Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Future of Camaro: V8 Only...?
Yes 39 21.67%
No 141 78.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Apparently you guys who think the Camaro will move to capture traditional Corvette customers missed the memo saying the C7 will continue to be sold side-by-side with the C8 for at least a few years. The Corvette will be Chevrolet's halo car until it dies. Also, the market segments and buyer demographics for the Camaro and Corvette are very different; most people (including me, having owned two of each) don't consider the cars to be competitors. The $20K price difference for comparably equipped Camaro and Corvettes is a major factor for a lot of buyers too.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
From a volume perspective, I would highly doubt the Camaro would go that route. Even when looking at similar competition from the Mustang, Challenger and Charger, I'd wager to say that the vast majority of their sales are from 4/6cyl offerings. I think we are more likely to see an updated LF4 make its way into the Camaro before we saw an exclusive V8 lineup.
Last time I checked, volume was split 20% 2.0T, 40% 3.6L and 40% V8 (LT1 & LT4 combined)

By comparison, Mustang was 41% 2.3T, 18% 3.7L (gone now) 36% 5.0L and 5% 5.2L.

So in either case, 40 - 41% V8.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
It would be stupid to get rid of the V6. it's such an awesome ride. once the old generation start dying it will be more in demand. Great performance and good on gas. All while saving 10k. It is win win.

Throwing a edit here just let you guys know I just turned 40 I'm definitely part of the old generation just seen the light
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
V8 for me. Not interested in a camaro with a 4 or 6 engine.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
For as long as a V8 is offered, I will never consider purchasing a V6 powered Camaro. However, with that said, I acknowledge that the sixth-generation Camaro offers a fantastic V6 powertrain that no longer induces shame from having not purchased a SS.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
I like that idea but...

It may not have problem for V8 only in North America

but it will have difficult for other countries.

Some countries have heavy vehicles taxes which rate from engine liters.

Camaro is one of main cars for GM in the global market since 5th gen.

To avoid those taxes and help those dream of global buyers and help Camaro sales,

the lower liters engine is necessity.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It’s far more likely we’d see a Camaro without a V8 before we’d see one with only V8s.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
There is SOME overlap, but it is a very small overlap. I happen to be part of that small overlap. I have owned Corvettes before and considered a Corvette when I landed on my 2SS vert. I could care less about back seats. They are basically a package shelf for me. Since Vert was Priority 1A and V8 was Priority 1B, ZL1 Vert, and Grand Sport Vert were on my list.

Now, considering Corvette only sells about 30k a year, and as Glen e stated, only a small fraction of those are in that overlap area that would also consider a Camaro, we’re only talking hundreds, not thousands of diversions. No vehicle team is gonna build a business case on that.
If the Corvette winds up having only the mid engine, which I doubt they will drop the FE design all together, there might more overlap than what we see now. But more likely will be those that can spend more will go with something like a Jag F-Type, Mercedes, or other FE sports car.

If GM redesigns the Camaro on the Alpha II platform into something even more "sports car inspired" that overlap might increase even further. However, if they did that, they may scare away some of the current LS, LT Camaro shoppers if the car is too aggressive in appearance. Which seems to be the theme of the current refresh to tame down the smaller engine line up.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Apparently you guys who think the Camaro will move to capture traditional Corvette customers missed the memo saying the C7 will continue to be sold side-by-side with the C8 for at least a few years. The Corvette will be Chevrolet's halo car until it dies. Also, the market segments and buyer demographics for the Camaro and Corvette are very different; most people (including me, having owned two of each) don't consider the cars to be competitors. The $20K price difference for comparably equipped Camaro and Corvettes is a major factor for a lot of buyers too.
Keep in mind for the moment GM is denying any existence what so ever of a mid engine Corvette. The only memo is speculation based upon an engine forecast report from a source outside of GM, i.o.w. people second guessing.

If they continue to sell the "C7" when the mid engine car hits the lots, that mid engine car will be a completely separate Corvette model on it's own timeline and not the "C8", of course this is speculation just like everything else ever written about the mid engine Corvette that doesn't exist. lol
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
It would be stupid to get rid of the V6. it's such an awesome ride. once the old generation start dying it will be more in demand. Great performance and good on gas. All while saving 10k. It is win win.

Throwing a edit here just let you guys know I just turned 40 I'm definitely part of the old generation just seen the light
60 here,very happy with the 6 cylinder,and in no big hurry to get to the junkyard in the sky.ive heard from a reliable source that everyone there drives GTOs anyway.i am thinking a turboed 6 cylinder could be an option too.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #25
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
60 here,very happy with the 6 cylinder,and in no big hurry to get to the junkyard in the sky.ive heard from a reliable source that everyone there drives GTOs anyway.i am thinking a turboed 6 cylinder could be an option too.
Lol I'm in no hurry to get to the old junkyard in the sky either brother. I would definitely be down for a turbo V6 I imagine that would be a lot of fun
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 PM   #26
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Lot of Camaro owners plenty happy with the looks, handling, and power of their turbo 4's and V6 cars. I bought an LM1 loaded '79 Z28 new which was quick for the day but only 185 hp. My '79 L48 vette that I still own was 195 hp new. My '70 Chevelle SS396 which I wish I had kept was 350 gross hp. The '17 RS Camaro RS V6 A8 we have now is 335 net horses and would stomp all these past/present cars in handling and the quarter except the Chevelle in the quarter,maybe. I left out the '75 185hp Camaro RS I also owned. A lot of people are also happy with the initial cost of their non-SS/ZL1 Camaros and certainly the difference in insurance cost. GM has been trying to get younger average age on Corvette owners for years. Kill the 4's and 6's and you kill Camaro again. P.S. MY '84 Monte Carlo SS with 305 HO was also very quick for its day.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #27
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
If the Camaro becomes a V8 platform only... the Camaro I have actually will be my only one... I have no need for the V8 even if it is a super engine.

Lower budget doesn't allow me to go to the V8.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
If the Camaro becomes a V8 platform only... the Camaro I have actually will be my only one... I have no need for the V8 even if it is a super engine.

Lower budget doesn't allow me to go to the V8.
You are not alone. There are many who don’t want or can’t afford (let’s not forget gas and insurance) to keep and maintain a V8. That and the need to balance CAFE and California FE requirements (which apply to 17 other states) are the reasons I am totally certain an all V8 lineup is not in the cards.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote