#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
Destroyer_1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Baffled Oil Pan

Hello Everyone,

Ive been looking around for an oil pan baffle setup for are cars however I haven't been able to turn anything up. Yes I know a dry sump will be ideal however they can be very very expensive. The closes thing I can find so far is a "GM GEN V LT ROAD-RACE OIL PAN BAFFLE" made by Holley however its designed to work with the Holley GM Gen V Retro-fit Oil Pan.

Holley Oil Pan Baffle:
https://www.holley.com/products/acce...s/parts/302-30

GM Gen V Retro-fit Oil Pan:
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/302-20

If anyone has any info to chime on with it would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Destroyer_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
I haven’t seen any dip in minimum oil pressure in sustained 1.5g running non-dot slicks on track. Seems 10quarts is enough to keep oil pump pickup submerged on track. Don’t get me wrong, I had a baffled oil pan on my Boxster S because it was needed. Seems we don’t need one. I know of a ton of LS3’s that had oil starvation issues on track, but those also had much less oil capacity, 2-4 quarts less oil depending on application.

Interesting aside- do you know what Porsche Did to the GT4 motor when they went to homoligate the GT4 Club Sport for FIA international racing where it will only race on slicks? Overfilled the stock system by 1 quart, and recalibrated the electronic dipstick.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
Destroyer_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I haven’t seen any dip in minimum oil pressure in sustained 1.5g running non-dot slicks on track. Seems 10quarts is enough to keep oil pump pickup submerged on track. Don’t get me wrong, I had a baffled oil pan on my Boxster S because it was needed. Seems we don’t need one. I know of a ton of LS3’s that had oil starvation issues on track, but those also had much less oil capacity, 2-4 quarts less oil depending on application.

Interesting aside- do you know what Porsche Did to the GT4 motor when they went to homoligate the GT4 Club Sport for FIA international racing where it will only race on slicks? Overfilled the stock system by 1 quart, and recalibrated the electronic dipstick.
I haven't have seen a dip in oil pressure yet, my favorite track is Auto Club speedway (Roval) and I go into turn 1 at 155mph and hold 145mph on the bank on Michelin PS4S's I plan run Cup 2's soon and I will be able to hold a lot more speed. Later this year I maybe running 18" Apex SM-10 wrapped in Michelin slicks so I will be seeing a lot more speed. I more of want it as a peace of mind.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
You should have zero issues with oil starvation! The GM Engineers designed the car extremely well for Track Use
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 AM   #5
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer_1LE View Post
I haven't have seen a dip in oil pressure yet, my favorite track is Auto Club speedway (Roval) and I go into turn 1 at 155mph and hold 145mph on the bank on Michelin PS4S's I plan run Cup 2's soon and I will be able to hold a lot more speed. Later this year I maybe running 18" Apex SM-10 wrapped in Michelin slicks so I will be seeing a lot more speed. I more of want it as a peace of mind.
More speed on cup 2's YES! "Much More Speed" NO! Unless you're racing to win something I find its not worth it to buy cup 2's. the G3's are very well made for track use
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Install an oil accumulator.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I haven’t seen any dip in minimum oil pressure in sustained 1.5g running non-dot slicks on track. Seems 10quarts is enough to keep oil pump pickup submerged on track. Don’t get me wrong, I had a baffled oil pan on my Boxster S because it was needed. Seems we don’t need one...
I'm with Provoste here; I see no evidence to date with my datalogs to indicate an oil starvation issue on the Gen V.

It all comes down to the car. On my R53 MINI and Lotus Exige S, yes baffled pans were wise when running Hoosier's. My turbo Miata didn't need one however. Anecdotally, my two cars that needed them were transverse and the two that don't are longitudinally mounted engines.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Reason #3,427 that GM voided a warranty for engine failure - user installed oil pan baffle. These cars have been going for several years now, hold 10 quarts of oil, and have had no reported oiling issues that I've seen.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Destroyer_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
More speed on cup 2's YES! "Much More Speed" NO! Unless you're racing to win something I find its not worth it to buy cup 2's. the G3's are very well made for track use
Right now Im running PS4S's and those are a 300tw tire and I'm already holding a lot of speed. Ive driven on Cup 2's and they are well worth the money.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Destroyer_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
Reason #3,427 that GM voided a warranty for engine failure - user installed oil pan baffle. These cars have been going for several years now, hold 10 quarts of oil, and have had no reported oiling issues that I've seen.
I agree with what your saying just looking around as when these cars first came out everyone wanted them to have dry sump or at least a baffled oil pan. When my car is full track prepped it holds 11 quarts

Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
I agree with what your saying just looking around as when these cars first came out everyone wanted them to have dry sump or at least a baffled oil pan. When my car is full track prepped it holds 11 quarts
Allow me to chime in:

Not aware of anyone wanting dry sump with LT1 ever. Corvettes excepted. Everyone did want one with LS3 but that's a very different animal.

You wont get tons of speed increase on cup2s vs G3s. Their grip is almost identical plus/minus. Save your money Of course slicks will up the Gs but then again Randy Pobst did some VERY fast laps on a Roval in a 1le with no ill effects. Id expect a seasoned amateur to match his pace with slicks on. More or less.

If you want peace of mind (read: drive line warranty) do NOT touch oiling systems as GM will invalidate the warranty for sure. Seen it happen many times with various cars over the years.

Lastly, given what you state as oil capacity when your car is "track prepped" at 11 quarts it seems you are OVERFILLING by a quart which is a no no for LT1. It is recommended for various other GM motors incl Camaro's LS motor, but NOT for LT1.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...When my car is full track prepped it holds 11 quarts
You mis-read your performance supplement? V6 gets +1 quart for track time, but the V8 does not. ...unless you have a non-stock oiling system.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Min oil pressure on my friends modified ZLE on slicks was 29 and he hit 1.54G on that lap according to the PDR data.

My stock 1LE on the same track hit a min of 36.5 @ 1.20G.

Neither of these low pressures were on the same lap as the max Gs
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You mis-read your performance supplement? V6 gets +1 quart for track time, but the V8 does not. ...unless you have a non-stock oiling system.
Yep!

Unfortunately it is easy to do, given both manuals get a solid F for clarity and completeness imo
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote