Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Future of Camaro: V8 Only...?
Yes 39 21.67%
No 141 78.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #99
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It's very hard until we actually see the car and some dimensions.

Personally, as I've stated many times, there are two reasons I didn't pull the trigger on Gen6. Visibility is atrocious and trunk space doesn't allow golf clubs without the rear seat folded down. It's basically a Corvette at that point.

You are correct, a ton of people will not find these to be issues in the C8. This website is full of Camaro enthusiasts who flame anyone that criticizes visibility, and trunk size is not likely a purchasing consideration.

However, when I'm on trips (I drive rather than fly), I see Corvettes on the road. I've taken Corvettes on the road. Can't recall seeing a GT500, NSX, McLaren or even an R8. I see them all locally on occasion, but I don't know of anyone taking their supercar on long road trips. LOL, for all I know people than can afford a $150,000 super car just fly and rent one there.

If the C8 transforms the market in this regard, awesome!

We'll know in July.

I originally thought the intent was to keep both cars in production. That doesn't look to be the case. It depends on how they configures the car. There are plants that can build very different body styles on the same line. It's possible, but it doesn't look likely now. This is why it is important to hit the sweet spot of why C5/6/7 owners bought cars and get new owners with the ME car. It would pretty silly to go, "hey, let's completely abandon the Corvette buyers of today and come up with something completely different". It has to do what the C5/6/7 did but more. By more, there is only one reason to ME and that is traction. I'm not sure people who never thought of a Corvette will go, "hey, it doesn't perform any better than a C7, but now that the engine is behind me I'm going to buy one". Engine location in and of itself is no reason to do a ME car.

And I'm a big fan of the idea of an Omega coupe.
I’ve got a close friend that has seen the new Corvette up close and said the remarks he is hearing tells me that from a performance standpoint it will be a big improvement over the current design.

I agree, the style and function will have to also be spot on if GM expects to keep its core buyers (C5/C6/C7)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #100
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
Isn't GM making more DOHC V8s to replace current OHV V8s ? Will Camaro be non plain to get any DOHC V8 ?

C7.R will retire after this year. C8.R is supposed to use a new flat-crank V8.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #101
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
IF you read my comments it was more directed toward current Corvette owners switching not somebody that has one on their wish list.

I’ve actually owned Corvettes for twenty plus years and was ready for something different that had the same performance. I've enjoyed my SS just as much as I did the Corvettes I bought over the years. I've got a few buddies that currently own Corvettes that are now thinking Camaro ZL1 or SS because their not a fan of this new C8 rear motor design.

I wish you the best and hope you get your Corvette, everyone should own at least one Corvette in their lifetime. I was very blessed and bought my first one when I was 35.

FYI: If you do one day get your Corvette, be humble and respect people that prefer to driver other makes and models. There is nothing worse than a Corvette owner that thinks he is driving Gods gift to the motor world. Only reason I say this is your comment about "prestige" Its a nice car but if you go to car events you will find that there are people driving Mopar, Ford, and GM cars that they feel are just as important as the Corvette.

I totally hear you on the prestige comment and can see how that would be taken the wrong way lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #102
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
On one of the Vette forums was an engine thread where they picked apart a C8 teaser video. The engine was a cut-away cam in block with a second timing chain on the cam. Everything above was off-picture. That thread was full of speculation. Don't care to look it up now.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #103
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Like what they did years ago to make the 3.4L V6 into a DOHC engine. Might not be a bad approach these days.

Norm
Old 05-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #104
genxer

My dad has some of those 3.4's. For me, a 4 valve isn't worth it. I just wish they'd do a 4.3 that winds out closer to the better V8's and bump it up to maybe 4.9. The engine line-up could be something like: 4.9, 5.7, 6.6, LT5. Then, the (centrifugal)supercharger aftermarket could cover more broadly, and give those interested a better price possibly.

Last edited by genxer; 05-09-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #105
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I totally hear you on the prestige comment and can see how that would be taken the wrong way lol.
No problem bud.. I hope you get a Corvette one day.

I've got a buddy that is in his mid 70s that can't get around very good. He asked if I would store his Corvette at my house for a month and drive it and see if it needed anything. He wanted to change the tires because of years (Car only has 16,000 miles on it) and replace the battery. I drove to the office and to some cruz-ins for a while and it was fun.. but, I was ready to get back to the SS. I did a nice show car detail job before the wife and I took it back and installed new AC Delco battery, new Michelin tires, and fixed the NPP control valve.

Here is a pic of his Corvette.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #106
genxer

As a more broad thought, is it dumb to think the 7th gen Camaro can realistically reach pony. sports, and muscle buyers?

I had seen this post #148 here: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...7/index10.html

It seemed legitimate. The L4/V6 to V8 percent split ('18?) is close to the '17 numbers on this site. The Mustang percents were very low for the 4, very strong for the GT.

I interpreted the numbers that: the SS could use a hp bump, more prefer a 6 over a 4, also the door is open for a more daily useful pony (though, I'm biased toward that). Can better low trims be made without screwing up the performance trims?

It's not directly comparable, but Chevy and Ford canceled a bunch of cars they didn't make enough on. They lost out to cars where many were not turbo'd, some still port injected, but with strengths elsewhere. Today for the Camaro, they have to sell what is on hand. I'd have an easier feeling, if there was a clear path forward matching cars to customers.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #107
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
When GM introduces an electric drag race Camaro you can bet what's on their minds.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #108
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
When GM introduces an electric drag race Camaro you can bet what's on their minds.
...and steal away their Camaro Chief to do it.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #109
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
yes,i think you are right.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote