Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #43
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkout1 View Post
Traded my Z06 for my 1le. It's is aligned for track with gm track specs. I have corded 2 sets of front tires after just 3 trackdays on each set . going to have the alignment rechecked. first set were the GY second set were perilli slicks. I do track it monthly haven't had the car to long. it seems to be a tire eater. does anyone get more than 4 track days on there tires? My friend has the same car and his tire use is about the same. I'm not a novice driver either so usually hitting it pretty hard. Thanks for any suggestions.
This seems to be about average for the car, unfortunately. I have had the same results with the OEM GYSC3Rs and a set of Nitto NT01s in OEM sizes.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #44
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have 10 track days so far this season with my stock 2019 ZLE and am only getting 3-4 track days (typical DE event with 4 25 minute sessions) out of the front OE Goodyear tires. I have the car set at the GM recommended track alignment and keep it that way for street driving, but use a second set of OE wheels with the Michelin Pilot 4S tires for the street. I aim for 34-35 psi hot in the front and rear for track duty. The rear tires do much better and are getting even wear. I am an instructor with my DE club and drive the car pretty hard on the track. I would love to find a fix without sacrificing cornering performance.
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #45
Black E

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
R888r’s do last a bit longer but can’t match the GU3R performance. Close but not quite the same
Black E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #46
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I run the G3R on my SS 1LE. When I have time, I flip the fronts on the rims (dismount / remount) and maybe get one or two more track days. [-2.7 front camber]

As mentioned, the rears, on both my car and ZL1's, last MUCH longer than the fronts. Just moving them side to side on the rear helps a lot. I also do that on the fronts, too.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #47
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I run the G3R on my SS 1LE. When I have time, I flip the fronts on the rims (dismount / remount) and maybe get one or two more track days. [-2.7 front camber]

As mentioned, the rears, on both my car and ZL1's, last MUCH longer than the fronts. Just moving them side to side on the rear helps a lot. I also do that on the fronts, too.
Yes, I make a habit of buying 4 fronts and 2 rears with every new set of track tires I get for my ZLE. Fronts wear about 2X faster.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #48
AZ_1LE

I got the alignment re-set on my 2019 1LE (street settings) because it was pulling a little and the wheel was a little off-center after 6400 miles and these are the new numbers -

Front:
Left camber: -1.3
Right camber: -1.4

Left toe: .09
Right toe: .09

Rear:
Left camber: -1.4
Right camber: -1.2

Left toe: .12
Right toe: .10

After getting home, I used my toe plates to measure front/rear toe and got -
Front total toe-in: 1/8"
Rear total toe-in: 3/16"

Almost 1/4" of toe-in in the rear seems a little high, but it shows dead smack in the middle on both sides for factory spec.

I am still on the factory G3R's and they're wearing very nicely.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #49
arichards46

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Really good thread. Interesting because my main concern with my '18 ZL1 1LE is the cost of tracking. That's all I use it for and tires/brakes have proved to be the big expense. Too rough on the street for an old geezer like me.

OEM track settings got me unacceptable outer tire wear on the fronts and pretty good on the rears. I went to -3.4 camber and -0.6 total toe on the fronts for the next set...left the rears the same. Good improvement but still outer tire wear on the fronts. Perplexed, I consulted my local track tech shop. He recommended going back to -3.0 and zero toe on the fronts and going to the soft setting on the rear sway bar. I've also played with cold tire pressure settings and settled on 26 psi rear and 29 psi front. Still getting a tiny bit more outside wear on the fronts than I'd like so am experimenting with going up a pound in pressure before changing toe to slightly out.

You know the thing that occurs to me about all this stuff is that is that there is not a perfect setting on the equipment because we are all different operators. If you are 18 with your hair on fire and refuse to brake until the 50' sign is in your grill or an old fart like me just trying to shave a tenth off my best time you will have drastically different setting requirements to get the result you want.

I love my 1LE. I'm in awe of the brakes and the torque but the cost of tires and brakes are my biggest $$$ concern. How to minimize that and maximize the fun...
arichards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #50
LSA

Drives: Fast
I initially thought the inside wear may be due to dynamic toe.

Now that I’ve been through a couple sets of tires and several alignments, I think the issue is the toe setting is not held. It moves after a single session and you end up with 3-4x the amount of toe you thought you had. Which will destroy your tires.

As far as heat cycling out, what is the evidence for that? Not all R comps heat cycle out. The NT01 for example is stable till they cord.
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #51
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
With the track spec alignment on a new set of 3Rs, I had uniform wear on all four corners after two days at VIR. One day at Roebling with the same settings pretty much destroyed both fronts. Where you run makes a huge difference in determining the optimum setup.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #52
Swift016

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
With the track spec alignment on a new set of 3Rs, I had uniform wear on all four corners after two days at VIR. One day at Roebling with the same settings pretty much destroyed both fronts. Where you run makes a huge difference in determining the optimum setup.
Long sweeping hi G turns at RRR Will do it with any under steer...IMO...
Swift016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #53
arichards46

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I've never run anything but the GY3R's so have nothing to compare to when it comes to heat cycling out. However, I can tell you that the grip falls off the cliff...I mean a difference of 5 seconds per lap at my 2.36 mile home track (MSR Houston). I've been attributing that to heat cycling out. I figure it doesn't really matter since they are so closed to cording by that time.

I confirm two fronts for every rear tire and getting about 400+/- track miles out of the fronts. I have a new set ready to go and believe I will follow Tire Rack's advice on heat cycling them right out of the gate...see if it makes a difference in longevity.

Has anybody played around with rear sway bar settings?
arichards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #54
AZ_1LE

I'll be switching to the non-R supercar3's when mine are toast, which will be soon. I love them just as much as these because you still get most of the grip of the R's but they'll last as least twice as long.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #55
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
I have also found that I go through fronts 2X to 3X faster than rears. After reading these posts I'll stop chasing elusive alignment settings and just accept that this is the nature of the car when used in the track.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #56
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
If the issue really is caused by the toe changing from heavy cornering, what could be done to address that?
Are there any parts currently available that would correct or improve tire cording issue on the ZLE front suspension?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote