Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-28-2021, 10:27 PM   #15
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I can tell you that as far back as 2008 GM was already doing more then what we know. They had the ability to see how many times an ECM was flashed to retune, as well as every single CEL that came on, what mileage it came on, how many hours of runtime it came on at, how many times that code was set before it was reset and how long the condition was present. Even if the CEL was reset or the battery disconnected. It was hard written to memory. When I bought my other fun car, I had a buddy (FSE for GM) offer to pull every single time the CEL was on and what it was on for. Not sure what goes on now, if that was possible back then.
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_White View Post
I can tell you that as far back as 2008 GM was already doing more then what we know. They had the ability to see how many times an ECM was flashed to retune, as well as every single CEL that came on, what mileage it came on, how many hours of runtime it came on at, how many times that code was set before it was reset and how long the condition was present. Even if the CEL was reset or the battery disconnected. It was hard written to memory. When I bought my other fun car, I had a buddy (FSE for GM) offer to pull every single time the CEL was on and what it was on for. Not sure what goes on now, if that was possible back then.
I think the ECM is different from the "black box" I'm talking about, as in, something similar to what airplanes have.

The ECM has actually always been able to show code and clearing history - of the check engine codes.

I'm curious about the computer that records speed, engine RPM, steering angle, throttle position, brake threshold, seatbelt connection, seat occupation, airbag deployment all on a constant live loop in real time - the Event Data Recorder (EDR)...... those are all coordinates recorded in a separate computer that for the most part requires the specific manufacturer's Crash Data Retrieval System (CDRS) to access and decode the information from.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote