Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tracking Down my Mom's 1978 Camaro

Gentleman,

I know this is a 6th gen forum and when I had my 2018 SS 1LE it was a great experience interacting with most everyone on here. So I figured maybe there's members here who have older Camaros or have experience tracking down cars.

My dad and I are trying track down my Mom's 1978 Camaro which was bought new for her as a present from my grandpa. Unfortuantely, it was sold in the early 80's for funds to start my parent's business. I know it's a very long time ago but we'd like to take a shot at trying to track it down, if it's even still out there. I'm not sure if there's a best way to go about this or maybe just have to take a shot at seeing what the BMV can dig up but any help would be much appreciated.

We do not have the VIN and I'm not sure the exact model but I do have some details if it would help. We know for sure it wasn't a Z28 and that it wasn't a base model with a V6. It was for sure a 1978 in Red with a white interior, 4 speed and had a 302. Any direction would be great if anyone has done this before or knows someone who has.

Thanks,
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Do you know which dealership it was purchased from? You're going to need the VIN to have any shot, and if you don't have any records or copies of something like the title, my best guess is to contact the dealership (if it's still open).

Unlikely alternative, maybe the DMV records would have something, but it seems unlikely.

Good luck! This would be a cool win.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Was it a Pizza business they started?

Jest aside, like Chris said try the dealership. But do not give them any info like you really need the car and cost is not an option sort of thing.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Only thing I could think of is getting with the MVD to find a vin or maybe see if the old insurance company still has records or it for the vin.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Definitely need the vin no way to know if it’s the same one without anyway. How about the insurance company used back then? Long shot they may have it.
I plugged the Vin from my old Chevelle into google and it came up with a old webpage when it was for sale years ago. Still cool got to see the pictures of my old car
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
There were zero 1978 Camaro's ever produced with a 302. Only 67-69 Z28's got that option.

More than likely it was a 305, or 350, if it was a V8. The 305 was popular because of gas shortages back then. The 78 I have is/was a 305.

Without a VIN, it would be hopeless. No car insurance papers, registration, or something with a VIN?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Without a VIN, you're probably out of luck.

I ran into this with my Step Dad's Super Bee. He didn't have a VIN, only pics of the car from back then. I had given up hopes of finding his car but maybe one day finding one like it.

Well, I ended up finding what I believe was his car. It came from the same area of Oklahoma and had the exact same options as his car. Somewhat rare color so I'm about 95% sure it was his car. It was just blind luck really.

You're better off just looking for the twin to it. You might get lucky.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
Do you know which dealership it was purchased from? You're going to need the VIN to have any shot, and if you don't have any records or copies of something like the title, my best guess is to contact the dealership (if it's still open).

Unlikely alternative, maybe the DMV records would have something, but it seems unlikely.

Good luck! This would be a cool win.
I called the dealership that bought the dealership my Mom thought it was purchased from but they said they didn't have anything prior to 1985. Good point I'll check with DMV see if I get luck.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Was it a Pizza business they started?

Jest aside, like Chris said try the dealership. But do not give them any info like you really need the car and cost is not an option sort of thing.
Haha close, landscaping business!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
There were zero 1978 Camaro's ever produced with a 302. Only 67-69 Z28's got that option.

More than likely it was a 305, or 350, if it was a V8. The 305 was popular because of gas shortages back then. The 78 I have is/was a 305.

Without a VIN, it would be hopeless. No car insurance papers, registration, or something with a VIN?
I appreciate the correction my knowledge of the older Camaros is limited at best. It definitely was a 305 then cause I know it was for sure a v8 but not a z28
Old 02-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
HouseStark

Thanks to everyone's suggestions I never thought about the insurance company I'll go down that route. Unfortunately there is no VIN, however, what about giving a SSN to the DMV or maybe referencing old plates in pictures?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Without a VIN, you're probably out of luck.

I ran into this with my Step Dad's Super Bee. He didn't have a VIN, only pics of the car from back then. I had given up hopes of finding his car but maybe one day finding one like it.

Well, I ended up finding what I believe was his car. It came from the same area of Oklahoma and had the exact same options as his car. Somewhat rare color so I'm about 95% sure it was his car. It was just blind luck really.

You're better off just looking for the twin to it. You might get lucky.
Gearhead I've seen your posts around and I thought someone mentioned you either work at or own a dealership? Is there some sort of national record book or some sort of data collection dealers submit purchases to?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Thanks to everyone's suggestions I never thought about the insurance company I'll go down that route. Unfortunately there is no VIN, however, what about giving a SSN to the DMV or maybe referencing old plates in pictures?
If you have the old plate number, the DMV from that state might be able to give you the VIN history for that plate. I stress MIGHT.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Gearhead I've seen your posts around and I thought someone mentioned you either work at or own a dealership? Is there some sort of national record book or some sort of data collection dealers submit purchases to?
Dealer sales are reported to the state.

It's hard to track an old car if you don't have the VIN. Sometimes it's hard even with the VIN. For many years I've been on the lookout for one that matches my Dad's '69 Camaro that he had when I was a kid. I don't have a VIN for it and I've had no luck. I would even take one that had the same options but even that hasn't been easy to find.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, I just want you to be aware that this is a journey that could take years to complete. It will be worth it if you find it though so don't give up.