Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #99
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Some of the ideas here are off the wall comical. The 5.3 is not happening. GM would need to go through a complete recertification of fuel economy and emission testing for that engine in the Camaro. Not happening. Forget it.

Infotainment screen is not only required as the previous post stated due to the federally mandated backup camera, but removing it would require a complete reengineering of the entire electrical system and ECM of all versions and trim levels of the Camaro. NOT HAPPENING!!!

The only plausible option would be the RS package. But as I said before the take rate of the RS package on all 2009-2015 1SS and 2SS Camaros was over 80%. GM made it standard on all 6th gen Camaro SSs for production efficiency and cost savings. If they make it optional again most SS buyers are going to want it anyway.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #100
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The only plausible option would be the RS package. But as I said before the take rate of the RS package on all 2009-2015 1SS and 2SS Camaros was over 80%. GM made it standard on all 6th gen Camaro SSs for production efficiency and cost savings. If they make it optional again most SS buyers are going to want it anyway.
I guess it depends on whether they think that 20% which didn't get the SS/RS might translate into a sufficiently large additional customer base to offset the additional costs and inefficiencies that option would introduce. Will it? Who knows, but the considerably higher starting price for an SS compared to the 5th gen could mean that 20% is even larger today.

If they can expect that nearly all customers would want to leave with an RS-optioned SS anyway, I suppose they could also play games like deliberately pricing the most basic of SS for a small loss to bring customers in the door, then let them choose to option it into profitability with the RS package and other goodies. In a year, if sales increase and that no-frills SS proves more popular than expected, they could bump the price to eat into that loss and see what happens then.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #101
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I think this would be a great move. There are plenty of people that would buy a Camaro for a few thousand less if they could. The Mustang has sold lessor contented V8 models for a long time and it's an attractive option. Most people want a V8 and don't care about brembos and fancy gauges with 0-60 timers,etc.

At first I thought would they bring back the Berlinetta? Lol Then I thought they would most likely change the 1SS (perhaps buy removing the Brembos and 20" wheels, etc.) and then bump the current 1SS and 2SS up to a 2SS and 3SS respectively.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #102
Thirty3

Drives: SS 1LE
Build options???

Well I'd like a 1ss 1LE with the ZL1 1LE goods (front bumper, fenders, hood, wheels, suspension, dive planes, possibly the rear wing)...basically a ZL1 1LE with the LT1 engine. And you can take out all of extra 2ss options.

The GT4.R Camaro has the ZL1 1LE overall appearance but is running the LT1 engine. That's what I want, and it shouldn't really cost any more than the current 1ss 1LE, Unless I opted for the $3,000 wing.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #103
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post

Actually you can do that now by buying the 1SS. The 2SS is all needless bells & whistles except for the BOSE in my opinion. Saves about $5000 and for around $1800 you can add a sub and amplifier that will blow way the stock Bose. I used the $5000 savings to also add Recaro seats, factory handing suspension and lowering kit, better aftermarket wheels and a few other goodies. I guess what I'm saying is $37000 for a V8 Camaro is still a relative bargain.
1SS, Recaro seats, A8 w/paddle shift extensions, NPP, Magnuson 2300 supercharger, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and x-pipe, factory handling kit, Phastek lowering springs, Alpine sound system w/JL sub, Lexani custom 21" wheels, Michelin Super Sport 4S tires, Bigwormgraphix striping, Chevy Performance Brembo big brake kit, darkened taillights and Remin carbon fiber dash kit.

douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #104
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty3 View Post
Build options???

Well I'd like a 1ss 1LE with the ZL1 1LE goods (front bumper, fenders, hood, wheels, suspension, dive planes, possibly the rear wing)...basically a ZL1 1LE with the LT1 engine. And you can take out all of extra 2ss options.

The GT4.R Camaro has the ZL1 1LE overall appearance but is running the LT1 engine. That's what I want, and it shouldn't really cost any more than the current 1ss 1LE, Unless I opted for the $3,000 wing.
I would go for that , the gen 6 SS 1Le should of had DSSV from the start. Hopefully the 2019 SS 1LE will bring some new goodies along with a facelift and the LT2.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #105
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I'm a little surprised at the 5.3 negativity not! I'm glad GM has decided to tweek the camaro options, I hope it enhances sales and not lowers overall profits..its an interesting idea because adding choices in manufacturing generally adds overall costs..remember how they used to sell Cadillacs ..needed that high purchase point but still went away in the end.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #106
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
remember how they used to sell Cadillacs ..needed that high purchase point but still went away in the end.
My Grandfather bought a 1985 Eldorado a couple years after he retired. It was going to be the last car he ever owned (until it was stolen in 1993).

The option list and build configuration was staggering. Every little feature was ala-carte optional. Rear defrost. Electronic speedometer. Three different radios choices: base with no cassette, the "Symphony Sound" cassette with 5 band equalizer and AM "Stereo", and the Bose Premium "Concert Sound" (wow GM has been with Bose for over 30 years???) - he got the 5 band equalizer.

Power passenger seat, power seat recliners, automatic headlamps, cruise control (even in '85 I can't believe cruise was still an option on a Cadillac), rear reading lights, delayed interior lighting..... and there were more options that he didn't get, like memory driver's seat, auto dimming rear view mirror, and moonroof.

Imagine the fact that anyone could order the car with any, all, one, or some of the options I mentioned. Which meant GM had to have a stock of all the parts ready for assembly at the plant in the event one of them might be ordered.

I've seen pictures of Eldorados with the 2 position memory driver's seat - the memory buttons being on the driver's door armrest in front of the seat switches changes the length of the switch assembly with all the switches (windows, locks, mirror, seat), so different armrest panels and plastic switch covers were needed based on if you ordered the memory seat or not.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #107
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I know right^ it was amazing
Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #108
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
My Grandfather bought a 1985 Eldorado a couple years after he retired. It was going to be the last car he ever owned (until it was stolen in 1993).

The option list and build configuration was staggering. Every little feature was ala-carte optional. Rear defrost. Electronic speedometer. Three different radios choices: base with no cassette, the "Symphony Sound" cassette with 5 band equalizer and AM "Stereo", and the Bose Premium "Concert Sound" (wow GM has been with Bose for over 30 years???) - he got the 5 band equalizer.

Power passenger seat, power seat recliners, automatic headlamps, cruise control (even in '85 I can't believe cruise was still an option on a Cadillac), rear reading lights, delayed interior lighting..... and there were more options that he didn't get, like memory driver's seat, auto dimming rear view mirror, and moonroof.

Imagine the fact that anyone could order the car with any, all, one, or some of the options I mentioned. Which meant GM had to have a stock of all the parts ready for assembly at the plant in the event one of them might be ordered.

I've seen pictures of Eldorados with the 2 position memory driver's seat - the memory buttons being on the driver's door armrest in front of the seat switches changes the length of the switch assembly with all the switches (windows, locks, mirror, seat), so different armrest panels and plastic switch covers were needed based on if you ordered the memory seat or not.

One of the first things that changed when US automakers did in depth study of why the Japanese, Toyota in particular, were kicking our ass in terms of manufacturing cost and efficiency. The assumption was that it was labor costs. That was a big part of it. But inventory management as well as build quality variability, were also a much bigger deal than originally thought. Workers were finding that each vehicle that came to them needed different parts / time to assemble because something was different from the last one. The transition has been to "managed" differentiation. Still allows for options, but the options are better controlled and better planned.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #109
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
At least make the safety features optional on the 1LS, 1LT, and 1SS, sure.

But if the idea is to lower the price of admission, adding optional features will do nothing to accomplish that, especially when we're talking $2700 worth of MRC/NPP features. You're not going to cut costs by adding any comfort/tech features you can't already get on a 1LS/1LT.
My whole argument is that mrc/npp is waaay overpriced.
They can trim some fat there.
And if they are standard you get scale economies.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 AM   #110
VF-22

Drives: 4 Wheels
Said this two years ago...glad they finally realized what they need to do which is put out a V8 that is basically a 1LT/2LT but with the V8 engine. Price will be about $3k-$4k cheaper.

The SS is a track oriented car. Remove those track focused items (Brembos, larger wheels, extra radiators/cooling, performance suspension, larger wheels, higher RAR, summer tires, etc) & you get a nice DD Camaro with a V8.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=401
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=457

Quote:
It would be the MRC, larger wheels with summer tread, 3.73 differential, performance suspension, brembos, larger cooling, etc but not the NPP...that adds weight from what I've read.

Just saying it seems like Chevy is forcing those that don't want that into the V6 with RS package.

They could easily offer the 1SS/2SS with 18-19" wheels, a lower RAR like 3.31 or 3.55, all season tires, the sports suspension from the V6, 4 caliper brakes, standard cooling, etc. That would lower the price a few grand and bring in buyers.

If you are over on M6G there are definitely 2 types of GT buyers.

The "Touring" type that was a really nice V8 that is fast but great for long road trips and gives a nice ride/DD and gets somewhat decent MPG.

The "Track/Performance" type that want their performance features and dont care about anything other then their GT being as fast as possible and as track capable as possible.

I mean lets be honest, this doesn't hurt Chevy at all to offer/have a less 'track' ready SS. You're just swapping some minor things that do not affect the line or build process at all. I mean if Ford can do it, Chevy can. Options are good.
Quote:
I know it's track capable...my point is they have features on there that many don't need but still want a V8. I think Ford did the smart thing and put the majority of the 'performance/track' stuff into a package while Chevy has it just included which is a big part of the $$$ difference.
VF-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #111
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
My whole argument is that mrc/npp is waaay overpriced.
They can trim some fat there.
And if they are standard you get scale economies.
The idea here is to reduce the price of the entry level SS. Adding extra equipment as standard might make the price of that equipment a bit lower, but it will have the effect of making every Camaro produced noticeably more expensive.

As for those being overpriced, you'd have to go much more in depth as to why and by how much for me to believe that.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #112
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
One of the first things that changed when US automakers did in depth study of why the Japanese, Toyota in particular, were kicking our ass in terms of manufacturing cost and efficiency. The assumption was that it was labor costs. That was a big part of it. But inventory management as well as build quality variability, were also a much bigger deal than originally thought. Workers were finding that each vehicle that came to them needed different parts / time to assemble because something was different from the last one. The transition has been to "managed" differentiation. Still allows for options, but the options are better controlled and better planned.
Which brings me back to my argument that making the RS package optional on the Camaro 1SS isn't something GM would like to do considering over 80% of the 5th gen 1&2 SSs were purchased with it.