Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #29
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1z350 View Post
I just got the 2 inch camaro (zl1) headers and they are great. I didn’t go Texas speed because pipe and collector size plus price was too close to kooks at that point just buy the kooks. I got maximizer (obx) 2 inch primary with 3.5 collector and 3 inch system all the way to the muffler for 650 shipped. Has a lifetime warranty through the seller directly. They look great. Welds actually nicer then my old arh so shows how technology over the years helps with this stuff. I will be using a tig to weld the whole system up so won’t be using the clamps that it comes with. For the money I’m impressed. I’ll use the 1000 bucks I saved towards the fuel system and new blower where going cheap won’t cut it
link for the maximizer for the zl1?
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #30
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I just got the 2 inch camaro (zl1) headers and they are great. I didn’t go Texas speed because pipe and collector size plus price was too close to kooks at that point just buy the kooks. I got maximizer (obx) 2 inch primary with 3.5 collector and 3 inch system all the way to the muffler for 650 shipped. Has a lifetime warranty through the seller directly. They look great. Welds actually nicer then my old arh so shows how technology over the years helps with this stuff. I will be using a tig to weld the whole system up so won’t be using the clamps that it comes with. For the money I’m impressed. I’ll use the 1000 bucks I saved towards the fuel system and new blower where going cheap won’t cut it
I didn't realize Maximizer (OBX) was already making LTs for the 6th Gen. But then again I haven't looked either, lol!! As far as I know, the only difference between OBX and Maximizer is that the OBX stuff is polished and Maximizer isn't. And Maximizer comes in 2 inch while OBX is 1-7/8ths. But that was a couple years ago. I'm not sure if that is the same now. Anyway, good deal! OBX were great on my 5th Gen SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
link for the maximizer for the zl1?
They are on Ebay. Go on and type in "Maximizer headers 2017 ZL1" and it should pop up. BTW the SS LTs are the same as the ZL1 LTs last I checked a few months ago.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Exhaust-Man...o%20ZL1%206.2L
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #31
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Then why post my quote. To be a dick? This is typical of your responses so I’m not surprised. I post what I do so people that don’t have a clue get one. Yea not for everyone and people that are knowledgeable but some new to this can get a better idea off what others experienced. That can’t always be done it a few words. I had 9 second street cars in the 90s and built all my own stuff as I still do. I don’t pay someone to work on my cars as honestly no one does the work as good as I will do it myself. So try to share that with people new to this.
Same reason I posed on my bypass findings. My car on a tune no pulleys makes 12 lbs the same as what most spent 800 bucks on a lower to do. Probably give 1-2 psi back with long tubes on it. Hoping not but might end up with a lower anyway.
Don't you know that your opinion is wrong? Especially when someone who has been working in a shop for 2 years has a different opinion, lol!! Your post was spot on. I wouldn't say issues with ARH are the norm. But a handful of them do have problems as every company out there will inevitably have problems. But ARH does have higher quality and put more R&D in their work. How much of that is actually useful or worth paying for is up for debate. I remember some of these shops years ago would not install headers unless they were ARH or Kooks. And some claimed they would not install OBX or any Ebay headers. Their claim was that they had soo many issues with the cheaper quality stuff that they would not do it anymore. I thought they were full of shit, lol!! I put OBX on my SS and I didn't have one issue at all. Back then several others also used OBX on higher HP builds and had no issues. Even the no-name-brand headers on Ebay...several members bought them too. I remember 2 members had to fab up a few things to get them to fit but after dynoing his car he was making the same HP as the top brands. And he bought those headers for just over $200, lol!! Others who bought them had no problem with them at all. I personally will stick with OBX or TSP...or even Maximizer now that I know they're making stuff. I'm not in to spending a thousand dollars on some headers just to get the same gains as a $500 set.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #32
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
But ARH is the only Header company that are not only made in the USA but the steel itself is made in the USA. All the other companies source steel from China or similar countries.
Just got this back from Chris Clark at Kooks:

We have never used steel from China. As a matter of fact, we moved to North Carolina in 2009, the main driver of this move is that our manufacturing plant is only 3/4 of a mile from our steel mill. So not sure where you heard that from, but no we do not use steel from China.

Thanks!
Chris Clark
Kooks Headers and Exhaust
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #33
Red Lightening

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro Convertible
Kooks has high quality at a great price!

Just installed Kooks 1 7/8 with high flow cats, ($1,388, RPI) on mine, the quality was awesome, fitment perfect, no issues whatsoever, in fact installed with "Titan" 15.5" hydraulic ramp jacks. They gave approx 24" of clearance and the Kooks went right in! Coupled with AWE Touring, (Wildhammer $1,245-came in just 3 days!) and WOW, sounds amazing! Will be getting tuned in a few weeks, we will see what gains?
Attached Images

Red Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
777Jackpot777

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2018 Tahoe RST Edition
I went with Texas speed headers, I did not see a reason to spend nearly 2k on a set of headers that will function exactly the same. Also don’t plan on keeping the car forever. You can buy TSP headers and get them ceramic coated and polished for under half the price of the competitors.

777Jackpot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Jackpot777 View Post
I went with Texas speed headers, I did not see a reason to spend nearly 2k on a set of headers that will function exactly the same. Also don’t plan on keeping the car forever. You can buy TSP headers and get them ceramic coated and polished for under half the price of the competitors.

I totally agree! besides there flanges and tubing thickness is same gauge as 2k headers!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #36
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ill always say afe power cause thats what i have and people love it in person lol
Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #37
RPWoodbine

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1,nightfall gray,A10
Don't have these, but have heard decent things about them. That's a heck of a deal for full headers/exhaust all the way back to the stock muffler.

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html
RPWoodbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #38
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Guys, OP asked for the best headers. The answer is ARH or Kooks. Everything else is either good, sufficient, okay, or possibly even equal with less cost.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #39
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Just got this back from Chris Clark at Kooks:

We have never used steel from China. As a matter of fact, we moved to North Carolina in 2009, the main driver of this move is that our manufacturing plant is only 3/4 of a mile from our steel mill. So not sure where you heard that from, but no we do not use steel from China.

Thanks!
Chris Clark
Kooks Headers and Exhaust
You heard that because that's exactly where their steel used to come from. Back when both Kooks and ARH were both sponsors on here that was the big knock on Kooks even though 304 stainless is 304 no matter where it comes from. Looks like they now source their steel here which is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Guys, OP asked for the best headers. The answer is ARH or Kooks. Everything else is either good, sufficient, okay, or possibly even equal with less cost.
^^^This
Old 11-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #40
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Can LT headers and high flow cats be mixed and matched in terms of different brands?
I’d like to get cheaper 2” Texas Speed Headers, ceramic coat them and the get the highest quality hi flow cats I can find.
I’ve read on the forum that you can’t trust hi flow cats when increasing power even by 100 whp but Jannetty Racing says otherwise...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #41
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Ceramic coated vs wrapped headers in the ZL1?
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #42
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Ceramic coated vs wrapped headers in the ZL1?

Ceramic but have the insides coated too!
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote