Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2020, 02:33 AM   #1
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
First time at the track - Check list!?

Hi,

I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and have 0 track experience.

Thinking about going to Fontana Speedway and/or Big Willow Springs

I purchased Apex Arc 8 rims and planning on using 325/30/19 & 345/30/19 Hoosier R7( Haven't purchased tires yet, should I just use OEM? )

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

I will be driving the car to the event(s). I am thinking about picking up a trailer.

I was thinking of bringing extra transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, electric pump air w/ gauge.

Thanks for suggestions/missing items!
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I think you are putting the cart way before the horse my man. There’s a lot to learn.

If you have 0 track experience you shouldn’t even be thinking about R7’s, the SCR’s are advanced enough to mask most beginners mistakes. Hoosiers are great but you need to learn how to drive first.

The only thing you need is decent brake fluid. DTC’s are also out of the question for beginners, stick with stock pads. No need for a trailer yet, figure out if you enjoy tracking first.

Bring a torque wrench, decent food, plenty of water, a standard mechanics tool set and a brake bleeder and extra brake fluid. Lots of beginners overheat their brakes from over braking and not knowing how to modulate brakes on these heavy cars.

Check the ego at the gate, get an instructor and learn, learn, learn. Soak as much information as you can, go ask the fast guys questions. If you notice a seasoned driver driving a similar car to yours, see if you can hop in the car with them.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Great advice^

Take it easy. Lots to learn before spending a ton of cash on unnecessary stuff.

Eat light and often throughout day with lots of water. A full day track event can be mentally exhausting.

Take aspirin as well and Bonine (anti nausea medicine). These G forces can make you sick
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I think you are putting the cart way before the horse my man. There’s a lot to learn.

If you have 0 track experience you shouldn’t even be thinking about R7’s, the SCR’s are advanced enough to mask most beginners mistakes. Hoosiers are great but you need to learn how to drive first.

The only thing you need is decent brake fluid. DTC’s are also out of the question for beginners, stick with stock pads. No need for a trailer yet, figure out if you enjoy tracking first.

Bring a torque wrench, decent food, plenty of water, a standard mechanics tool set and a brake bleeder and extra brake fluid. Lots of beginners overheat their brakes from over braking and not knowing how to modulate brakes on these heavy cars.

Check the ego at the gate, get an instructor and learn, learn, learn. Soak as much information as you can, go ask the fast guys questions. If you notice a seasoned driver driving a similar car to yours, see if you can hop in the car with them.
Appreciate the info!
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Ditto all the above. Here's another thread highlighting some specific packing lists: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567695

I highly recommend sticking with stock wheels, tires, and brakes. No need to swap stuff out as stock is plenty capable for track driving and will work best with all the controls systems (i.e. PTM).

If you haven't already done so, make sure to read through the owner's manual, high performance supplement, and track prep guide for your car to be familiar with all the prep steps and additional features you can use on the track before you get to the track. In addition to brake fluid needing swapped there are a number of other things that should be done. Diff fluid change specifics, track alignment settings, starting cold tire pressures, and IIRC the ZL1 1LE is also recommended to use a different oil when being used on track. All good things to do to for longevity, even with no prior track experience, and also required to maintain warranty.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
Hi,

I purchased Apex Arc 8 rims and planning on using 325/30/19 & 345/30/19 Hoosier R7( Haven't purchased tires yet, should I just use OEM? )

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

I will be driving the car to the event(s). I am thinking about picking up a trailer.

I was thinking of bringing extra transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, electric pump air w/ gauge.

With zero experience, keep the PTM in "dry" and you'll stay plenty safe. Please stick with OEM tires and everything else if it's not too late. Slicks grip, grip, grip, and then let go without warning if you don't have experience with them. Some HPDE groups won't even let you run them in the lower run groups. You'll probably just need a little extra oil and the air pump.

You're about to get seriously hooked...
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
This may help. I drive to/from track and this is my prep and pack list. Just bought a trailer, so will be updating it for trailer packing.

You can fit two decent size Rubbermaid totes in your trunk, and still have room for HANS, helmet and folding chair. I put a cooler and life support stuff in fron seat and a spare F and R tire in back seat in case I catch a nail or something on way there.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZL1 Track Pack & Prep List.pdf (197.6 KB, 134 views)
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Keep on eye on the gas level. Sucks to end a session early because you almost ran out on track. You'll go through about a half tank every session.

Hopefully there's a gas station nearby, otherwise prepare to spend double for gas at the track.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #9
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Go here: http://alfaclubracing.com/type-of-events/#DrivingSchool, and sign up for their Driving School at Streets of Willow January 16-17.

$299 for a two day driving school is a value that you're going to have a hard time beating. This is about the best way to get started in track driving. The Alfa Club school includes classroom instruction, skidpad work, and track.

As noted above, you don't need to change anything on the car, bone stock it's far more capable than 99% of drivers.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
This may help. I drive to/from track and this is my prep and pack list. Just bought a trailer, so will be updating it for trailer packing.

You can fit two decent size Rubbermaid totes in your trunk, and still have room for HANS, helmet and folding chair. I put a cooler and life support stuff in fron seat and a spare F and R tire in back seat in case I catch a nail or something on way there.
This is great. Shamelessly stealing! Thank you!

By any chance do you have it in word format?
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
not sure if you are on facebook or not but join our socal 6th gen group im planning on doing big willow with ongrid 1/17 if your down?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
This is great. Shamelessly stealing! Thank you!

By any chance do you have it in word format?
Send me your email Over PM and I’ll send it to you. Can’t upload word docs on the thread for some reason (or I haven’t figured out how to do so).

Note, word version has some adds/deletes since I reconfigured for trailering. (Mostly just added a trailer section).
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The Hawk pads are super high friction and you'll over slow a ton if you aren't experienced. I suggest sticking with the factory pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
Hi,

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

Old 12-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #14
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Send me your email Over PM and I’ll send it to you. Can’t upload word docs on the thread for some reason (or I haven’t figured out how to do so).

Note, word version has some adds/deletes since I reconfigured for trailering. (Mostly just added a trailer section).
Sent. Thanks so much!