Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Wix here, no defective seals or leaking.
Attached Images

1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Channel locks?! WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
I'm at home today and after I pulled out my ZL1 and came back home I noticed a 2 inch oil spot where my car had been sitting since Sunday. I then drove the car on some ramps I made and found my PF64 loose(1/4 a quart of low oil) with a drop or two of oil on it and some on the oil pan. Once a filter contacts the surface you turn 3/4 of a turn more, or a full turn and check for leaks, I then tighten the filter with a pair of channel locks 1/4 a turn, then half a turn more, I could still remove the filter by hand. Long story short I read something about on turbo charger and supercharger motors. the inside of some filters collapses, and I noticed the pf64 is very soft when hot, and I think can cause motor issues in the long run. Mobil 1 sales a M1-113A with a metal case on the inside, twice as much $ wise but worth the peace of mind ! I think now some of those oil pump failures was due to pumps and pf64.

Side note a family member of mine had a pro charger 69 camaro that kept leaking oil, he replaced the rear main oil seal on a LS1, kept leaking, now we think it was that pf64, and I'm doing a twin turbo for my 72 chevelle , and this filter will not be on it.
Bro, if you are using channel locks, then you’re doing it wrong. How do you even get a grip with them anyway without crushing the body given that the filter is shrouded by the pan on 1/4 to 1/3 of the circumference....

Or are you just trolling?

Make sure the gasket is seated and lubed. Hand tight to spec, no more.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Bro, if you are using channel locks, then you’re doing it wrong. How do you even get a grip with them anyway without crushing the body given that the filter is shrouded by the pan on 1/4 to 1/3 of the circumference....

Or are you just trolling?

Make sure the gasket is seated and lubed. Hand tight to spec, no more.
Yep it don’t need much to seal. Thinking about it now I’m also surprised you were able to get channel locks in there.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
An oil filter is a low cost product produced in a very high volume. With the current lack of labor in the manufacturing sector in the US right now I would bet there is a high level of automation involved in this manufacturing process. Like it or not, there WILL be product that gets shipped that is out of spec and faulty, the only way around this is 100% part inspection and that is not happening on a product with a $5.00 price tag.

Although I do use the AC Delco PF64 in the ZL1, I use WIX in all my other vehicles and am a firm believer in WIX and have ran them in all my cars over the years. I have found a total of 2 of them that were not correctly manufactured. I inspect every oil filter I install with a flash light for any visible defect, which is how I caught the two occurrences over the years. Both times the respective store that sold me the filter exchanged it no questions asked. I still use WIX and will continue to do so and believe they are a great filter for the money.

My point is all products will have some level of quality issue at some point, it's unavoidable. Also user install error is a factor, be sure to use the proper tool to tighten an oil filter. If the outer case is dented it very well could cause the sealing flange to pull away slightly. I would never run an oil filter with a dented case.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
As far as hand vs tools, there are tools that work fine for installing and removing oil filters. Not everyone has the hand strength required and on some cars they are much harder to remove vs install.

The key is, there are instructions on the oil filter that tell you how much to tighten it, it's usually 3/4 of a turn after the filter seal makes contact with the block.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
There not junk, I’ve installed 2 so far and no problems. Products sometimes fail, Wix, Mobil1, any. Heck I still don’t understand why a car can be deemed a legal “lemon”, when so many are just fine.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #21
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Wix XP here as well on every car/truck we own.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #22
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Ok ! I will change the word junk in the title, I'm 49 years old, 2 years of auto mechanic's in high school (I know I'm no ASE mechanic), And have maintained alot of performance vehicles/ motocycles. Now I know you tighten by hand only, 3/4 of a turn once the rubber seal makes contact, done that two months ago, no leaks or problems. The filter was a tad to loose with maybe a drop or two on it period, I know they make oil filter cups to fit the filter, Yes I need to by one, I used the channel locks very gently and only made a 1/4 turn then another 1/4 turn, I never put a dent in the filter. And the filter is just to flexible when hot on the side by hand grip(6,4 260), and I'm not a troll, I'm a serious ZL1 fan/member. I wish you guys would look inside of the 64 core, it has a metal 4 star at the top, a hard plastic ring that's from top to bottom, and the round paper filter, I still believe the filter can flex, move and leak when under high horsepower runs. I and no shape or form or fashion ment to hurt feelings or create a monster topic. Thank you for your input, there is no left over seal on the new filter, I cleaned the area/surface when installing , slightly oil the lip/rubber seal , and hand(always by hand ,I just wanted to make sure it was not my imagination that it was still easy to remove, so I used the grips)tighten it. Maybe it just went bad, but to work a month or two, then act up, I dont need it. And by the way there is no leaks as we speak of, But once you run something you should not have to recheck it after you run/idle and check for leaks, I believe if it doesn't leak in 5 minutes of running the vehicle should be fine. It's not like putting heads on a car right?

Last edited by Revalot; 10-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #23
Revalot

And When I got the car it had a 64 on with 2700 miles, and the filter had a film of oil all over it, from leaking, and there was no oil above the filter or leaks anywhere else. I'm just going to get a better brand of filter. The way some are posting you would think I went out and bought a GT500 LOL !!! If it ain't Toyota for every day, and Suzuki or Kawasaki sportbikes, and LS or LT4 and up I ain't buying it !
Thanks for the Wix part #
And so the mobil 1 M1-113A is a no go ?
Looks like the LT4 and LQ4 will be getting the wix, I haven't had a issue with the Lq4 in my chevelle, but its bone stock, once the turbo's go on the 64 will come off.

Last edited by Revalot; 10-05-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #24
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Are you now trying to tell us Yamaha and Honda sport bikes are junk??? Lol i kid, i kid.

On topic, i did buy this filter in question today...but only because i have not decided to mess with my warranty yet. When i do, likely will put the Wix on, so thanks for the link whoever posted it.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #25
Revalot

No sir ! Yamaha and Honda make fine bikes, but the track record shows that when hard racing is at hand for hours on end its Kawasaki or Suzuki, and if it's one only, its Suzuki all the way and I ride a Kawasaki right now ! The truth is the truth ! You know I wonder why when you look at a toyota paper filter it has a 1 inch hole, 4 1/2 inch lengthwise hole in the center for a 5 inch metal tube that's perforated with holes ? Could it be the metal tube, keeps the filter from flexing ? And the hard plastic cup that holds the correct position is better than a thin metal filter(plus eco friendly). I want my warranty also, but if I can maintain a vehicle well enough that the dealer never see's it for repairs, that's a big win. And I swear I will never use tools that dont belong on a vehicle that's not designed for it, Now get rid of your vicegrips, channel locks, pliers, needle nose, crescent wrenches and gator grips ,anything that's not specific for your auto or anything you own and put them in the dumpster . LOL !!!!!
Old 10-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Revalot, I have had no problems with using the Mobil 1 filter or a Napa Gold! Maybe you should put a Motorcraft filter on your engine(just kidding) since folks think that using a good quality aftermarket oil filter instead of the GM one is sacrilege!
Old 10-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #27
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
No sir ! Yamaha and Honda make fine bikes, but the track record shows that when hard racing is at hand for hours on end its Kawasaki or Suzuki, and if it's one only, its Suzuki all the way and I ride a Kawasaki right now ! The truth is the truth ! You know I wonder why when you look at a toyota paper filter it has a 1 inch hole, 4 1/2 inch lengthwise hole in the center for a 5 inch metal tube that's perforated with holes ? Could it be the metal tube, keeps the filter from flexing ? And the hard plastic cup that holds the correct position is better than a thin metal filter(plus eco friendly). I want my warranty also, but if I can maintain a vehicle well enough that the dealer never see's it for repairs, that's a big win. And I swear I will never use tools that dont belong on a vehicle that's not designed for it, Now get rid of your vicegrips, channel locks, pliers, needle nose, crescent wrenches and gator grips ,anything that's not specific for your auto or anything you own and put them in the dumpster . LOL !!!!!

Just a thought - where did you buy your filters? Is it possible they are knock-offs? I only say that because looking at my PF64, it appears to be very well built.

here's a link to a cut open PF64 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lter-pics.html

This guy likes Napa Gold and Wix (apparently made by the same company), so go WIX as an alternative i guess.

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 10-06-2019 at 11:52 AM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote