Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #7477
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The only time you can use that RPM on the street is if you're doing something illegal. I had one of those cars. And by the time the power kicked in I was already either way behind the other car or well above the speed limit.

High revs is a placebo. Look at the Hellcats. Their RPM limit bone stock is 6250. And that car will do 200 MPH. The car that revs to the moon is stuck at 180 MPH because of whatever reason. Going around a track, the ZL1 keeps up because it is a very well balanced car. So for all the talk about high revs, it doesn't do anything more than a well built low revving car does. It just makes people think it does because the engine is screaming while going around a corner. But trust me, it is no fun when you're in the lane that ends and some chick beats you in her Solstice because you didn't have enough room to get into your powerband.
I am not arguing high revs is better. I am just saying that I feel hotlaps point of not being able to use that power band on the street is a splitting hairs excuse and you can apply that same logic to any performance car.

Blaq where can you use all 650 HP or all 707 HP on the street safely before your doing something illegal in about 4 seconds your gonna be going past the legal speed limit.

That would be like me saying a Harley is better than your Hayabusa bc a harley makes tq at like 4k RPM and a busa makes its power at like 9k or a r6 which revs to like 16K

And I totally get High revs can be a placebo, like I said I was just saying that seems like it a splitting hairs argument when talking about performance cars that you cant use the rpms on the street....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
You would be going between 42 and 73 mph in second gear to keep the engine in its powerband. Not really practical on the street but ideal for the track ...where the PP1 and PP2 aren't designed to be used.

In first gear you’d be going between 27 and 48 mph. More manageable ...I guess ...if you’re into driving around in first gear.

The Camaro pulls hard off idle so it’s great on the street. It’s also designed for, and fully equipped / warrantied for the track.
I get what you are saying that you cant keep it in that rpm range on the street. and the camaro makes low end torque so you don't have to wind it up to get going. Your post just came off as a way of splitting hairs to me to because if your going to do any spirited driving in these cars your gonna be going past legal limits pretty quickly so what does the rpm matter if your spinning it out to 6k or 7k

You also ignored my question to you about the rumored z06 engine. Are you going to feel the same way about that or its going to be different because GM made it and now high revs are ok
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 05-27-2020 at 12:22 PM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #7478
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I figure on my car I have a self imposes 100 MPH lift, I can use WOT only in 3rd so 75 MPH to 100 MPH in say 2 to 3 seconds.. that it.. that the reality of how much HP these cars make and how fast you can get stupid. Here is a video of a 6th gen losing it at speed and my car is squirrelly in first, second, and the bottom of third.

IMO something broke in the diff and locked up the rear.... happening soon on the GT500
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #7479
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You also ignored my question to you about the rumored z06 engine. Are you going to feel the same way about that or its going to be different because GM made it and now high revs are ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I know it doesn't have the low end like the camaro does but I feel like saying you can't use the 4 to 7k range on the street is splitting hairs because If you really want to say that power range is not usable on the street, then you can really say that about any performance car. Are you going to say the same about the upcoming Z06 engine
If Chevy puts a high reving engine into a car, handicaps it for the track, say it’s not a track car in the press release ...and then the cars gets praised in a review as being more fun to drive on the track? Yes. I will feel the same way. The engines prime attribute would be unusable.

It will be interesting to see how the Z06 compares.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #7480
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
If Chevy puts a high reving engine into a car, handicaps it for the track, say it’s not a track car in the press release ...and then the cars gets praised in a review as being more fun to drive on the track? Yes. I will feel the same way. The engines prime attribute would be unusable.

I think we need to agree to disagree. I got hung up on part of your original comment by taking it kind of out of context and were just gonna keep going around in circles.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 05-28-2020 at 11:32 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #7481
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:

I think they're shooting for a sub 6:50 lap at the ring. I think they mean serious business benchmarking that GT2RS. I think the C8Z will bring back what Zora meant by a Z06.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #7482
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Instruction is great as long as it's the proper match to the driver.

Sorry I was not referring to you as a Noob. I meant that is what they tell all HPDE noobs. We are on the same page here, but you took my comment into a discussion that is not what I said. I only said tires are the best performance mod you can do and i was referring to the car itself. Regarding noobs however, some people are naturals, have the feel, and will progress way more in 5 days than some people do in 20. I'm good for calling a draw

Agree on the instruction part too.
100% agreed on some being natural and having much more natural talent and potential. I guess it's like anything else, but people forget this goes for drivers as well.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #7483
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The only time you can use that RPM on the street is if you're doing something illegal. I had one of those cars. And by the time the power kicked in I was already either way behind the other car or well above the speed limit.

High revs is a placebo. Look at the Hellcats. Their RPM limit bone stock is 6250. And that car will do 200 MPH. The car that revs to the moon is stuck at 180 MPH because of whatever reason. Going around a track, the ZL1 keeps up because it is a very well balanced car. So for all the talk about high revs, it doesn't do anything more than a well built low revving car does. It just makes people think it does because the engine is screaming while going around a corner. But trust me, it is no fun when you're in the lane that ends and some chick beats you in her Solstice because you didn't have enough room to get into your powerband.
Obviously the 5.0 is a rev happy "top end" motor, but some people completely talk out of their ass when it comes to this, ignoring that horsepower and mostly gearing have everything to do with a given cars "top end".

For example the lt1 gets shit sometimes for not having enough top end. An m6 camaro ss will handily beat an m6 5.0 gt in the 1/4 and usually all the way to 125+. At 140 the ss becomes a dog and is much slower than the GT to 150. However the corvette is faster than a 5.0 gt to 150 with the same lt1. Granted the aero and weight on the vette is better but it's mainly the gearing, at 139ish the ss has to shift into it's super tall 5th gear and becomes a snail, where as the vette and gt are geared to reach 150 (147 for the vette) in 4th gear. The 5.0 gt actually has a 1:1 4th gear just like the camaro but that extra 1k rpm redline lets it take 4th much further. The c7 also has a 1:1 4th gear but with a 3.42 rear end instead of a 3.73, 4th goes further than it does on the camaro. Yes revs and an engine that excells at high rpm definately helps and can be a advatange at times, but most people without a clue ignore the importance of gearing when talking about "top end".

According to C&D the lt1 c7 is just as fast as the super rev happy 526hp gt350 to 150mph. Though the gt350 may be slightly affected by gearing here as well, since even though its fairly aggressively geared with a 1:1 5th gear, it still has to shift into 5th gear before 150mph. 4th ends in at 140mph for it similar to the camaro ss but obviously it has a lot more power, revs, and a less steep 5th gear than the ss so it's obviously much quicker to 150mph than the ss. Probably less of an aerodynamic brick than the ss as well lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #7484
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Obviously the 5.0 is a rev happy "top end" motor, but some people completely talk out of their ass when it comes to this, ignoring that horsepower and mostly gearing have everything to do with a given cars "top end".

For example the lt1 gets shit sometimes for not having enough top end. An m6 camaro ss will handily beat an m6 5.0 gt in the 1/4 and usually all the way to 125+. At 140 the ss becomes a dog and is much slower than the GT to 150. However the corvette is faster than a 5.0 gt to 150 with the same lt1. Granted the aero and weight on the vette is better but it's mainly the gearing, at 139ish the ss has to shift into it's super tall 5th gear and becomes a snail, where as the vette and gt are geared to reach 150 (147 for the vette) in 4th gear. The 5.0 gt actually has a 1:1 4th gear just like the camaro but that extra 1k rpm redline lets it take 4th much further. The c7 also has a 1:1 4th gear but with a 3.42 rear end instead of a 3.73, 4th goes further than it does on the camaro. Yes revs and an engine that excells at high rpm definately helps and can be a advatange at times, but most people without a clue ignore the importance of gearing when talking about "top end".

According to C&D the lt1 c7 is just as fast as the super rev happy 526hp gt350 to 150mph. Though the gt350 may be slightly affected by gearing here as well, since even though its fairly aggressively geared with a 1:1 5th gear, it still has to shift into 5th gear before 150mph. 4th ends in at 140mph for it similar to the camaro ss but obviously it has a lot more power, revs, and a less steep 5th gear than the ss so it's obviously much quicker to 150mph than the ss. Probably less of an aerodynamic brick than the ss as well lol
exactly. a 16 GTPP with a 3.73 rear end drives completely different than a 17 GT350 with 3.73...it's all in the tranny gearing and that 350 is not meant to have it down low. that "crappy" mt-82 was made for much more fun down low before they changed the gearing around in it in 18(i think, could've been 17).

i was pretty underwhelmed with my 350 after making that jump, until i strung it out.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #7485
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I figure on my car I have a self imposes 100 MPH lift, I can use WOT only in 3rd so 75 MPH to 100 MPH in say 2 to 3 seconds.. that it.. that the reality of how much HP these cars make and how fast you can get stupid. Here is a video of a 6th gen losing it at speed and my car is squirrelly in first, second, and the bottom of third.

IMO something broke in the diff and locked up the rear.... happening soon on the GT500
Ouch. Uploader said it was supposedly a money shift from 4th to 2nd. Sounds about right.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #7486
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
exactly. a 16 GTPP with a 3.73 rear end drives completely different than a 17 GT350 with 3.73...it's all in the tranny gearing and that 350 is not meant to have it down low. that "crappy" mt-82 was made for much more fun down low before they changed the gearing around in it in 18(i think, could've been 17).

i was pretty underwhelmed with my 350 after making that jump, until i strung it out.
Yea it was 2018, with the refresh.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #7487
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
Ouch. Uploader said it was supposedly a money shift from 4th to 2nd. Sounds about right.
yeah you can see the tires lock just as he lost it. Racing can kill. After 8 flips the car is in surprisingly good condition.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #7488
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Instruction is great as long as it's the proper match to the driver.

Sorry I was not referring to you as a Noob. I meant that is what they tell all HPDE noobs. We are on the same page here, but you took my comment into a discussion that is not what I said. I only said tires are the best performance mod you can do and i was referring to the car itself. Regarding noobs however, some people are naturals, have the feel, and will progress way more in 5 days than some people do in 20. I'm good for calling a draw

Agree on the instruction part too.
All good brother.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #7489
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry I been a bit on the quiet side lately. Lots of life things happening. For starters, I got a promotion and am now a Director at a nursing home where I used to work at a few months ago. So that was pretty exciting. I start in my new role in a couple weeks!!

I also decided I wanted to add a second bike...well, a third bike, to my collection. I already have the Hyabusa. And then a friend of mine gave me her old 01 Ducati Monster. It needs a little bit of work but nothing major. I'll be getting it on the road soon. It'll be just something fun to whip around on. And then yesterday I decided on buying a brand new left-over 2018 H2-SX at a local dealership!! Man this bike is crazy fast. It is supercharged so that goes well with the cars I have, lol!! And I think it'll eat up the Busa. So here are some pics of the H2-SX and the Busa!!
Attached Images

BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #7490
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have a bunch of pics of some really cool bikes from my day at the dealership!! I will post them later.

Sorry to take the thread off course, lol!! Just felt like I should share some cool stuff with you guys in spite of everything going on in the world.

Speaking of world events, my final week in NY is next week!! So it'll be good to get back to a normal schedule. Or, I should say, it'll be good to get a new normal schedule going with this new position! I will be back on later...got a busy few days ahead of me. Hope you're all doing well!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote