Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
guitarman715

Drives: Future Gen6
Turbo 4 same engine as Cadillac ATS with Piston failures?

If so, this concerns me. I did a search and I can't seem to find any solid information that GM has fixed this piston issue with the ATS 2.0 piston failures. I would really hope that GM wouldn't release the new Camaro turbo 2.0 knowing it has issues with piston failures.

Maybe that is the reason for the late release?
guitarman715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Could be. I find it funny that this comes up, but nobody is really talking about the LT1 blown engines due to metal shavings or the overheating 8-speed transmissions as issues.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
guitarman715

Its because it has 455hp, who cares about metal shavings, right? That thing is badass! hahaha

I only kid, please dont hurt me V8 owners

I really hope GM has the problems solved before the release, or all those "new" camaro owners will leave with a bad taste in their mouths
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
guitarman715

So I found this, looks like they may have figured it out and fixed it. Also, it seems like only the ATS owners are the ones who are experiencing the failures, nothing on Google about the Mailbu or Regal 2.0T owners.

Subject: 14591 - Piston Damage Due To Engine Misfire

Models: 2013 Cadillac ATS

2013 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with 2.0L 4 Cylinder Engine (LTG)

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2016.

Condition

Certain 2013 model year Cadillac ATS and Chevrolet Malibu model vehicles equipped with a 2.0L 4

Cylinder Engine (LTG) may have a condition in which piston damage could occur due to an engine

pre-ignition condition. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil

Consumption

could increase. A warning light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If this

repair is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, the piston may be damaged and

the engine may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) with a revised spark control

calibration, install spark plugs with a colder heat range (required with the new calibration) and

place an update to the spark plug part number information located in the "Maintenance

Replacement Parts" found in Section 11 of the Owner Manual. GM will mall the Owner Manual

supplement to customers of record.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are Identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle

History screen In GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should

always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections

and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar

vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle

identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be

provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent

directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved

vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration

Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up

necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries.

Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete

this program.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care

and Aftersales (GMCCA). Please refer to

your

"involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts.

Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency

situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order
Old 06-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman715 View Post
So I found this, looks like they may have figured it out and fixed it. Also, it seems like only the ATS owners are the ones who are experiencing the failures, nothing on Google about the Mailbu or Regal 2.0T owners.

Subject: 14591 - Piston Damage Due To Engine Misfire

Models: 2013 Cadillac ATS

2013 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with 2.0L 4 Cylinder Engine (LTG)

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2016.

Condition

Certain 2013 model year Cadillac ATS and Chevrolet Malibu model vehicles equipped with a 2.0L 4

Cylinder Engine (LTG) may have a condition in which piston damage could occur due to an engine

pre-ignition condition. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil

Consumption

could increase. A warning light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If this

repair is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, the piston may be damaged and

the engine may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) with a revised spark control

calibration, install spark plugs with a colder heat range (required with the new calibration) and

place an update to the spark plug part number information located in the "Maintenance

Replacement Parts" found in Section 11 of the Owner Manual. GM will mall the Owner Manual

supplement to customers of record.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are Identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle

History screen In GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should

always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections

and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar

vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle

identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be

provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent

directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved

vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration

Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up

necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries.

Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete

this program.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care

and Aftersales (GMCCA). Please refer to

your

"involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts.

Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency

situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order
Aren't the Malibu and Regal both programed to run on regular and rated at 259 HP? Perhaps some of the Cadillac owners were trying to run regular in an engine which needs premium fuel? That could be part of the problem if not all of it.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Aren't the Malibu and Regal both programed to run on regular and rated at 259 HP? Perhaps some of the Cadillac owners were trying to run regular in an engine which needs premium fuel? That could be part of the problem if not all of it.
My 2015 Malibu 2.0 turbo requires 91 or better premium fuel.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
ATS was recalled to reprogram the PCM. So it likely was an issue and it has likely been resolved.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
guitarman715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
ATS was recalled to reprogram the PCM. So it likely was an issue and it has likely been resolved.
That's great, the 2.0T is going to have a ton of potential for those who can't get the v8!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Would using a colder spark plug and a revised calibration require a new EPA/CAFE certification?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #10
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
I found this on one of the Cadillac forums. Hope they have this all sorted out by now. Maybe the late release of the 2.0T Camaro has something to do with this. Hopefully GM is doing more testing, QC to make sure there aren't any more problems.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../613529?page=1

Cadillac placed very low on Consumer Reports reliability survey. CUE is mentioned as the main problem. But could all of these engine problems be the issue?

I don't put much stock in Consumer Reports regarding automobiles, but this is troubling.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
I've mentioned this before on a 2.0 LTG thread but I'll reiterate. As an Engine Assembly Technician at GM Tonawanda Engine Plant which exclusively builds the 2.0L LTG engine that powers the Cadillacs (amongst other models) as well the C7's LT1
engine, I can guarantee that the Camaro variant of the LTG is different. How different? I can't go into details for obvious reasons.
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

LovePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePhenom View Post
I've mentioned this before on a 2.0 LTG thread but I'll reiterate. As an Engine Assembly Technician at GM Tonawanda Engine Plant which exclusively builds the 2.0L LTG engine that powers the Cadillacs (amongst other models) as well the C7's LT1
engine, I can guarantee that the Camaro variant of the LTG is different.
How different? I can't go into details for obvious reasons.
Question..

Answered!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
With all the piston problems with the LTG engines, me thinks that this problem has been solved.
That's the reason for the delay in the production of the base 2016 Camaro...

Anyone going to SEMA this year, there will be a GM supplied 2016 ATS with the latest RX system installed on display.

Tracy Lewis, the Head of Engineering & Product Development at RX Performance Products, developed a solution to the GM 2.0 turbo piston failure issue, working with GM engineering to help solve design flaws, & overcome obstacles in product development.

The lack of understanding proper crankcase evacuation on turbo charged passenger cars has caused GM severe headaches with the failures related to this.

Back in 2013, there were some bad bearing that caused engine failures.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/maliboo...our-cylinders/
GM back then, had an interesting way, to check if an engine was bad.
They told dealers to rev the PISS out of the cars on the lots, as this would cause engine failure, if it had the bad bearings...

Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 10-24-2015 at 10:03 PM.
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
I know, I know, restarting an old issue.
My wife's 2013 Malibu 2.0T just had an engine replacement from the misfire and bad piston. I'm sure they have corrected the problem for the 2016 Camaro, but it IS a real issue if you purchased a 2013 with that engine. BTW, two weeks for the dealer to complete the engine transplant.

NEVER buy the first model year of a redesign! Just sayin.......history has proven statistics those are the most fragile. It's called BETA testing.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote