Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and use the Schroth Quick Fit Pro for track duty with the stock seats. I also did my due diligence and spoke with the Schroth folks and learned that they don't recommend that system for the Camaro due to the angle of the belt going from the back seat to the top of the driver/passenger seat. I did not want to install a cage or harness bar so I decided to go with the Quick Fit Pro belts and have been very happy with my decision. In my opinion, the ZLE needs a 4-point or better belt to be driven on the track to keep the driver securely in place. I can put them in and take them out very quickly and they do not impact my daily use of the 3-point OE belts. I ordered the belts (with the BMW E90 buckle) from HMS Motorsports in Danvers, MA, who is an authorized dealer.
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS-ZLE View Post
I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and use the Schroth Quick Fit Pro for track duty with the stock seats. I also did my due diligence and spoke with the Schroth folks and learned that they don't recommend that system for the Camaro due to the angle of the belt going from the back seat to the top of the driver/passenger seat. I did not want to install a cage or harness bar so I decided to go with the Quick Fit Pro belts and have been very happy with my decision. In my opinion, the ZLE needs a 4-point or better belt to be driven on the track to keep the driver securely in place. I can put them in and take them out very quickly and they do not impact my daily use of the 3-point OE belts. I ordered the belts (with the BMW E90 buckle) from HMS Motorsports in Danvers, MA, who is an authorized dealer.
Thanks for the info!
Is anyone else using this system for the track? Although it my not be "certified". It seems like a great alternative to the roll cage or harness bar.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS-ZLE View Post
I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and use the Schroth Quick Fit Pro for track duty with the stock seats... I ordered the belts (with the BMW E90 buckle) from HMS Motorsports in Danvers, MA, who is an authorized dealer.

We have the same car. Just to confirm, the E90 buckle fits in our OEM buckle without any modifications?

Thank you.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Correct, the E90 buckle fit perfectly in the OE buckle with no modifications.
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #19
Techdude99

Thank you.

I have a Simpson Hybrid S. This looks like a safe alternative.

Now that I'm getting comfortable pushing the Camaro, this looks like a good investment.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude99 View Post
This looks like a safe alternative.
Well, Schroth says it's not. And they make it...

I don't undertand the logic of buying a safety device that the manufacture clearly and repeatedly advises against in this application...

Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #21
Techdude99

In your discussion with the manufacturer, what was their explanation of the impact to safety caused by the unacceptable angle?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #22
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I'm not the guy you should have that discussion with, but the usual issue with shoulder belt angle is spinal compression. Minor details, I know...

When a well-known manufacturer of safety equipment recommends against using one of their products that would otherwise bolt-in, I take their word for it, and look for other options.

If you already have a Simpson Hybrid S, that's probably the best possible combination with stock seats and belts.

If you want safer, you should be looking a 4pt. bar, race seat and 6pt harness.

If you want to compromise your safety, that's your choice... just don't call it a "safe alternative" when the people who make it say it's not.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #23
Techdude99

Yep, good to know. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Schroth makes some belts that catch the upper mount on rear seat shoulder belt. Unless they run the tests and pass its still not "approved" for our cars currently. There is videos on there website of the crash test.

There not the easiest company to get anything out of I tried for years with my Challenger.

I think also your questions is asking whether it is ok with your race sanctioning body and or are they DOT approved. there similar requirements but not the same.

Good Luck!

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #25
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude99 View Post
In your discussion with the manufacturer, what was their explanation of the impact to safety caused by the unacceptable angle?
If the angle of the harness is to low, when you crash you will compress your spine.

So for those of you saying it's a "safe alternative" you may feel safe because you are held tighter to your seat but you haven't crashed into a wall while wearing that belt yet.
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
If the angle of the harness is to low, when you crash you will compress your spine.

So for those of you saying it's a "safe alternative" you may feel safe because you are held tighter to your seat but you haven't crashed into a wall while wearing that belt yet.

Or its not been tested by them.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #27
dcxeternal

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Schroth Racing also has the Rallye 4 ASM Harnesses for the cars that arent approved for the quick fits

I noticed that Turn In Track Out on Youtube runs these with his regular oem 3point when he had the ZLE.

Its what I plan to run as well.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #28
Techdude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxeternal View Post
Schroth Racing also has the Rallye 4 ASM Harnesses for the cars that arent approved for the quick fits ... Its what I plan to run as well.
The literature states that the ASM is not approved for any head and neck restraints.
I assume this also includes the three point approved Hybrid S?