Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2023, 10:24 PM   #99
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I with you on this… it IS a sports car.

A sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the first known use of the term was in 1928.
Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.
I'm waiting for someone to say "but it's a four seater!" so it can't be called a sports car. Only insurance companies who believe that glorified rear package shelf is a usable rear seat think it isn't a sports car.

A fact I am particularly grateful for when I write that premium check.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:10 AM   #100
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Traditionally sports cars were soft top two seaters. By that definition Mustangs and Camaros are not sports cars because they have back seats and ‘most’ aren’t convertibles.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:06 AM   #101
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
Why would I try to explain why the 4 cylinder Camaro is either a muscle car or a sports car when that isn't the subject of the debate? You stated, emphatically, that the turbo 4 cylinder Camaro was NOT a sports car. I say you're wrong.

If you want to discuss that, fine. You can complain about my tone or intransigence, but I haven't been changing the subject.
Neither have I.

It’s a sporty car but not a sports car. Subtle difference. And I tend to go by the classic definition that the Corvette meets for a sports car…..2 seats. Which of course bring the 911 into the discussion as it is considered a sports car. But those are even worse seats than a Camaro and is suited for a duffel bag.

And then there is simply the historical argument that the Mustang and then Camaro were and still are “pony cars”. Ford invented the segment and it has kind of existed ever since. Sporty performance coupe with a little more room and practicality than a sports car of the day. Of course you could argue that since GM took most of the practicality away from the Gen6 it is now closer to a sports car.

The other argu,ent is simply when did the Camaro become a sports car? A Gen2 certainly wasn’t. A Gen3 or 4? Not then either. Gen5? A near 4,000 pound beast and a V6 was for sure sporty but not a sports car. So I see nothing in a 4 cylinder Gen6 that changed that story.

Now all that being typed, I’ve seen GM try to market the Gen5 and 6 as BOTH Muscle Cars and Sports Cars. So there is that.

But in the end, I would say in a very like minded site of Camaro fans calling names isn’t “nice”. Too many people on the internet automatically type “idiot” when someone has a different opinion. I’d bet your favorite beer you aren’t like that outside of here. This is considering I openly stated I know there is another opinion and why I won’t argue it. Just give you the basis for my opinion.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #102
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Neither have I.

It’s a sporty car but not a sports car. Subtle difference. And I tend to go by the classic definition that the Corvette meets for a sports car…..2 seats. Which of course bring the 911 into the discussion as it is considered a sports car. But those are even worse seats than a Camaro and is suited for a duffel bag.

And then there is simply the historical argument that the Mustang and then Camaro were and still are “pony cars”. Ford invented the segment and it has kind of existed ever since. Sporty performance coupe with a little more room and practicality than a sports car of the day. Of course you could argue that since GM took most of the practicality away from the Gen6 it is now closer to a sports car.

The other argu,ent is simply when did the Camaro become a sports car? A Gen2 certainly wasn’t. A Gen3 or 4? Not then either. Gen5? A near 4,000 pound beast and a V6 was for sure sporty but not a sports car. So I see nothing in a 4 cylinder Gen6 that changed that story.

Now all that being typed, I’ve seen GM try to market the Gen5 and 6 as BOTH Muscle Cars and Sports Cars. So there is that.

But in the end, I would say in a very like minded site of Camaro fans calling names isn’t “nice”. Too many people on the internet automatically type “idiot” when someone has a different opinion. I’d bet your favorite beer you aren’t like that outside of here. This is considering I openly stated I know there is another opinion and why I won’t argue it. Just give you the basis for my opinion.
If the strict definition of " two seats only" is the standard, then both the Camaro and 911 aren't sports cars, which I think is a bit of a stretch. The original Mustang and Camaro had usable (my college roommate had a 69 Camaro), if tight backseats. The Gen 6's back seat is not usable. I wouldn't even put a child back there in case I needed to them out quickly.

I did not call you an idiot, but some of my language was unnecessarily disparaging and for that I apologize.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote