Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #29
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
Don’t you have other post to decay ?

You know what the ignorant says to you ? So start to respect others with humility…you know where the issue is …

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Are you talking about the belt tensioner or the chain tensioner? I read the descriptions, but didn't really understand the way you were describing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I'm going to jump in here for a moment, and ask about this cam chain guide tensioner. I believe you are the only one on this forum who promulgates the theory that oil pump failures are caused by the cam chain guide tensioner failing somehow.

I have been on this forum for 4 years, and I have never heard of this problem from people who have had actual oil pump failures. I'm pretty sure I have read the entire oil pump thread. Can you point to a post on the forum about such a failure?

The oil pump failures on the thread all seem to be cracking failures of the outer ring inside the oil pump. The vanes from the pump rotor eventually snag on the crack, and the inside of the oil pump gets torn up.

I looked at the LME video about their tensioner replacement, and it seems like a normal upgrade for a racing engine, but absent even one post about this on this forum, I'm a little perplexed about this aspect of oil pump failures.

https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.co...mber_20191.pdf
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #30
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
It says 2016 Camaro and 14-16 Corvettes. The article is from April 2021, so if this related to Gen 6 ZL-1s, one might think they would mention 2017-2018 Camaros also.

You state that it is a well-known issue. I just don't see these cam chain types of failures on this forum.

It affects all of them.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #31
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post

Mic Drop.

l

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #32
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
It affects all of them.
Is there even one failure like this on this forum?
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #33
Camaro1973

Quote:
Is there even one failure like this on this forum?

I don't think you understand, this is one reasons the pump implodes. Did you read on some peoples post where they say they saw a high spike in pressure only to see it fall well below normal? The chain tensioner has always been an issue.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #34
Mark R

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about this with you. If you think this is the main issue with the pumps, more power to you.

However, there has been absolutely no mention of damaged cam chains or tensioners on this forum with respect to oil pump failures in the oil pump failure thread.

Let me see if I understand what you think happens: The oil pump control valve fails, and oil pressure spikes, per the GM notice you posted. Then the cam chain tensioner fails some how, causing the oil pump to shit itself. There may be damage to the outside of the pump housing due to cam chain tensioner failure.

I re-read the GM notice many times, and they link these three things together somewhat poorly: the oil pressure control solenoid valve failure, the cam chain tensioner, then eventual oil pump failure. I don't see the connection.

Maybe, the cam chain tensioner fails somehow, which causes the oil pressure to spike, then that somehow causes the oil pump to fail internally. Is a big oil pressure spike sufficient force to crack the inner ring of the oil pump, which is the failure point inside the pump? I don't know.

Maybe you could walk me through the sequence of events which cause oil pump failure. And please give me some insight into why Katech has tested all 7 versions of the GM pump, and they all break under load, seemingly without a cam chain anywhere near the test fixture

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #35
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about this with you. If you think this is the main issue with the pumps, more power to you.

However, there has been absolutely no mention of damaged cam chains or tensioners on this forum with respect to oil pump failures in the oil pump failure thread.

Let me see if I understand what you think happens: The oil pump control valve fails, and oil pressure spikes, per the GM notice you posted. Then the cam chain tensioner fails some how, causing the oil pump to shit itself. There may be damage to the outside of the pump housing due to cam chain tensioner failure.

I re-read the GM notice many times, and they link these three things together somewhat poorly: the oil pressure control solenoid valve failure, the cam chain tensioner, then eventual oil pump failure. I don't see the connection.

Maybe, the cam chain tensioner fails somehow, which causes the oil pressure to spike, then that somehow causes the oil pump to fail internally. Is a big oil pressure spike sufficient force to crack the inner ring of the oil pump, which is the failure point inside the pump? I don't know.

Maybe you could walk me through the sequence of events which cause oil pump failure. And please give me some insight into why Katech has tested all 7 versions of the GM pump, and they all break under load, seemingly without a cam chain anywhere near the test fixture

Thanks.
Yea, just ignore GMs official investigation results. What do they know? No offense to Katech, but they are in the business of selling parts too.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #36
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
There are a couple known issues with these. One is the timing chain guide/tensioner failing and lets the chain saw a hole through the back side of the oil pump. I believe that is a separate issue from the 2017-18 ZL1 oil pump failure where the internals break. There are also lifter failures and valve spring failures on some 2020 LT2's. Most of it is very low failure rates. The 2017-18 oil pump failure is probably the biggest one of all the issues but even then it's not like they are failing left and right like the LS7's were dropping valves.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #37
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Lets clean up the facts shall we. Lets let Matt from RPM explain whats happening.

https://youtu.be/YjnvvJbesHk?t=1572
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #38
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

And here is the revised part. $136
https://www.oemgmpartscenter.com/p/C.../12686434.html
Old 08-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #39
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
There are a couple known issues with these. One is the timing chain guide/tensioner failing and lets the chain saw a hole through the back side of the oil pump. I believe that is a separate issue from the 2017-18 ZL1 oil pump failure where the internals break. There are also lifter failures and valve spring failures on some 2020 LT2's. Most of it is very low failure rates. The 2017-18 oil pump failure is probably the biggest one of all the issues but even then it's not like they are failing left and right like the LS7's were dropping valves.
That makes sense. Two separate issues. Thanks
Old 08-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #40
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Lets clean up the facts shall we. Lets let Matt from RPM explain whats happening.

https://youtu.be/YjnvvJbesHk?t=1572
That video explained what we have been talking about here for years now which was also my understanding of the problem. The failure on the video is clearly unrelated to cam chain tensioner failure.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #41
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
That video explained what we have been talking about here for years now which was also my understanding of the problem. The failure on the video is clearly unrelated to cam chain tensioner failure.
Yeah and the thread is oil pump failure which what the OP posted is clearly not related to the known 17-18 failure so let’s just stop that in its tracks right now.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #42
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Yeah and the thread is oil pump failure which what the OP posted is clearly not related to the known 17-18 failure so let’s just stop that in its tracks right now.

It was just a post to have an answer about problems on an oil pump..
Thé post where I got this questionned thé relation with 2017 2018 and some 2019 problems… I was searching for a thinking answer and not cockfight with the one who wanna absolutly be right… there is a fact … all the rest is supposition…that was an interesting thing to debate …and it appears clearly that some need to be more humbles
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote