Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Ironman24

Drives: 17 ABM ZL1 M6
"marbles in a can" supercharger rattle

Anyone experiencing this on the ZL1 yet? I have a rattle or knocking noise coming from the supercharger lid area at idle and it has gotten bad enough I can hear it in the car now.

I took the car to one dealer and of course I received the "that's normal" statement. I have researched TSBs and I don't believe that it is the belt tensioner issue common on the CTS-V. Several ZL1 owners listened to it this past weekend and agreed that the noise is not normal at all. I listened to the fuel lines and the one at the rear of the drivers side valve cover has a lot of racket with a stethoscope. Wondering if it is the check valve issue in the fuel line that was an issue on the LT4 ZO6?

Just uploaded a video...

Ironman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
From what I can hear in the video, it sounds like normal fuel injector operation.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
It could be supercharger bearings, I would pull the belt off and spin it by hand.

If your warranty is still good be a little more persistent with the dealer.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have the same thing with my Whipple. As do other SC people.
I went round an round with Whipple, Cause when I installed it it wasn't there.
TIP: close the hood!
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
First I've heard of that. Definitely doesn't sound normal. It's hard to tell from the video, but it almost sounds like it could even be in the valve train instead of the supercharger. Lifters? Hope you get to the bottom of it, whatever it is.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24 View Post
Anyone experiencing this on the ZL1 yet? I have a rattle or knocking noise coming from the supercharger lid area at idle and it has gotten bad enough I can hear it in the car now.

I took the car to one dealer and of course I received the "that's normal" statement. I have researched TSBs and I don't believe that it is the belt tensioner issue common on the CTS-V. Several ZL1 owners listened to it this past weekend and agreed that the noise is not normal at all. I listened to the fuel lines and the one at the rear of the drivers side valve cover has a lot of racket with a stethoscope. Wondering if it is the check valve issue in the fuel line that was an issue on the LT4 ZO6?
The 2016-2017 LT1 and LT4 Camaros are also included in the fuel line check valve service bulletin.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2017-1338.html
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
It would be normal if your ZL1 was cammed WTH
Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Ironman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
It would be normal if your ZL1 was cammed WTH
Yeah I agree, like stated above when I first heard it I thought lifter noise as well because it does sound similar. Any light throttle will quiet it down so the noise does not increase with RPM. So still leaning towards the fuel line check valve or a bearing. Someone also said the lash in the gears could be off. Either way you can't just close the hood and quiet it down, it is easily heard in the cabin now with the windows up.

I will pull the belt and spin it by hand and see what that yields. I have a contact at a different dealer, waiting to hear back before I take it in and get another "that's normal" statement.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Have you compared it to another vehicle/engine? It's really hard to tell in the video if that's going to be abnormal or not. I have had multiple people send me videos of noises in their engines while it was perfectly normal. Recording from phones will amplify the sounds coming from the engine.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
hashtag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Have you compared it to another vehicle/engine? It's really hard to tell in the video if that's going to be abnormal or not. I have had multiple people send me videos of noises in their engines while it was perfectly normal. Recording from phones will amplify the sounds coming from the engine.
I have owned (3) ZL1’s. 17,18ZL1 & now a 18 A10. This is absolutely not normal even for a coldstart.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I have owned (3) ZL1’s. 17,18ZL1 & now a 18 A10. This is absolutely not normal even for a coldstart.
I have probably seen a lot more LT4s then most people on here. Not saying that it's normal or not, but basing noises off a video without having anything else to compare it to is really hard to tell if there is a problem or not. These engines are very sensitive in terms of misfiring or any kind of knocking noises.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
hashtag

Quote:
I have probably seen a lot more LT4s then most people on here. Not saying that it's normal or not, but basing noises off a video without having anything else to compare it to is really hard to tell if there is a problem or not. These engines are very sensitive in terms of misfiring or any kind of knocking noises.
Agreed & misfiring or kncking is out of the normal. LT4’s motors are not known to be problematic within service as I rarely see them at work. We are a very large Auto Group. If the dealer Service Manager does not do anything I would write GM Corportare & if that recourse fails then get legalrepresentation. Lemon Law Lawyer would be the most viable course of action. I personally have been through it & the approach was successful.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #13
Ironman24

Quote:
Yes the video is not the best for trying to hear the rattle. It is much more pronounced and louder in person. The car runs fine so I hope it is not an internal engine issue. I have almost 10K on the car and I know for sure that rattle was not there for a long time and has shown up recently.

I spent this past weekend with a local ZL1 club, had another 6th gen right beside me at the car show, also rode in a ZL1 1LE. None of the other cars had this noise and they all agreed it wasn't normal. I also had a couple of Z06 owners listen to the car as well and got the same feedback so I know it's not just me.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:22 PM   #14
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
I had the exact same thing happen to my camaro, my mechanic said supercharger bearing gone. Its an obvious defect in them, i've been waiting almost 3 weeks for gm to tell me they will cover it, but they can't get the part because of the strike. Gm has no ETA, on the part. Wants to leave me without my camaro and in the same token void my warranty if i replace with aftermarket. I've decided to give GM the big middle finger and replace it with a magnusson, and get some other upgrades for the camaro. Will let u know how it works out so far 21k bill... I was told i could drive it, but not engage the supercharger, ie don't step on the gas.... Not doing that, can't drive that car like a grandma, its just not in me. Very Sore and pissed off GM customer you know what they can do with their sh*t warranty, since i was paying monthly on the extended warranty i went ahead and cancelled it on their sorry a**es! Not paying for something that doesn't help me, and leaves me high and dry because they can't pay their workers properly and are having strike issues! Ya ya, i know some of you GM guys are on this forum, ur going to claim it's just bad timing blah blah. Pay ur workers! Stop ur excuses, and honor ur commitments to your customers. Or we will start going somewhere else. You've already killed the production of future Camaros, can you do anything else to piss your fan base off ? I'm sure there is more headaches to come with the last few years of the gen6 model... Won't surprise me. It's a 2021, with 7k clicks and i admit i drive it hard, but i was told they were designed to take way more of a beating than what i applied to it. So for those of you that haven't experienced this issue? Do u drag it? Have u tracked it? Do you drive it hard? Ask yourself? Will your bearing fail if you do ?

Sorry if i'm ranting but 13k in parts to fix something GM currently can't. (ie just the supercharger) Yes i said 21k but if im voiding warranties im upgrading more than just the supercharger. So pissed about it right now i can't tell you. The upgrade i wanted after the warranty kicked wouldve costed 7k only. (ported blower, aftermarket pully, heat exchanger, cold air intake, headers and a few others) but now i get an extra 13k bill and that's just for the part, that GM currently can't get, not the install.

Camaro fail brothers now let's cry together. I'm curious now ur post is old what was your end result?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyFJl..._web_copy_link

sorry about the back ground noise was at the track guys were revving their engines.

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 10-06-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote