifted Jeep Rubicon, so quite different ride qualities.

I test drove both before buying my car and, yes, there is a large difference in ride, however the ride of the multimatic shocks is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Their response is crisp and short, but not "brutal" as others sometimes state. If you have ridden in a heavy duty truck, lifted jeep, or stiffly sprung track car, this is much more comfortable.

Having said that, to fully enjoy what this car is capable of, you should take the car to the track at least once to really see what it can do. It is quite literally jaw dropping! Either way, you will have chosen well!

As others have said, the GY SC3R's are great track tires, but only mediocre road tires. They have reduced grip till very warm and are pretty poor in the rain, however can be driven with care (I still drive on them on the street and rain here in Florida).

If you have any other questions, happy to answer and welcome to the family.
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #20
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteel68 View Post
Ricer? lol. Wrong guy. Had many runs down the 1/4 with all 3 of my 1st Gens. As i said, no more local tracks around by me. Im not a road racer guy. Im an old school street racer and want to add a new 6th Gen to my stable before they screw them all up with electric motors.
I don't know a whole lot about the 6th Gens. So I figured I join and ask you guys if there's much difference from a dig between the two. If not, ill get the 1LE. If the road racing suspension lends a large handicap to the 1LE then ill go for ZL1. Simple. But go ahead and troll if it makes ya feel like a big man.
Thanks for the thoughts guys.
I think my point has been well proven by all of the answers in the thread. The regular ZL1 is just hands down a better car for street and strip. You don't like the wing and the wing and dive plains are the main reason the ricer owners buy them, so I was confused why you said you will go 1LE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Hopefully the guys who have owned both can comment on this. But I don’t think a lot of people have owned both. Maybe for reference go to the fast list and look at the times for stock vehicles. Maybe there are 60 foots that can be compared between the 2 versions. I would think the ZL1 should launch better???
But, the ZLE has a wider rear tire and also stickier when warmed up. So.....depending on the driver, to me it could go either way.
And, obviously I’m comparing both cars with the rubber that comes on them new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Oldsteel 68, I am 49, and Have a 72 chevelle LS powertrain, new moog bushings threw out the car. I wanted a ZL1/1LE bad, real bad, drove a regular used ZL1 it was great, then drove a ZL1/1LE, in Dallas for like 10 minutes on great streets, freeway etc. No bad I thought. Then one day I went to look at a Hyper blue 2018 ZL1/1LE I knew this was it, I then asked the salesman to let me take it down some bumpy roads, To be fair I had a headache that day, but the car was so rough I changed my mind. I found a ZL1 with all the OEM 1LE stuff on it.
I'm grateful !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
If you don't plan on going to the road course, then the 1LE package is just for looks. It will actually slow the car down in the straight line. The non-1LE Mag ride in Touring Mode can make the car ride like a Cadillac and is still extremely capable in Track mode on a road course or twisty mountain road. The 3R tires on the 1LE package are not meant to be daily driver tires.
All that being said, I bought the normal ZL1 with A10 to drag race. I got hooked on track days and time trials. I've modified my ZL1, but it would have been cheaper to go 1LE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1naples View Post
Given your intended use there is no need to go to the 1LE. Save yourself $7,500 and enjoy the ZL1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
I own a '19 ZLE, and I drive it several times a week. I recently took it on a 600 mile round trip and have done longer trips. My recent background includes driving everything from a VW Golf R to a lifted Jeep Rubicon, so quite different ride qualities.
I test drove both before buying my car and, yes, there is a large difference in ride, however the ride of the multimatic shocks is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Their response is crisp and short, but not "brutal" as others sometimes state. If you have ridden in a heavy duty truck, lifted jeep, or stiffly sprung track car, this is much more comfortable.

Having said that, to fully enjoy what this car is capable of, you should take the car to the track at least once to really see what it can do. It is quite literally jaw dropping! Either way, you will have chosen well!
As others have said, the GY SC3R's are great track tires, but only mediocre road tires. They have reduced grip till very warm and are pretty poor in the rain, however can be driven with care (I still drive on them on the street and rain here in Florida).
If you have any other questions, happy to answer and welcome to the family.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #21
oldsteel68

Drives: 68 Camaro SS
Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided on the standard ZL1 and am currently trying to get one. Nobody around here has any black ones on lots. Either have to order one or go out of state which I will likely do.

Thanks again.
oldsteel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #22
BUCKEYE NATION

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I drove both and it was a hard decision as well. Decided to go standard zl1 with A10. I have not owned an automatic since 2002. The 1LE was very nice of course but just not really what I needed. I made sure to test drive it on a dry day but below 60 degrees. Man those stock tires wiggled. I know on a hot day they would be awesome tires. But just knowing that I would immediately have to purchase a seperate set of tires helped me with picking my ZL1 A10. More drivability. But talk about a looker. Hardley ever see ZLEs and they turn heads. Just glad that you are joining the 6gen ZL1 community. best of luck with findingthe one you want, i am sure you will. I drove 3 1/2 hours both ways to get mine. Gotta love Texas!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #23
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I think my point has been well proven by all of the answers in the thread. The regular ZL1 is just hands down a better car for street and strip. You don't like the wing and the wing and dive plains are the main reason the ricer owners buy them, so I was confused why you said you will go 1LE?
Sounds like you should be in a Tesla, then you could get to the red light first. Get what you like.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteel68 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided on the standard ZL1 and am currently trying to get one. Nobody around here has any black ones on lots. Either have to order one or go out of state which I will likely do.
Thanks again.
You made the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Sounds like you should be in a Tesla, then you could get to the red light first. Get what you like.
No thanks I take my SS to the track
Old 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #25
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You made the right choice.

No thanks I take my SS to the track
Funny how the guy that knows the most about ZL1's doesn't have one. To the OP you will be happy with either one. As long as your powered by a LT4 your good.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
TheRealJA105

I know you have the right car for your purpose. To impress people at cars and coffee.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE

Tell us more how we all made the wrong decision
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
I drove both and chose the ZL1... The only time I feel like the 1LE would be of benefit is on heavy road course conditions. I'm a big fan of the magnetic suspension and making the ride softer if the road gets bumpy (call it mechanical empathy).

Both cars launched the same on the road. Note: warm up the tires before exploring this end of it.

I also got my test drives on used cars...the dealers were much more willing to let me test drive used ones instead of new.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote