#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2019, 12:46 AM   #15
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Lots of regular Z's out there hitting the tracks.

I don't think 4 full size tires are gonna fit in the back?? How far are you traveling to hit the tracks??
I have a 2019 ZLE and I can fit all 4 wheels/tires in the car as follows if necessary. 1 in trunk. 2 in back seat, 1 in front seat. You can fit 3 in back seat but you will need to have your driver seat moved way up.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
[QUOTE=Zl1+911;10635583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice3 View Post
I have a ZL1 1LE with A10 now. In between my 17 ZL1 A10 I did a Nissan GT-R, MB AMG GTR, and back to ZLE A10.

The ZL1 A10 with the DSC Controller was a very nice highway, take the wife to dinner, and enjoy 650whp. But it didn't feel.... special on track. It was just... so so. Just not enough aero out of the box for me.

I have 10+ years of track time under my belt and have set a few track records in my ZLE A10 this year. I would not DD the ZLE or Take the wife to dinner in it. The regular ZL1 I would all day.

]

I tried to figure it out from the video - can you help summarize the delta between your best with the ZA10 and the ZLEA10?
Best Times in both are seperated by about 2 seconds on Summit Point Main. Which considering we are talking ZL1 A10 doing 1:21-1:22 consistent and the ZLE A10 doing 1:19-1:20 consistent. I expect to dip into the 1:18s and possibly further in November when ambient temps drop to suit the supercharger.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Thanks - was that on OEM tires on both cars?
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #18
juice3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Thanks - was that on OEM tires on both cars?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice3 View Post
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you're a great track driver, how does the ZLE compare to the AMG GTR in terms of lap times and overall track experience?

I have a ZLE and have done 3 events so far. I'm getting used to the difference between this and the highly modified 500+ WHP Evo X that was my old track car for the last 6 years. I'm still a few seconds off my fastest times in the Evo at some tracks, within .5 at Buttonwillow where safe run-offs made it safer to push it.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #20
Crawdog450

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have a 2018 ZLE. It is track only car that we trailer everywhere. We drive with Speed Ventures in SoCal. This year the car took a beating in the heat of July and Aug at Willow Springs and Autoclub Speedway with temps right around 100 degrees. The car actually went through 2 session back to back, One with me then my wife took it out on the 2nd session. Only issues, Warm tires and lots of gas on those days. The car was put through its paces for almost an hour straight each session. 4 sessions total. Happy to report the tires are dead the car is great.

Zero issues.

As for warranty, GM never questioned the rebuild of our Corvette Z06 LT4 motor. Dealership even stated it should have never failed. We lemon lawed it shortly after the second engine repair, post rebuild. BUT! they kept working on it under warranty. Not everyone has that same encounter I'm sure but.... Chevy never really asked questions about why when we took in broke stuff.
Crawdog450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #21
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I think we already had this discussion on miataturbo.net, but I can add a little more now that we've (finally) tracked our ZL1...

As already answered, the ZL1 has all the same equipment as the ZLE.

I'm running the stock GY's or R888s at the track, both on aftermarket wheels. When the GY's wear out, they'll be replaced by P4S and be street only. We have A/S tires on the stock wheels for winter.

Compared to Miata wheels/tires, these things are huge, heavy and cumbersome. Even if they all fit in the car, it be a PITA to get them in/out. As an old fart with a bad back, even getting them in/out of my truck is a PITA. A tire trailer would be a great idea if you're driving to the track.

Pile of ZL1 tires next to pile of Miata tires:

Warranty stuff... honestly that's one of the reasons we bought the ZL1: amazing track capability stock. No mods needed.

That said, it's not a perfect world. I had some issues with full throttle surging on the track last weekend, and so far, the dealer has been zero help in figuring it out. "We can't duplicate the problem", blah blah blah, even though I showed them video from the PDR that shows it clearly. No codes though, so they won't do anything. I'm still working on the issue, but just realize while these cars are warrantied for track work, the realities may be frustrating.

I feel your pain, because I experience the same in our Miata... running in the advanced groups is usually a lot better. You certainly won't have problems getting by on the straights in a ZL1...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdog450 View Post
I have a 2018 ZLE. It is track only car that we trailer everywhere. We drive with Speed Ventures in SoCal. This year the car took a beating in the heat of July and Aug at Willow Springs and Autoclub Speedway with temps right around 100 degrees. The car actually went through 2 session back to back, One with me then my wife took it out on the 2nd session. Only issues, Warm tires and lots of gas on those days. The car was put through its paces for almost an hour straight each session. 4 sessions total. Happy to report the tires are dead the car is great.

Zero issues.

As for warranty, GM never questioned the rebuild of our Corvette Z06 LT4 motor. Dealership even stated it should have never failed. We lemon lawed it shortly after the second engine repair, post rebuild. BUT! they kept working on it under warranty. Not everyone has that same encounter I'm sure but.... Chevy never really asked questions about why when we took in broke stuff.
Which dealer did you take your Z06 to? I'd like to know where you got this great service in case I need it in the future, I've been going to Rydell and happy so far. Avoid Keyes at all costs, they damaged my car in multiple ways.

I'm in Sherman Oaks with a Hyper Blue 2018 ZLE, I've done 3 Speed Ventures events this year--BW, ACS and Laguna. Maybe I'll run into you soon, what color is your ZLE?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #23
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
6 track days this year and 4,000 miles since new on July 3, 2018. No problems and a beast on the track. The driver needs an upgrade but the car is great! My instructor at HPDE drove a CaymanS this summer and I saw him last weekend and he is now driving a ZL-1! The ZL-1 is making Porsche people believers...
Heartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #24
Crawdog450

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Which dealer did you take your Z06 to? I'd like to know where you got this great service in case I need it in the future, I've been going to Rydell and happy so far. Avoid Keyes at all costs, they damaged my car in multiple ways.

I'm in Sherman Oaks with a Hyper Blue 2018 ZLE, I've done 3 Speed Ventures events this year--BW, ACS and Laguna. Maybe I'll run into you soon, what color is your ZLE?

HEY SFV1LE. I bought the Z06 in Vegas at Ed Bozarth. The repairs were done at AV Chevy here in the AV. Real reason is they helped me get it sold back more so than repair it up. It was my 5th vette and it wasn't right in anyway. So happy with the service i got lol

If i have issues with this Camaro I am not sure where I will take it just yet.

I drive a RED ZLE no plates, Number 29.
Crawdog450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #25
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I've only done one track event and that was a TNIA event at Road Atlanta I think in June? Car did very well and I'm signed back up for another track event at Road Atlanta next month.

If you want a track only car then I'd go ZLE, but if you're like me and want a comfortable car to drive around AND have fun on the track then regular ZL1 all day...one piece of advice...make sure to get one with PDR -- I regret SO much not being patient and buying one without it.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #26
juice3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Sounds like you're a great track driver, how does the ZLE compare to the AMG GTR in terms of lap times and overall track experience?

I have a ZLE and have done 3 events so far. I'm getting used to the difference between this and the highly modified 500+ WHP Evo X that was my old track car for the last 6 years. I'm still a few seconds off my fastest times in the Evo at some tracks, within .5 at Buttonwillow where safe run-offs made it safer to push it.
You got used to AWD and are having problems pushing the RWD car? They are different animals. I had a NISSAN GTR, AMG GT-R, and I have had Evo's and currently pilot a STi in various time trials situations. AWD > RWD until you put track insurance on your beloved machine and start really pushing.

The AMG GT-R I had came from the factory with CCBs. They could NEVER get the track alignment right and the rear wheeel steering was all wrong on my car at VIR. I was very glad to be done with the car.

The ZLE is EASY to drive fast at VIR and Summit Point. Get the track alignment and ask for more camber. I'm at -3.1 in the front. I eat tires at a rate of 4-5 days per set. OK I call it a consumable for going fast.

Track Insurance Buddy.. It's your best friend for pushing it. It's sometimes a mental game over the skill game. I know I have the skills. Putting a AMG GT-R into the wall without insurance..... Just something I could never think of doing. I never set PBs unless I pay for the insurance.