Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Scotty Kilmer on GM plans

GM portion of video ends at 2:09

I agree with him with the bs behind the scenes deals these companies are securing with powerful people that can vote on policy. I know no politics here but the EV crowd should take heed to what’s happening behind closed doors. I work in the energy sector here in Texas and I can tell you the infrastructure for EVs is not going to be dependable for at least a decade or more. We’ll need oil for a few more decades but please don’t tell AOC or some of the heads of the car companies this. It’s pipe dreams at best right now. One day I’ll own an EV to take me to work and back home so I can relax and be ready to jump in my ZLE to revitalize my life.

https://youtu.be/l8q8jMGS9C4

Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:14 PM   #2
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I work for an electric utility. We are no where close to being able to support the policy push of EVs, and electrification of everything.

Also the fantasy of having windmills and solar panels providing base load generation is hilarious.

Are any technical experts actually consulted during these fantasy policies?
Old 05-04-2023, 10:39 PM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Name:  IMG_4649.jpeg
Views: 1516
Size:  79.6 KB
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Ned Stark didn't heed the signs either and we saw what happened to him!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I'm not clicking the link. Is Kilmer short TSLA?
It seems like there's enough tech tw*ts out there to float ESG froth forever.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
I work for an electric utility. We are no where close to being able to support the policy push of EVs, and electrification of everything.

Also the fantasy of having windmills and solar panels providing base load generation is hilarious.

Are any technical experts actually consulted during these fantasy policies?
If you ready for summer AC use, then you are ready for EVs. Just ask them to not use AC when charging a car.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
I think some people here are missing the point.
You can absolutely use oil plants to charge EVs, and they can coexist.

Occidental Petroleum (Warren Buffet's darling investment) is building carbon capture into their plants to scrub CO2 and they're coming online in the next 5 to 10 years.

Think about it, Clean air from oil, clean air in the cities from electric cars.

You guys gotta quit your fear-mongering.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:45 PM   #8
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
I used to commute 54 miles a day to the west side of LA.
The cost to charge at a charging station is around 0.60 kWh.
The cost to charge at home at off hours is 0.22 kWh
SCE is trying to raise rates again, so these are going up soon (and this is not even the summer rate).
Cost to charge for this commute at home is ~$3
Cost to charge for this commute at charging stations is ~$8
This is calclated based on Tesla's own charging calculator modifying their assumptions for my local rate.
If your car gets 30mpg, @ 4.25 a gallon you can see its roughly the same as a charging station
If you car gets 50 mpg hybrid, its 40% less.
Run the numbers, this electric car thing is a sham IMO. This is assuming current electricity prices and 52% renewable energy mandated by CA. CA has the highest gas tax in the nation, the state will eventually try to recoupe these costs in the form of registration tax on EV. Run the number yourself, YMMV.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post

I agree with him with the bs behind the scenes deals these companies are securing with powerful people that can vote on policy. I know no politics here but the EV crowd should take heed to what’s happening behind closed doors. I work in the energy sector here in Texas and I can tell you the infrastructure for EVs is not going to be dependable for at least a decade or more. We’ll need oil for a few more decades but please don’t tell AOC or some of the heads of the car companies this. It’s pipe dreams at best right now. One day I’ll own an EV to take me to work and back home so I can relax and be ready to jump in my ZLE to revitalize my life.

I agree with you that it’s just a pipe dream now and in the near future.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
BowTie-Guy

Drives: 2023 Silverado LT Trail Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post

100% agree. And I'll just leave this right here, nothing else needs to be said. This was the title of an article in the local news just yesterday.
Texas utility commission chair warns grid at risk for summer outages, pushes for gas-fueled power

4/28/22: 0500 (order placed)
5/10/22: 1100
7/18/22: 2000 Accepted by GM
7/19/22: 3000 Accepted by production control
9/9/22: 3100 Available to Sequence
9/9/22: 3300 Scheduled for Production
9/10/22: 3400 Broadcast
TPW: 8/29/22 ---> 9/19/22 ---> NOW 9/26/22
10/4/22: 3800 Produced
10/10/22: 4300 Intermediate Del. - Delivered 11/2
BowTie-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:02 PM   #11
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
I think some people here are missing the point.
You can absolutely use oil plants to charge EVs, and they can coexist.

Occidental Petroleum (Warren Buffet's darling investment) is building carbon capture into their plants to scrub CO2 and they're coming online in the next 5 to 10 years.

Think about it, Clean air from oil, clean air in the cities from electric cars.

You guys gotta quit your fear-mongering.
Fear-mongering is the only point for the voter base against this, they try to use napkin math to keep being scared of progress yet they forget that EVs are more efficient in EVERY situation and don't need to be 100% fossil fuel free to be cleaner than ICEs, I don't like EVs as much as them since I spend all my day in a computer already and I like driving a machine but thinking they're somehow bad is just plain anti-intellectualism.

And hey, they grew up with leaded gasoline and turned out COMPLETELY fine! Kids nowadays whine too much eh?

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #12
455Rocket

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1
Seems to me would need many new nuclear power plants for this kind of change but they don't like those either. When the electric utilities get a monopoly on energy of every kind watch the rates go up to astronomical levels.
Federal government spending billions forcing us to all drive cute little electric station wagons, seems to me would want to be spending on an infrastructure that can handle it to start with. Everyone on that side considers themselves great masterminds and if you suggest it's too much too fast you're called a backward fearmonger.
455Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:03 AM   #13
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Rocket View Post
Seems to me would need many new nuclear power plants for this kind of change but they don't like those either. When the electric utilities get a monopoly on energy of every kind watch the rates go up to astronomical levels.
Federal government spending billions forcing us to all drive cute little electric station wagons, seems to me would want to be spending on an infrastructure that can handle it to start with. Everyone on that side considers themselves great masterminds and if you suggest it's too much too fast you're called a backward fearmonger.
Rates have gone up twice in Florida this year without any electric car boom because the governor approved FLP and the 1/2 other companies that do power to profiteer because they bribed him, sorry, "contributed" to his campaign, so yeah I would say people who complain about something that hasn't happened when there are other real life issues happening fear-mongers.

My last bill was $175 for a 2/2 condo and I only run the AC at 68 during the night

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:33 AM   #14
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Government and car companies need to F off.

Get the F out of my life and stop trying to dictate every aspect of our lives.

Also, EV's are 100% garbage and are not any more efficient than gas cars.

I also completely reject every aspect of CO2 being a pollutant. But is sure does enable governments and big companies to exercise control over everything doesn't it. It's almost like its all a big scam.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote