Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #29
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I don't like the Camaro or the Mustang. Never have. In fact, I'm not a fan of any American sedan/coupe. I'm an SUV and truck guy. I'm definitely more of a Ford fan than a GM fan.

However, the ZL1 1LE grabbed my attention and I love it so far. But I have other rigs for when the ZLE doesn't fit my purpose. Can't wait to get her on a track. And now the GT500 has me looking...which maybe I'll purchase too. My kids are trying to push me into the open arms of Porsche so we'll see where that goes!

I'd say you won't regret the ZL1 or the GT350. Just make the smart choice financially since they're both under warranty and you're torn between them. Or let your kid decide, and give it to him when you're done with it!
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #30
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
I own a 14 GT500. I bought it new. I always thought my next muscle /performance car would be a GT350. I just never really felt they were worth the money. They are cool looking but lack in power. Unless you get the track pack you cant really track it. The 2016s you had to choose track pack or tech pack. In 17 up they allowed both. Problem is a lot of people were not informed and made a bad decision because they wanted there larger touch screen and did not want the Recaro Seats. The only way to know if you have the track pack is if you have the Recaros you have the track pack.

The GT350 is a cool car but it is no ZL1. For the money you pay for one its almost silly. I bought a new 18 for almost 50 grand flat. The 19s have some good discounts and they are buyable for mid 50k. Then if you want a car that did 7.16 at the ring you can get a 1LE for high 60k to low 70k.

These cars have the same power plan the 120k CTS-V has and the same plant the 100k plus Corvette has. It is a really great time to be a buyer in this segment. Its great to have so many options.

End of day though I think you get way more for your money with the ZL1 than you do with the GT350. You get more power you get an incredible auto option you get a convertible option you can get a sunroof option and to topic al of you get carbon hood insert option if you like that. Plus the looks of the ZL1 are incredible. I cant think of a better looking car than the ZL1. It looks like a stealth fighter.

Either decision you make its not like if you were to change your ming you would loose or anything. Both keep their value and both are great cars so buy one and in 6 months or a year you aren't feeling it change it out. You won't loose to bad if at all.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #31
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi all,

Well, IMO, the cost factors, even just at MSRP, the ZL1 and ZLE are far and away a better deal. If you count in the ridiculous ADM of around $20k that most Ford dealers get, I could never justify a GT350 or GT350R over our cars.

I agree with many other posters the interiors on the Z's are far above the GT350's. And as far as the engine/trans package, there is no comparison. The horsepower difference is there, and the gearing in the Tremec is loads better, especially in the ZLE. IMO, the high numerical 1st on the GT350R is a long cry away from a road/track true close-ratio box, and the rest of the gear spreads are off as well. The 5th to 6th drop is too much also. At least Ford got rid of the stupid Getrag made in China trans they put in the '12 & '13 Boss 302's.

All of the above, and then the issue with what seems to be a rather large number of GT350 engines bunring excessive amounts of oil and blowing engines, why would one consider a GT350???? Looks, maybe, but I still think they look a bit "high schoolish" compared to our ZL1's

Just my thoughts....

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #32
sleepy floyd

Drives: '74 Ford Bronco
Thanks guys, definitely leaning Zl1, though my son is in love with the exhaust sound of the 'Stang (as am I). He keeps youtubing Borla exhaust for the ZL1 lol.
sleepy floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #33
buckeyeducati

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
For what appears to be only about a $2,500 price difference after you figure shipping in, the ZL1 is a no-brainer.

If it was a GT350R, then it would be a tougher decision.
Second this. GT350R would be a different story. Otherwise, go with the ZL1.
buckeyeducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #34
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
So guys, I posted this exact post on the GT350 forum and got some great responses and feedback. Would love to hear some honest, unbiased (as much as possible) feedback from this side as well, as I'm really struggling to decide between two awesome cars.

GT350 forum post:

So, I recognize that I'm posing this to a very biased audience :-), but here's my situation and how I got here...

I'm not biased to any particular brand, but I've also been partial to Ford (have owned 3 Mustangs in the past and currently have a '74 Bronco that I've been restoring over the past 5 years). My son and I stumbled on a gt350 when we were getting our GMC appraised at Carmax and talked our way into a test drive. By the time we were done, we were both grinning ear to ear and giddy for the rest of the day. We started looking around, and my son pointed out that there was an '18 ZL1 for sale at a local dealer that we should look at. I wasn't really interested, but we went by just to kill some time on a Saturday. Couldn't believe how impressed I was with the Camaro. It's nowhere near as stylish as the 350, but 650hp and 600+ torque, it is like a hammer (and I honestly like the interior better than the gt350).

We both (my son and I) prefer the styling of the Mustang as well as the sound (which is just unbeatable). I started getting very concerned though the more I researched and read about the oil consumption issues. That, plus I can get a better deal on a ZL1 (believe it or not there is still a dealer here in the bay area that has a leftover new 2018 gt350 in their showroom asking $20k premium over msrp lol). Anyway, these are the two cars that I'm looking at for the time being. Have been really close on pulling the trigger on the ZL1, but keep getting drawn back to the Ford.

Vehicle 1: brand new 2018 ZL1 6 speed, full factory warranty from Chevy dealer. MSRP: $65.5k, purchase price: $52.5k ($13k discount)

Vehicle 2: 2017 GT350, 2k miles (still need to confirm it is a late build/canister oil filter), has recaros and nav. Price is $49k + shipping as it's halfway across the country. I'm sure there are other options similar to this one if it doesn't work out, but this is about as low as I can find for a clean title one owner late production one.

Knowing what you know now, how would you feel about these two options (and try to keep your ownership goggles to a minimum :-) ).

Appreciate feedback.

I own both actually. My opinion. The Zl1 is a straight line monster and the 350 will get absolutely sauced.

Daily driver. I like the 350. I like rowing the gears, even tho it's a dead stick down low even those I have a JLT intake and tune done.

Overall build quality. I give it to the 350. I like the interior better as well and the seats and sound system is better than the Zl1. IMO.

Overall performance. Zl1 wins. Not even close. So, it's whatever you like man. You can't go wrong either way.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #35
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
I cross shopped both before picking the ZL1.

Biggest factors were I wanted the auto for daily driving and the GT350 would have required me to look outside my area to avoid paying a huge markup. I picked up the ZL1 with a modest discount for being in the area that I am.

I leased an F150 for my daily driving duties but still occasionally drive the ZL1 to work on nice days. Already put nearly 15k on it in less than a year, and absolutely no regrets.

Looks like you live near me, so if you ever want to check it out we could probably figure something out. Mine is stock except for the awe tuning catback.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #36
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Along with what everyone else said, how do you want to make power? They are two very different cars. One is naturally aspirated and you have to rev it to make power. The other is supercharged with better low-end torque but does not rev as freely. The Camaro would feel more lively around town with instant torque. The GT350 would be a bit anemic at low RPM's, but a blast if you like always revving it.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #37
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Overall build quality. I give it to the 350. I like the interior better as well and the seats and sound system is better than the Zl1. IMO.
I can't compare the 350 and the ZL1 interior as I only know the ZL1's. I think the ZL1's satnav is horrible (position/appearance/size) and the LED ambiance strips are ghetto. They should be hidden and not look so Tron-Like. Very strange.

BTW, if you see me on 99 don't forget to wave (I'm in Cypress).
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
I can't compare the 350 and the ZL1 interior as I only know the ZL1's. I think the ZL1's satnav is horrible (position/appearance/size) and the LED ambiance strips are ghetto. They should be hidden and not look so Tron-Like. Very strange.

BTW, if you see me on 99 don't forget to wave (I'm in Cypress).

I'll prob be down 99 tonight doing some pulls so.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #39
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
I have been a car guy from birth! I have owned a Cobra Shelby Roadster (recreation)and that was the best experience ever in a car, bar zero!! I've had '17 911 GTS and THAT was a fantastic piece of machinery. Last couple years I have come back to the muscle brain I was born with. Bought a 2017 new GT 350. Car was magical. Had the FPC sound, ride was nice, still a sportscar, but nice. 6 speed M. Drove it as much as humanly possible while trying NOT TO. Interior was nice, showed the Shelby style and smiles everytime I entered the cockpit. White w Blue stripe just like the oriignal.

Then, last year, I sold it! Planned to get the GT500 later this year. But in the meantime I always was curious about the Zl1. Had the HP and TQ, had the demonizing look and the supercharger sound I would imagine would be cool.

Looked at the Hellcat, nice, but not exciting build and who needs another 'straightliner"?
Demon, was not available and I wouldn't get it anyway. they both suck on track so they were out!!

On way home one evening, I stopped by a local Chevy dealer. I was curious to get some info on the Z. To my surprise, the salesman let me test drive it. I pulled up in my GT 350 so maybe that got him more interested, don't really know. But no one lets you test either car in So Cal! First impression was the interior was much MORE. Took to the street and tried getting a feel for the power and handling in 1 block (impossible but tried) made a quick pull to curb and it just darted like a magnet! I was in a Zl11LE so there you go. The whine and the power feel of the TQ was overwhelming. Now hooked, I decided THAT was my next car. Especially when I found the GT500 was not available in manual! bye bye..

Bought the car and have owned it for almost 2k miles. But I know cars and this BEAST is wayyy more car than the 350. I have no brand loyalty either, but quality Is most important. The z is so much quicker..not talking faster...but quicker. I hit it in a tunnel in 3rd and honestly admit it got my attention real fast!! Soft ride, not so much...but on nice roads it is a dream. The look over the hood is just a constant reminder...dude, you have a demon under your foot. Interior and ergonomics as the cool options like the ambient color options is really nice. HUD is very nice and useful. Tires an wheels look like a NASCAR. Mine is triple black so add that to the mix and it just reeks with BAD.

So, here is something to think before you jump. 350 is cool looking and built well. Oil or FPC being an issue....really isn't much to concern. You won't be tracking anyway so no big on those issues. visability is what you get in a sports car. Interior look , everytime you enter the car....is nice, not crazy but nice and makes you feel a special car is there. Sound....Nothing is like the FPC, nothing! Tour mode is perfect for neighbors ears. Performance...is stunning...doesn't move at all in corners and sticks like white on a rice cake. Cost...pretty much same at new but now different so that might make a diff to you.
Zl11LE...great look and designed well. Looks sinister from any view point in or out. Inside it shows more class and options and also...makes you know you have something special here. Sound...not the best part of a stock Z. I bought a Flow Master aftermarket for about 1200 and it now matches the look of the car...sounds like Darth Vader made the party. Performance....The first most impressionable note is the torque. That will take your breath away!! Hp is Hp and higher end it will romp on my old 350..but the jump of the 650 tq is staggering! It even has a built in set up as you take off in 1st and is senses mellow driving it forces you to go into 4th...at 20 MPH!! Not a problem as it just hums down the road. Nice power!!! Outside it has 305 rubber front a 325 in rear. Love that look everytime I go to my handwash shop and people just stare..until he fires up the devil and it snorts so loud it gets hairpieces dishoveled!!
So there you have it. Z...l1 or Gt 350. You won't lose either way. But....But...if you want to feel the biggest and baddest pavement eater around....this is it...ZL1!
Side note: I would always get these little buzz beaters.....WRX...Beamer M4...Acura whatever....and a few big boys tease and challenge. Had to drop a gear and let them know their place. With the Z, black and nasty....they don't even come next to me..and those bigger boys...well...they know there is someone here that can make them sleep with the fishes!! good luck and drive either like you stole it!!
fred z
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #40
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
In my book, the ZL1 does everything better than the GT350 except for some personal preference stuff like interior and sound. I think the Shelby's interior is nice, and the sound is ok. Sometimes I find it really annoying, other times I can't decide. The Shelby must be left stock exhaust wise though IMO, I've heard several with louder exhausts and/or deleted resonators/cats and they sound like a blender with marbles in it. If you want a drivers car that handles well and is a little more special, the GT350 isn't a bad option. But...why not just get a ZL1? Proven, reliable engine capable of lots of power and of course if both are stock the LT4 eats the Voodoo for breakfast in every comparison. The ZL1 looks great, it handles just as good or better. No question for me.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #41
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
In my book, the ZL1 does everything better than the GT350 except for some personal preference stuff like interior and sound. I think the Shelby's interior is nice, and the sound is ok. Sometimes I find it really annoying, other times I can't decide. The Shelby must be left stock exhaust wise though IMO, I've heard several with louder exhausts and/or deleted resonators/cats and they sound like a blender with marbles in it. If you want a drivers car that handles well and is a little more special, the GT350 isn't a bad option. But...why not just get a ZL1? Proven, reliable engine capable of lots of power and of course if both are stock the LT4 eats the Voodoo for breakfast in every comparison. The ZL1 looks great, it handles just as good or better. No question for me.

The Shelby's down shift pops are insane. I love em, but not enough to keep the car. haha.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #42
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I would be weary of buyin a 350 that is out of warranty or about to go out of warranty.

I haven’t bought one yet because of the ADM and the engine issues. 1 quart of oil burned every 500 miles is a little crazy in my book. Even though Ford says it’s normal.

I would not have peace of mind once the warranty on the car expired, the engines are just too unreliable. Maybe this next model year the Voodoo will be more reliable once they start sharing parts with the new block that’s in the new 500.

I’d go with the Zl1 if I were you.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote