wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
Sears. If they have the Hunter.
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #16
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
as some have said... find the local hot spot where you are near.

thing is with alignments and national chains... just because its well known by name, doesn't mean the tech working there may be good at their job.

you can go to a firestone, that someone raved about in another state, but the guy in your local place might be the absolute drizzling sh*ts.

I found this out the hard way, after getting an alignment, 2 weeks later, having specs out of spec so bad, the front of my car could have been part of "stance nation, yo"

loose nuts and not tightened to spec was the cause. someone was in a rush.

lately, I've gone to a local owned business and haven't looked back. when done, they invite me back and show and ask me is this where I wanted the specs... then go over the tightening sequence while I'm there to double check. that's customer service to me.

find what works in your area is my suggestion.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Only thing that is "by wire" on these cars for driving control is the throttle body, which has 0 impact on alignment. These cars are aligned just like any other car on the road. If the dealer told you that, it sounds like they're BSing you to charge extra to anyone who doesn't know any better and that they should be avoided..
Sorry bro... Yes they are mechanically aligned like every other car but like every other modern car there is a steering angle sensor that is used by stability control... Step 1 in an alignment is set the steering wheel at TDC. All adjustments are made from there. Assuming your alignment tech picks THE EXACT angle the LAST TECH DID (within the software tolerance of course) it should not affect the casual alignment HOWEVER it is best practice to re-set after every change.
Denying there is an electrical component involved does the community a disservice. I personally changed my steering wheel and compared to the original wheel it was machined different by 1 tooth or so. It required a reprogram.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote