Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #15
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I was originally going to build as Garnet Red but my OCD kicked in seeing the “red hot” callipers next to the Garnet Red, so I went MBM.
19Nasty1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Hello Friends,

Pleased to inform you that I am now an owner of a New 2018 Garnet Red ZL1 1LE.

I moved to this platform from a 2016 C7 Z06. The car hit road courses at least 2-3 times a year and was a blast on back roads. It also had the DSC Suspension module and DSC Alignment which made it a hot rod miata (in the best possible way) with power being put down beautifully and predictably.

My reason for the switch has to with the lack luster cooling with Oil Temps frequently north of 275' on track (w/ambient temps over 85').
For me to obtain robust track cooling, I'd be looking to spend at least $12k - $20k depending on the vendor and parts.

In addition, being a father to a toddler - I just didn't have the time or more importantly- the funds to pursue an expensive aftermarket solution. That coupled with few chances to drive the 2 seater on weekends cemented my position of letting go of the Z06. I just didn't want to keep looking at an expensive paper weight.

I've owned a number of performance cars prior to the C7 Z06. I was a huge M car fan before they switched to turbos and forgot what steering feel is.

I had the following M cars -
  • E90 M3 - 2011
  • E46 M3 - 2003
  • Z4 M - 2006

So understanding that track time was important to me and so was the ability to haul my kids occasionally and also have an track machine that had robust cooling..I sold my C7 Z06 for the ZL1 1LE.

First pics of my C7 Z06 on track -

The other Chevy -

2018 ZL1 1LE
  • CF Dash Trim
  • PDR
  • Battery Charger

First Glance

Before I took her away - one last parting shot with the Z06. My buddy applied Track Armor to the entire front in preparation for the 2 hour drive home

Next on to Detail, Polish and then PPF -

Most importantly -

Feedback so far -

That Supercharger whine Honestly, despite having the same motor in the Z06, you would never know that car had a supercharger.

Raw, Raw, Raw - This car with it's thin rear glass has less insulation bringing that exhaust noise into the cabin with force.

Ride - DSSV dampers. Enough said. This car is not for the faint hearted. Know what you are buying. I am a road course guy so I know what I have bought into. The Mag Ride in the Z06 definitely spoils you.

The ZL1 (non 1LE) is the one to have if you want the Jekyll and Hyde experience. It rides better (no surprise there) and does the Street + Track duality best.

Forget your spleens if you buy the ZL1 1LE.

As for me, my experience is Track First, Street Second so that explains my purchase.

Mods so far -
  • Katech PTB
  • Gorilla Black Wheel Lug Nuts
  • Michelin PS4S tires (Stock sizes) on OEM Wheels. GYer's are relegated for a dedicated track day set.
  • ZL1 Addons Lift Pads
  • Sto N Sho Front Plate (Not happy having to drill 2 holes through the lower air dam )
I look forward to making new friends on here. Cheers.
Congrats OP!

What do you miss about your e90 m3? I still can't get over the older m cars despite being much much slower than the 1LE...
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote