Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Sleep

Drives: 2021 LT1
2021 LT1 Brake Pads Different From 2020

Wanting to reduce brake dust on my car and thinking powerstop and rockauto just hadn’t updated their listings yet for 2021 models, I ordered a set of Powerstop Z261001 pads which supposedly fit a 2020 LT1. When I went to make the swap I found the front Brembo front brakes are different than anything I’ve seen searching the internet. The pads are wider and the pad hardware is totally not the same as what Powerstop supplied for the kit I purchased. My calipers have 2 threaded pins which the pad rides on each side of the caliper instead of the force fit pins which passes from one side of the caliper to the other. In the center of the caliper there is a “pin” which is about 3/8” in diameter on which the spring that pushes down on the pads mounts. That pin has 10 point bolt on the inside of he caliper which may not be an issue since it looks to me like the one end of that caliper will need to be removed and the caliper will need to be rotated up to remove the pads. I’m not sure how to determine what size 10 point socket would be needed. Just putting sockets on it tells me it’s something between 10 and 12 mm but I found 1 socket that was 11.5 mm. I called Powerstop and they simply said they don’t carry a product for a 2021 Cameron LT1. If anyone can share some info on this I’d really appreciate it, otherwise this is just a heads up for anyone with a 2021 LT1.
Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
NotFast

Crap. Thanks (I guess) for being the guinea pig. This is disappointing because it seems like brake pad manufacturers now need to stock different pads?
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Sleep

If anything, it looks like a better and maybe more expensive design so I doubt this change resulted in much if any cost savings. Just have to wait a few or several months to get pads which create less dust than the OEs.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:15 AM   #4
Sleep

With a bit more research I found this is the same configuration as a C8 Corvette. The pad replacements I’ve seen on those took the caliper off the rotor as the guys doing the work didn’t have a socket for that 10 point bolt either.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
NotFast

Good find. I looked through a few threads over on the Corvette Forum and that's so interesting. I guess that's a Torx Plus head and it looks like it can handle way more torque than a regular Torx.

Any idea is this is the same brake setup the C8 uses?
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Sleep

It’s a T40 Torx bolt, no problem with that. The Powerstop pads for the 2020 C8 Z51 comes with new Torx bolts with tread lock already applied. Temped to try the C8 pads, need more research.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep View Post
Wanting to reduce brake dust on my car and thinking powerstop and rockauto just hadn’t updated their listings yet for 2021 models, I ordered a set of Powerstop Z261001 pads which supposedly fit a 2020 LT1. When I went to make the swap I found the front Brembo front brakes are different than anything I’ve seen searching the internet. The pads are wider and the pad hardware is totally not the same as what Powerstop supplied for the kit I purchased. My calipers have 2 threaded pins which the pad rides on each side of the caliper instead of the force fit pins which passes from one side of the caliper to the other. In the center of the caliper there is a “pin” which is about 3/8” in diameter on which the spring that pushes down on the pads mounts. That pin has 10 point bolt on the inside of he caliper which may not be an issue since it looks to me like the one end of that caliper will need to be removed and the caliper will need to be rotated up to remove the pads. I’m not sure how to determine what size 10 point socket would be needed. Just putting sockets on it tells me it’s something between 10 and 12 mm but I found 1 socket that was 11.5 mm. I called Powerstop and they simply said they don’t carry a product for a 2021 Cameron LT1. If anyone can share some info on this I’d really appreciate it, otherwise this is just a heads up for anyone with a 2021 LT1.
Wow, this is news to me, I have a 2021 LT1 that was built the week of 11/02 and I have 0 brake dust issues with 1600 miles on the car. There are other recent LT1 forum members that share the same experiences.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #8
Sleep

My car was built 12/15. The brake dust level is not horrible so maybe the pads are improved but the dust level is far from 0. I have and have had cars on which I have put high quality ceramic brake pads where the brake dust level was virtually 0. I make a 65 mile round trip twice a week after which the wheels have noticeable dust each time. I have the gray split spoke wheels and they look more like gunmetal after 100 miles. Wiping a wheel section with a finger shows the difference from clean and the black dust will cover my finger tip. I also believe the brake ducts in the front facia work well for cooling the brakes but by doing so funnel a noticeable bit of brake dust onto the outside surface of the rear facia. Good to hear you are not having any issues with brake dust. It isn’t killing me either and hasn’t lessened my overall enjoyment of my LT1.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
metal

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
Are the 2021 Rear brakes different too?
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #10
Sleep

Not sure but the rears look like the same brakes as previous year.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
Sleep

Not trying to beat this to death, but I’m still confused on the correct front pads for my 2021 LT1. Powerstop is still showing the Z26-1001 as the correct pad, but those pads utilize 2 pins to locate the pads instead of the 4 Torx bolts which are on my calipers.

Has anyone actually replaced their 2021 LT1 front pads yet and can give some knowledge?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Are you guys aware Chevy had to greatly reduce the copper in the Brembo pads on SS and up models of the Camaro, in order to continue to offer them for sale in CA and WA? Seems too much was getting in their waterways.

The copper helps provide the "bite" of the pad and Chevy had to redesign the calipers (bigger) to retain the same level of braking ability and feel.

For a while in 2021 you couldn't order an SS, ZL1, 1LE, etc.. But it sounds like you have some transition cars as they moved to keep the cars available.

See- https://www.motorbiscuit.com/you-can...ngton-anymore/

That article is dated 12/08/2020 and states that dealers couldn't order 2021's as early as 11/2020. But existing stock could be sold. I'd say there is likely a mix of old and new design cars out there. Buy new pads after careful confirmation they will fit your configuration.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:06 PM   #13
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Yeah that's partly why I have my 3LT, my dealer couldn't get any allocations, much less a V8. Love my v6 tho.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote