Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Pad bedding - alternative procedure?

So I've installed new, factory replacement (Brembo/Ferrodo) front pads on my Camaro SS. Last time, I went through the pre-track bedding/burnishing procedure listed in the owner's manual, and it was a pain in the ass that took several hours of driving in circles.

Has anyone done something like the following, and is it OK for the stock pads? Seems much quicker and hopefully just as effective, or more effective.

wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Utjoel333

Drives: 2014 zl1
Several hours? That doesn't seem right. When I bought my zl1 there was a factory video on how to bed your brakes that was similar to the video shown but less aggressive from what I remember. I'm actually puting race pads on mine now (dtc 60) and will finish bedding them soon. There where instruction from the manufacture how to bed in the Hawks but will likely be doing it a little more after watching this video. Thanks for the vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Utjoel333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utjoel333 View Post
Several hours? That doesn't seem right. When I bought my zl1 there was a factory video on how to bed your brakes that was similar to the video shown but less aggressive from what I remember. I'm actually puting race pads on mine now (dtc 60) and will finish bedding them soon. There where instruction from the manufacture how to bed in the Hawks but will likely be doing it a little more after watching this video. Thanks for the vid

I guess "several" was really 2, and included time to drive out to a semi-deserted area, conduct the procedure and repeat after it didn't work, etc.

Thanks!
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Utjoel333

Lol. That's what I figured

Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
The road course will bed them well I assume.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Seems to me if you're trying to bed track pads at street speeds, all that extra driving in between stops will work against getting the temperature that you need. Just like running open cooling ducts.

But the concept of making the first set of stops only 'moderate' is well-taken from the point of view of controlling the rate of heat input to everything. And unlike a practice session for a wheel to wheel race where everybody else is probably doing the same thing, other drivers at an HPDE session - newly-minted intermediates in particular - may not right away pick up on what you're doing even if you stay off line to do your bedding.

FWIW, so far I've been able to get the bedding process started on the street with no extra driving between accelerating up to my braking speed and do a number of moderate stops (maybe 10 - 12?), followed by about the same number of much harder stops, and then a 10 mile or so drive out on the nearby Interstate. On the way to an event, I'll do a few harder snubs from a slightly higher speed, and the sum total of all that has seemed to be enough to put enough of a transfer layer down that the pads (Carbotech pads up to XP12) are more ready to go 9/10ths than I am.

That's with somewhat smaller rotors than what you guys have, so you should probably plan on doing more than a dozen stops in each step. As I expect to do when my own 14" 4-piston Brembo front upgrade goes on.

Like what Pete said in the other thread, it's a matter of picking something that works for you and sticking with it.

Norm
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had asked a similar question a while back. I agree, what a pain in the ass to do, especially here in SoCal. I do it on the frwy, thats the only you can achieve what the owners manual is saying how to do this. The last time i did this was on Easter at 2:00AM I figured that would be the nighest traffic time, nope!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Utjoel333

Lost brakes after trying to bed them in too much. Went 20 times 100-10