#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Catch Can Kit

OK, since I'm buying this new 2019 ZL1, I've been here almost daily because I've noticed that this vehicle is a lot more complicated than what I'm used to. And since I'm in Bangkok, I'm on my own. So as I'm devouring the information. I've noticed some threads about the importance of a catch can on DI Blown engines. And noticed that some rides even had massive amounts of build up with less than 5k miles on the car. So since I don't have a warranty on this car. Should I put one on? I will be running the correct Mobil 1 oil, as I have found it (as long as they don't run out). Everything will remain stock for a while. My plan within a year or two will be to bring the boys from KPM Motorsports in Australia up here to put their version of the Exorcist kit on it. They will probably add a can in all this and I'm sure the entire intake and heads will be coming off and cleaned up. So if I'm changing it in 2 or even 3 years, should I worry about this catch can thing? Thailand is warm year around. And I'll be using the ZL1 for a lot of full day road trips.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
The longer you drive the car without a catch can the more gunk will accumulate on top of the blower and coke the valves. It's not just the ZL1, all boosted motors produce blowby (oil and gas mixture)

It's about a 2-3 hr job the first time you do it, just watch the install video on youtube and take your time - make sure you use a small torque wrench to re-torque all the bolts. If you have a major warranty claim you can always remove it.

The Elite E2X has proven performance, the others not so much. Don't waste your money on cheap catch cans
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:38 AM   #3
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
The longer you drive the car without a catch can the more gunk will accumulate on top of the blower and coke the valves. It's not just the ZL1, all boosted motors produce blowby (oil and gas mixture)

It's about a 2-3 hr job the first time you do it, just watch the install video on youtube and take your time - make sure you use a small torque wrench to re-torque all the bolts. If you have a major warranty claim you can always remove it.

The Elite E2X has proven performance, the others not so much. Don't waste your money on cheap catch cans
1 vote for Elite..... Anybody else got recommendations on which they use and how it has worked for them?
Old 11-07-2020, 02:25 AM   #4
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

After really going through this information. The car will have 0 miles on it when I install the Catch can. This is an obvious thing I must do it seems. But in order to clean the system like every 10,000 or 20,000 miles after a catch can is installed, what is the best way to do this since I have to do this maintenance myself. Has anybody done this yet or is everybody still under warranty?
Old 11-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

WOW.....

What are the advantages of this Mighty mouse Catch Can? It looks like it's an open system. What does people this about this kind?
Old 11-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
But in order to clean the system like every 10,000 or 20,000 miles after a catch can is installed, what is the best way to do this since I have to do this maintenance myself. Has anybody done this yet or is everybody still under warranty?
You mean clean the valves? A properly installed catch can (combined with high quality gasoline with detergents) should cut down valve cleaning maintenance significantly

The MM can is vented. I prefer closed loop design of Elite.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
WOW.....

What are the advantages of this Mighty mouse Catch Can? It looks like it's an open system. What does people this about this kind?
The Mighty Mouse catch cans are used by Vengeance Racing, one of the top shops in the US and they stated the reason they use them is because they perform the best in their testing. Nothing against the competitors, I'm sure their products work well also.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The Mighty Mouse catch cans are used by Vengeance Racing, one of the top shops in the US and they stated the reason they use them is because they perform the best in their testing. Nothing against the competitors, I'm sure their products work well also.
Yeah, I like the fact that it opens up on high pressure situations (which me being a lead foot create all the time), and then closes when vacuum is available. However, I did see where people have reopened their cover only to still find traces of oil, which is better than gobs of oil, but I'd ( and I'm sure others) prefer no oil. I'm probably going here unless somebody comes up with something I haven't read about yet.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
You mean clean the valves? A properly installed catch can (combined with high quality gasoline with detergents) should cut down valve cleaning maintenance significantly

The MM can is vented. I prefer closed loop design of Elite.
Unfortunately, Here in Thailand I haven't a clue what I'm really getting. I do know what the sign says, 95 Oct Gasohol or straight unleaded 100%. But I think I'm going to have to do some research on this to truly know what's really going in the tank. I need a handheld test kit to know everything in the fuel...