Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #15
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Go autox your car. This will teach you how to drive your car in a safe fun way. Dont go just once. Do it a half a dozen times.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #16
uberjeff

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I think this is good advice for somebody at any age. I'm getting ready to do a cross country move. I'll look into the SCCA events as a great way to enjoy the capability of my car in a controlled manner and make some new friends too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
You WILL be tempted to operate this high performance vehicle in an unsafe manner at one time or another, you are human after all and this is a bad ass car. Do your best to resist as others here have already said. I did some REALLY stupid shit when I was your age in a 1969 Camaro (to be honest I did that in every car I had when I was that age) and I am glad I survived, so I am telling you this from first hand experience. Do not turn off the traction control on the street, it's there for a reason, and since you are inexperienced it will work to keep you out of trouble.

If you wish to learn to operate your new Camaro in a more spirited manner I will encourage you to get involved in some form of grassroots motorsports. It looks like you are in Calgary, so you can check with these guys http://www.cscc.ab.ca/ or look here http://www.autocross.com/autoc/caclub.shtml to see if there is another orginization for you to get involved with. The great thing about these organizations is that they usually provide some very hands on coaching from other experienced drivers to help you get started and learn about your car and how to drive it at its limits in a safe environment. They are almost always very accommodating of newbies and will usually have equipment (helmet etc.) for you to borrow.

You can also look into doing track days but those are usually a lot more expensive, and may require a long drive if there is no track near you. Some track day events do not provide much in the way of training for novices, or it may cost extra. (it really depends on the organization that is running the event, if you go this route make sure they provide novice instruction) The last option is to go to a driving school, but this is usually even more expensive than a track day, although they do provide quite a lot of one on one instruction.

Of the three options, the grassroots motorsports is by far the cheapest option, and is a lot of fun and you can meet some new friends who share the same interests. (assuming you are interested in doing something like this) I have been involved in SCCA autocross for 2 years now in two different regions. I moved to North Carolina recently and the people that go to the SCCA events here are great and this has allowed me to meet some new friends quickly in a new area that I am unfamiliar with.
uberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjeff View Post
I think this is good advice for somebody at any age. I'm getting ready to do a cross country move. I'll look into the SCCA events as a great way to enjoy the capability of my car in a controlled manner and make some new friends too.
What part of the country are you moving to?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #18
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
As for traction control I'm sure some people will disagree with me but on the street in see no reason to take it off. I have driven MANY cars and always turned off the traction control but see no need to on this car. I can hit 60 in 4.0 with it on, the car allows u to do stuff that I would say u shouldn't be doing on the street even when traction control is on.
In short, in my opinion, if u feel the need to take traction control off when driving on the street u r being irresponsible and dangerous.
Fyi- I'm 30 and not coming at this from a "old man" I had my fun standpoint.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #19
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
If there are any autocross events in Florida, and you know about them, let me know!
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
uberjeff

Quote:
What part of the country are you moving to?
I'll be splitting my time between Phoenix and Fresno for work. I'm in Louisville for another 3 weeks waiting on the movers. I've lived in Phoenix before, but I haven't spent much time in Fresno.
uberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #21
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Good luck on buying your car tomorrow and welcome to the forum.

Your peripheral vision is much different than in your truck, watch the lane changes until you are comfortable with your new ride.....and like others have said, respect the power, you come up quick on others back bumpers !!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Your in the right path by being a member of this forum. Any questions just ask, if your unsure ask and someone will answer you in the forum. Search for topics and pm who's on it and they will share their experience with you and give you ideas.
In return post your experience as well in regard to your awesome car.

You tube is a great source of info as well.

Enjoy!
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #23
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Welcome! Be safe, have fun, don't put you or others in harms way for the sake of some fun. There is endless potential for you to play with the car as you see fit. We look forward to seeing you around.

Oh yeah, ONE more thing: Only modify your car with JDP Motorsports

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #24
mike16ss

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
You WILL be tempted to operate this high performance vehicle in an unsafe manner at one time or another, you are human after all and this is a bad ass car. Do your best to resist as others here have already said. I did some REALLY stupid shit when I was your age in a 1969 Camaro (to be honest I did that in every car I had when I was that age) and I am glad I survived, so I am telling you this from first hand experience. Do not turn off the traction control on the street, it's there for a reason, and since you are inexperienced it will work to keep you out of trouble.

If you wish to learn to operate your new Camaro in a more spirited manner I will encourage you to get involved in some form of grassroots motorsports. It looks like you are in Calgary, so you can check with these guys http://www.cscc.ab.ca/ or look here http://www.autocross.com/autoc/caclub.shtml to see if there is another orginization for you to get involved with. The great thing about these organizations is that they usually provide some very hands on coaching from other experienced drivers to help you get started and learn about your car and how to drive it at its limits in a safe environment. They are almost always very accommodating of newbies and will usually have equipment (helmet etc.) for you to borrow.

You can also look into doing track days but those are usually a lot more expensive, and may require a long drive if there is no track near you. Some track day events do not provide much in the way of training for novices, or it may cost extra. (it really depends on the organization that is running the event, if you go this route make sure they provide novice instruction) The last option is to go to a driving school, but this is usually even more expensive than a track day, although they do provide quite a lot of one on one instruction.

Of the three options, the grassroots motorsports is by far the cheapest option, and is a lot of fun and you can meet some new friends who share the same interests. (assuming you are interested in doing something like this) I have been involved in SCCA autocross for 2 years now in two different regions. I moved to North Carolina recently and the people that go to the SCCA events here are great and this has allowed me to meet some new friends quickly in a new area that I am unfamiliar with.
Thank you for such a detailed answer. I intend to try to forget that the traction control button even exists, im not to fond of the idea of leaving my tires all over the road anyways.

I will certainly look into some grassroots motorsports to build my skill level and make me more comfortable in the car, thanks for the links. As far as track days, mabye once ive paid for the car!

Thank you all for the advice, i received way nore replys than i could have ever hoped for, a testament to the quality of this community. I am leaving my house now to get the car and i will post pics when i do!
mike16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #25
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Congratulations
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #26
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
My main advice is "keep the shiny side up" and also "don't die".
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #27
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
My main advice is "keep the shiny side up" and also "don't die".
That's pretty close to what my Dad told me when I got my first hot rod. He said "No matter what direction the car is pointed keep the front wheels going down the road, and don't hit anything, ever."
Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #28
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
If there are any autocross events in Florida, and you know about them, let me know!
Go here http://www.scca.com/pages/i-want-to-autocross and at the bottom of the page there is a place to enter your zip code and it should show you the region you are in with a link to their home page, where they usually have details of upcoming events. You will be looking for references to "Solo" events since SCCA regions have lots of different types of racing like Rallycross and Club racing as well. If you have any questions just PM me!