Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #29
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
RE the whole electric thing......

Electrics have their place with family cars and all the people who think they're environmentally friendly. But a car like the Camaro will never work as an electric car no matter how fast it is or how much faster it can be. People who buy Camaros are gear heads, er um, petrol heads

I really believe, and in fact I would prefer this to be the case, that GM would and SHOULD kill the Camaro completely before turning it into an electric car. Or at minimum, change the nameplate.

Part of the fun of owning a Camaro is firing up the engine and hearing it rev through the gears. Whether you have the turbo 4 or V6 or LT1, it's about the gas and oil under the hood.
I like hybrid cars... The kind that burn gas and rubber...
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #30
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I'm kinda diggin the Mustang Mach-E.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #31
petraman

Drives: 2013 Audi A4 (SS 1LE soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Bolt, Leaf, iPace, Etron, Taycan, to name some. Plenty of battery capacity beyond Tesla.
My point, exactly. Those cars are branded to be niche models... None of them were expected to sell more than 20k per year. Even with its recently low sales figures, the Camaro sells more than double that. Ford just announced that they're limiting the first year of the Mustang Mach-E to 50k units due to battery production, so I think my last post holds up.

Not to mention, I work in the auto industry and have been affected by these limitations.
petraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Electric car haters sound so ridiculous.

Keep trying to resist progress... With weak reasons anchored in subjective vague personal nonsense to avoid real points. It's sad group think...

The direction diy power is going for ice engines is the opposite direction it needs to be going... That isn't going to change. Electric, once scaled out will allow that to reset, since power will no longer be limited by emissions and the entire thing is so incredibly more simple than even a tiny 4 cyl.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #33
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
This hybrid does so so..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KsLi7HgSuhI
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #34
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
This hybrid sounds alright too.

Source: C8 Corvette ZR1 to Get Hybrid Twin-Turbo DOHC V-8 With 900 HP!
https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...8-with-900-hp/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #35
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by petraman View Post
My point, exactly. Those cars are branded to be niche models... None of them were expected to sell more than 20k per year. Even with its recently low sales figures, the Camaro sells more than double that. Ford just announced that they're limiting the first year of the Mustang Mach-E to 50k units due to battery production, so I think my last post holds up.

Not to mention, I work in the auto industry and have been affected by these limitations.
So you know the planning volumes? Did not realize those were made public?

As best that I know the Bolt alone had expected volumes well above 20,000 units. If your point is these models aren’t selling as expected, then agreed. But Tesla doesn’t have some battery volume secret sauce. Sorry.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #36
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Electric car haters sound so ridiculous.

Keep trying to resist progress... With weak reasons anchored in subjective vague personal nonsense to avoid real points. It's sad group think...

The direction diy power is going for ice engines is the opposite direction it needs to be going... That isn't going to change. Electric, once scaled out will allow that to reset, since power will no longer be limited by emissions and the entire thing is so incredibly more simple than even a tiny 4 cyl.
You clearly miss the point. Forget emissions. Forget instant power and torque. Forget everything you just said. Because none of it applies here.

It has nothing to do with progress.

It has everything to do with the same reasons why vinyl records outsold CDs this year for the first time since 1986 and why people now have thousands of dollars wrapped up in high end turn tables and 180 gram vinyl today. Not 1975.

Think about it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 AM   #37
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Let's forget the rumors about a delay of the 7th gen for a moment:

Chevy just revealed their C8 with a brand new LT2 engine, a lot of new technology, premium interior, etc. The C8 will be a huge success in sales and is most likely the reason why the Camaro6 Z/28 never came to life.

I personally think that the 6th Gen Camaro was not the best thing for selling the C7. Of course the C7 is more sportier and faster on track, but a Camaro SS was pretty damn close but offers way more practically for way less money. Same goes for the ZL1 1LE, which is an absolute track monster.

So I guess Chevy is smart enough to know that they should totally focus on the C8. With no 7th Gen in sight (and maybe an intentional spread rumor?) a lof people that are looking into loaded SS models are likely to look into buying a base C8.

I can't imagine that they won't sell an 2 door entry sportscars in the future. But with electric and hybrid stuff growing I'm sure it's the right move to wait how the market evolves. The 6th Gen is still a great car, so there is no rush for a 7th gen. Ford moved their 7th gen Mustang too and Mustang6 2nd-facelift prototypes have already been spotted, Dodge is also still pretty silent about a new challenger.

So enjoy the Camaro we have. I would love to see a 7th gen with LT2 engine and the interior quality of the C8. But I get that now is the worst timing for a new sportscar since the whole sportscar market is not sure where to go.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #38
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
I personally think that the 6th Gen Camaro was not the best thing for selling the C7. Of course the C7 is more sportier and faster on track, but a Camaro SS was pretty damn close but offers way more practically for way less money. Same goes for the ZL1 1LE, which is an absolute track monster.
There has been some talk that the $60,000 base price for the C8 is a one year only kind of deal, just for 2020. Just to give everyone the "oh wow" dropped jaw factor for the initial release. That the base price could go up for 2021. Or perhaps for 2021 they make the Z51 package standard and have some even greater performance modifications up their sleeves available for options and just raise the base price accordingly.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #39
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Has anyone thought about if GM goes all electric like Mary B. says they will ,then what will become of the new C8 Corvette? Will it become obsolete in 2 to 3 years then or will GM convert it over to an E-powered electric engine? Didn’t she say that GM’s direction to electric is 2023 for all vehicles? Seems impossible to me but very probable that it will happen. I’m just throwing this out there to everyone here!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #40
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Corvette and Camaro have competed in somewhat of the same space. With the c8 changes, this opens a huge opportunity for the Camaro because it's no longer in that space. GM just needs to do it correctly.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #41
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Has anyone thought about if GM goes all electric like Mary B. says they will ,then what will become of the new C8 Corvette? Will it become obsolete in 2 to 3 years then or will GM convert it over to an E-powered electric engine? Didn’t she say that GM’s direction to electric is 2023 for all vehicles? Seems impossible to me but very probable that it will happen. I’m just throwing this out there to everyone here!
No, nobody said that. Where do you get this stuff? You sound like a doomsday prepper dude.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #42
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
... Even if there is no new 7th Gen. Camaro, or there is and you do not like the direction it's going, there are plenty of other great options.

Unless you happen to like V8s with manuals. In which case there will only be two. Mustang and Challenger.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote