Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
AFM, aftermarket axle-back muffler, L99

So I was looking into getting a new axle-back muffler system for my 2015 2SS and as I was doing my research, I found a lot of people complaining how the AFM makes their new systems sound crappy. However, as I read those posts, I could not tell if people did axle-back or cat-back replacements. I'm looking to only do axle-back leaving the rest of my stock exhaust system in place.

I would like to hear from those who have systems like mine on how the AFM made there systems sound as it kicks in-out. Is it that bad is people make it sound.

I also read about the "Range" which will disable AFM so if I need to add this to my "muffler" upgrade, I'm ok with that if I have too.

Thanks for all input.

The muffler I'm looking at is the Legato since their kits work with convertibles.

joe...

Last edited by GodWentPunk; 05-09-2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
GodWentPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
RLNTLSS
INTSAGRAM: Failwish

Drives: 2019 /2SS LT1
I had a range device on my 2015 ss camaro for a few months worked like a charm..till ihad the afm tuned out.withy headers.now i have a high dollar paperweight
RLNTLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
GodWentPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlion View Post
I had a range device on my 2015 ss camaro for a few months worked like a charm..till ihad the afm tuned out.withy headers.now i have a high dollar paperweight
Depending on things, I might be in the market for a Range.

joe...
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
CamaroSS1675

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Joe, I used the range device on my 2013 SS L99 with Dynamax axle back. Had no issues. I ended up changing the front pipe to an LS3 pipe and combined with my axle back the sound was much better. I eventually got a tune from dynosteve@rdpmotorsport.com. Night and day difference in performance now. The LS3 pipe does not have the giant suitcase resonator in the middle and is much lighter....you can get the LS3 pipe for next to nothing. Good luck, Bill
CamaroSS1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlion View Post
I was the same route as this guy, I had Range device on my SLP Loudmouth 1(straight pipe), with AFM gone not really any problems. Slight Drone at highway speed but no bother. Ended up tuning it out anyways when headers went in. Id say if you go range device with any exhaust that has a muffler youll be fine man.

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
You could just do a muffler delete. Get the mufflers removed and have pipes welded on for around $100. Lots of 5th gen owners have gone this route and have been happy with it. Sounds more like it should have from the factory. I ran muffler delete for about 2 years until I got a cat back system.

FYI, since you have a convertible it has a big resonator as well as spring loaded butterfly valves which open with pressure. Theses can be wired/welded in the open position which reduces restriction and increases sound especially at startup and idle.

As far as AFM, I only ran muffler delete without the Range for a day and it sounded terrible. I would suggest the Range for sure. Range can cause occasional issues but its worth it to me to stay in v8 mode full time.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
GodWentPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
You could just do a muffler delete. Get the mufflers removed and have pipes welded on for around $100. Lots of 5th gen owners have gone this route and have been happy with it. Sounds more like it should have from the factory. I ran muffler delete for about 2 years until I got a cat back system.

FYI, since you have a convertible it has a big resonator as well as spring loaded butterfly valves which open with pressure. Theses can be wired/welded in the open position which reduces restriction and increases sound especially at startup and idle.

As far as AFM, I only ran muffler delete without the Range for a day and it sounded terrible. I would suggest the Range for sure. Range can cause occasional issues but its worth it to me to stay in v8 mode full time.
Well, I just bought the Range off Ebay... and it was built in Nov 2015 so it's the new 7.4 version... I'll give that a try and see how my car runs with it on even before I get my mufflers upgraded.

Some of the DIC displays were fixed with v7 so hopefully I will not be seeing much of that...

joe...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS1675 View Post
Joe, I used the range device on my 2013 SS L99 with Dynamax axle back. Had no issues. I ended up changing the front pipe to an LS3 pipe and combined with my axle back the sound was much better. I eventually got a tune from dynosteve@rdpmotorsport.com. Night and day difference in performance now. The LS3 pipe does not have the giant suitcase resonator in the middle and is much lighter....you can get the LS3 pipe for next to nothing. Good luck, Bill
Do you have a video with sound sample of what your exhaust sounds like? I want to do the exact same thing with my Vert.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I have catted long tubes and Solo's Mach XL catback exhaust. I can barely tell that I have AFM after having installed my long tubes. Before that, you REALLY had to listen for it. I left AFM still working because I figured why not keep it since I have the ability, it doesn't bother me, and why lose the extra mpg? Solo's Mach XL catback is freaking sweet! In my opinion I preferred the catback because there was no cutting involved and I got rid of the factory resonator for a muffled x pipe, now my ONLY muffler.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I would look at the Solo XL's with the J-pipes. I have the solo's, but not sure if I can fit the j-pipes due to my rear bumper mods. Solo has catback and axles back options. I have had mine for three years and love it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
My opinion is that the middle peice stops the AFM fart noise and the mufflers (with internal jpipe) stop the drone. Want louder my honest opinion is high flow cats or no cats or headers. Headers and oem exhaust is the best sounding and not loud IMO