Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Moldraxian

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Incredibly Frustrated with 2016 2SS

I bought a 2016 2SS A8 with 27 miles on it. I love the car to death, get all the fluids changed, don't do burnouts, don't race with it, a few pulls here and there.
Last year I had issues with multiple dealerships when it came to servicing the car.

The first oil change I got, the dealership drained all the oil, replaced with 3 quarts of oil and left the plug out. Luckily, the engine did not seize and survived the event. The same dealership attempted to void my warranty because they claimed I "modified" the bolt on the trunk hydraulic system.

About 2 months later I got rear differential groan. I go to a different dealership, who claimed the sound was normal and that I should not worry. Immediately, I went to Valvoline, and had them replaced the rear differential fluid. The fluid was black and full of metal. I brought the car back to the dealership as the groan was happening even after the suggested fix from this forum (Helped for about a week). The dealership takes my car for two weeks, then calls me saying they couldn't replicate the issue. I take one of the tech's on a test drive, as I am backing out of the parking space, you can clearly hear the rear differential groaning. The tech finally admits there is a significant groaning coming from the rear.

The dealership flushed the fluid 3 times as suggested by the bulletin but the rear diff was damaged and a full replacement was ordered. I winterized my car a week after the new differential was put in.

Edit: Of the 21 months I have owned this car, 10 of those months, it has been in winter storage. Another 5-6 months, it has been in the shop for repair. Leaving 6-7 months of actual drive time where most of that time was experiencing groaning or rubble strip shuddering.

After taking the car out of winter storage, about 500 miles later, the rear differential starts to groan again. At the same time, when the car goes to shift, it gets stuck in between gears and felt like driving over a rumble strip.

I bring the car with the paperwork from the last fix and tell them that both the rear differential and the Torque Converter seem to be not working properly. The dealership tells me they did not experience any issues with the TC and the Rear differential. After about 2 weeks, my car would not get out of the rumble strip shaking, the issue no longer only occurred when switching between gears. The dealership experienced the shaking, replaced the fluid in the torque converter and claimed that they had fixed my rear differential.

Not 6 days later, I get the rear differential groan AGAIN. I love this car but I am getting extremely irritated at the horrendous customer service I get at these dealerships. I love my Camaro as everything about it is perfect with the exception that it wasn't a ZL1. I do not know what to do other than part ways with this car. I have not been able to drive this car, without it shaking or groaning since July of last year.

If anyone has ideas on what to do, please help.
Moldraxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Is there a lemon law in your state?
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Sorry can’t help you, my patience with cars that don’t work is very low. My philosophy has always been if it can’t do what I need then I’ll get one that can. There are several forum posts about these issues, I would eat my losses and cut that baby loose. Your satisfaction appears to already be negative and it’s only going to get worse. Go find you a car that makes you smile when you drive it and not one that is a garage queen in a repair shop
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Sorry can’t help you, my patience with cars that don’t work is very low. My philosophy has always been if it can’t do what I need then I’ll get one that can. There are several forum posts about these issues, I would eat my losses and cut that baby loose. Your satisfaction appears to already be negative and it’s only going to get worse. Go find you a car that makes you smile when you drive it and not one that is a garage queen in a repair shop
Time to just make that ZL1 decision!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Lemon law....

2017 Camaro 2SS
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Time to just make that ZL1 decision!

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
sounds like half of the problems were incompetent dealers... of which it wont matter what Camaro or Corvette you buy, you're ganna have this issue... maybe its time to move on...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
two words: lemon law
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #9
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Note to self... never buy first year of new models.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
So, I typed a lot of stuff and chrome crashed, so I'll bullet point it this time.

Make sure the dealership is going by the bulletins on your "repairs". I.E. make sure they use the pico scope to confirm a ~20hz rumble for your torque converter issue.

Make sure they flush and fill your dif, do 5 figure 8s, then reflush and fill to fix your dif groan (this may need to be repeated up to 3 times however).

If you've had enough and believe the dealership(s) aren't treating you properly, get gm involved, it's really simple. Go here https://www.gm.com/lemon-law.html

I got them involved with my torque converter issue. they weren't needed just yet, but I got them involved because they were 1 fix away from hitting lemon law in my state, and I just wanted my car working properly.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #11
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
At this point I would get GM involved.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Bypass the Service Manager and go straight to the General Manager of the dealership. Open a case with GM to voice your concerns and start from there. If GM and the Manager can not take care of the problem try a different Dealership. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
sounds like half of the problems were incompetent dealers... of which it wont matter what Camaro or Corvette you buy, you're ganna have this issue... maybe its time to move on...
This... I would have had a tough time continuing to let a dealer that only put 3 quarts of oil in and left the drain plug out on a simple oil change.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
Note to self... never buy first year of new models.
Not a problem in my book. We bought the redesigned 16 Malibu too, and both of our cars have been pretty awesome. Our dealer took care of any issues quickly and resolved them. I think it comes down to finding a quality dealership with a great maintenance crew.

As a an example, we had a 15 1SS LS3 have the throttle stick open at the track and ended up bending all 8 exhaust valves and 2 intake. Our dealer had the talent to rebuild the engine under warranty. I'd trust them with any repairs, but there were dealers in the past that I wouldn't have.

Tags
rear differentail, torque converter