Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
What W2W Racing Classes could a modified ZLE be eligible for???

Having now tracked the ZLE for three track seasons (2018/19/20) - and having a BLAST doing it! - I'm considering going all in on mods over this winter.

Mods I have made over the past three years would be AP Racing Brakes / 4pt Cage / Racing Seats / Harnesses / BC Forged 18's / Slicks.

I had added some HP with a 10% overdrive pulley on the top end of the stock 1.7 Eaton, but it wouldn't hold up to hard track use and after blowing up two superchargers I'm back to a stock pulley and only CAI/Ported TB & Supercharger/Headers/AWE.

Car is incredible. And even the Driver mods started to kick in this season...

Will need to keep working on driver skills and there are always better drivers out there to learn from.

That said, about all that is left for the ZLE would be taking some significant weight out of the car, upgrading the SC for more HP, and more Aero.

Strongly considering major surgery:
1. Stripping everything but crash bars and handles out of the doors
2. Stripping everything vinyl/carpet/soundproofing out of the interior
3. Probably stop short of using a sawzall....but taking out anything else I can.

Plan to run the lighter car in 2021 and then consider more HP in 2022.

Lots of great work to learn from on lightening up the car (Thanks Nicky! ) and looking forward to a lighter more nimble ZLE next season.

Reason for the post is......I'm planning to get my W2W license sometime in the next three years, and I'm wondering if there is a future for the modified ZLE in any W2W racing, or if I'm going to need another car for SCCA/NASA/Etc?

It might change my thinking on going all in with the ZLE, or starting to build a purpose built ride for W2W use?

Any help and insight would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Go buy a racecar. Sell the ZL1 1LE if necessary.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
As a legacy from my drag racing days, safety is a big concern. I’ve thought about putting a full cage in mine whether for W2W or just for piece of mind with my sons during “normal” track events. However, the inability to get out through the window with a helmet on is a big downside to this car. I’d put a roof escape hatch if I did cage the car. Add a HANS and the roof bar over the window opening plus a containment seat, and the egress part gets that much harder with your helmet on.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Go buy a racecar. Sell the ZL1 1LE if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
As a legacy from my drag racing days, safety is a big concern. I’ve thought about putting a full cage in mine whether for W2W or just for piece of mind with my sons during “normal” track events. However, the inability to get out through the window with a helmet on is a big downside to this car. I’d put a roof escape hatch if I did cage the car. Add a HANS and the roof bar over the window opening plus a containment seat, and the egress part gets that much harder with your helmet on.
Good point on the egress issue RUQWIKR....has always been a concern of mine at HPDEs.....could be a showstopper for W2W use? If I do strip the interior and add lightness and push this car harder for a few more seasons at HPDEs will likely upgrade from 4pt cage to 6pt and add a fire suppression system.

Badmojo, you're giving me good advice, just not what I want to hear. You're right, it's likely going to need to be a different car for W2W someday. I'm just going to have to get past it and realize if I gut the car and more heavily modify it for more fun and better times the next few years at HPDEs, I'm going to have to get a different Razecar for W2W.

Appreciate the input guys.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 12-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
You would save likely close to 150-200 lbs switching to an NA setup. You can get 750-800 HP NA on good fuel, gain some RPMS, and lose weight all at the same time.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Todd,
For W2W I think it depends more on what group you want to run with (NASA or SCCA). For NASA I believe they use a HP/weight ratio number for their classing where as SCCA is more of a rule book of set classes and then you ha e to read the rules to see what mods are allowed.

Surprisingly unless you get up into the GT1 GT2 classes in SCCA most of the other production based classes really do not allow many engine modifications for big HP. Most production based classes in SCCA actually run mostly stock engines and in some cases even restricted engines (restrictor plates). I know a guy that was running a 5th gen 1LE in SCCA T2 and I believe he had to even run either a 70mm or am 80mm restrictor plate in an otherwise stock LS3.

So I think many people that have highly modified engines for HPDE track use have often already exceeded the allowed modifications for W2W racing classes.

You could always try a spec Miata or a Spec Corvette. I’m sure you are laughing away at a spec Miata but I started racing a spec Miata last year and they are a lot of fun. The Miata will really teach you a lot about carrying momentum and getting back on the gas on corner exit. It really does teach you and show you where you need to improve compared to the seasoned drivers.

Good luck with the W2W. I know I’m looking forward to season #2 in 2021!

An SS 1LE I believe might fit into T2 class for SCCA. Not sure where a ZLE would fit. I’d have to read the SCCA rule book more to see where 2016+ Camaro’s fit class wise.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
You would save likely close to 150-200 lbs switching to an NA setup. You can get 750-800 HP NA on good fuel, gain some RPMS, and lose weight all at the same time.
Zach,

If/when my LT4 goes boom, I'll be talking to you! Think I met you at Mid-Ohio back in Sept. at the MVP event??

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Todd,
For W2W I think it depends more on what group you want to run with (NASA or SCCA). For NASA I believe they use a HP/weight ratio number for their classing where as SCCA is more of a rule book of set classes and then you ha e to read the rules to see what mods are allowed.

Surprisingly unless you get up into the GT1 GT2 classes in SCCA most of the other production based classes really do not allow many engine modifications for big HP. Most production based classes in SCCA actually run mostly stock engines and in some cases even restricted engines (restrictor plates). I know a guy that was running a 5th gen 1LE in SCCA T2 and I believe he had to even run either a 70mm or am 80mm restrictor plate in an otherwise stock LS3.

So I think many people that have highly modified engines for HPDE track use have often already exceeded the allowed modifications for W2W racing classes.

You could always try a spec Miata or a Spec Corvette. I’m sure you are laughing away at a spec Miata but I started racing a spec Miata last year and they are a lot of fun. The Miata will really teach you a lot about carrying momentum and getting back on the gas on corner exit. It really does teach you and show you where you need to improve compared to the seasoned drivers.

Good luck with the W2W. I know I’m looking forward to season #2 in 2021!

An SS 1LE I believe might fit into T2 class for SCCA. Not sure where a ZLE would fit. I’d have to read the SCCA rule book more to see where 2016+ Camaro’s fit class wise.
Nick,

Great to hear from you and thanks for weighing in! Not laughing at all about your participation in the Spec Miata series.....I could tell you had a blast with it last year. Congrats on making the leap to W2W!

I've started looking at some of the NASA and SCCA rules/specs and will see what I can figure out. Was hoping I might find some forum members that are already running in one of the series to give me a jump start. I'll keep researching.

Starting to feel like for a number of reasons that I might just need to move forward with all the weight saving and safety mods on Razecar this winter and have fun in HPDE and work on my driving skills for a couple more seasons - then look at a more purpose built Racecar for W2W. The Camaro/Mustang Challenge looks very interesting. My first HPDE car was a 2002 SS and I've learned a lot in three different track cars since then. Might be fun to go back to a 4th Gen in the CMC?!?

Thanks again for the input and take care!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"