Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 01-18-2021, 08:13 AM   #29
Staves

Drives: women crazy
See more and more here in San Diego too. Nice car. Wouldn’t think of selling my SS for one though. I’m quite happy with mine.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #30
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Our C8 feels nothing like the our 2SS. Love my Camaro but they're 2 different beasts. If I could only have one, there'd be little question. Sorry guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
No Covid 19 here.....it's worse......

In Naples, Florida there are way to many new C8 corvettes running around. That and a LOT of Ferrari's and Porsches, etc....exotics.

Can't afford the Italian etc. exotics....

But I can afford a new C8. One drove by me with the exhaust popping on 41 by Vanderbilt Road.....I think my drool bucket filled up....

I keep telling myself your driving a C6 that turns heads and people constantly comment "nice car".....My Lt1 engine is essentially the same as the engine in the C8. Going to go drive a C8 at a dealer, if I can find one....
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #31
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
OP, while I hear you, I am going to pass on a C8. If I ever give up my 2018 ZL1, it will probably be for a 911.

Why? One reason: manual transmission...

My ZL1 is a toy. As would a C8 or 911 be. I prefer my toy to have an honest to God, manual transmission. Not another computer controlled device.

I get that a DCT can shift faster than I can. And I don't care. I love to row my own gears. So, if Chevy is done with manuals in Corvettes... I will never own one.

Nice looking car though...
Same. There is a huge thread on this on the CorvetteForum. In the end, lots of people just ended up buying buy from someone else, like Porsche.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #32
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
Our C8 feels nothing like the our 2SS. Love my Camaro but they're 2 different beasts. If I could only have one, there'd be little question. Sorry guys.
I have to agree with you on this one, while I really like my Camaro especially for the back seat for my daughter (10 years old) probably not too many years that she will fit back there but never the less she does now the C8 is a much different car. Don't get mw wrong I love my ZLE and hopefully will keep it when I pull the trigger on a C8 but the C8 is a better driver.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #33
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I have to agree with you on this one, while I really like my Camaro especially for the back seat for my daughter (10 years old) probably not too many years that she will fit back there but never the less she does now the C8 is a much different car. Don't get mw wrong I love my ZLE and hopefully will keep it when I pull the trigger on a C8 but the C8 is a better driver.
have you driven one? You think it will be a better "driver"?
I don't believe that. Better performer - sure.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Not clear what you mean by "driver" vs performer.

A "drivers" car would include performance.

But a car that "drives" better might be my Buick....when not in sport mode LOL
Old 01-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #35
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Yes I have driven one, not much wheel time maybe 15 miles but I really liked the way it felt. To me driver and performer would be meaning the same thing, same as driving my Camaro. Fun spirited driving.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #36
bob13bob

Drives: dodge grand caravan, acura rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
i'm skeptical. c7 gets consistently better tracktimes. and reports that the handling on c8 feels bad. https://youtu.be/t3IVYXl7uGM?t=1345
it looks very nice, but a corvette is supposed to to be fast on the track.

the camaro is the best engineered and refined platform of the lot, while it's slower ont he track than c7, it acheives that with 2 rear jumper seats, higher ground clearance. also both the tremec mt and 10s at is better on the camaro than either of the corvettes.

i have high hopes for the c8 after a few years and gm learns how to make rear drive cars. OTOH, battery vehicles will takeover as much better sports cars soon.
bob13bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #37
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Yes I have driven one, not much wheel time maybe 15 miles but I really liked the way it felt. To me driver and performer would be meaning the same thing, same as driving my Camaro. Fun spirited driving.
cool! Rare to find one available for a test drive so nicely done there!

I haven't even driven a C7 yet, but I owned two C6's - both Z51 cars, plus a C5Z06 and the Camaro SS rides and drives better than any of those for example. Surely gives up some grip at the limit, but I find the steering feel is even better which is something considering it's EPS vs. the older vettes are traditional steering. I was never that impressed with C5 or C6 steering feel - it's overboosted to my liking and rather vague compared to other sports cars like 911, Cayman, BMW M coupe / roadster etc. But I was very impressed with the Camaro SS in this regard, even after owning a 911 and all the Corvettes and several BMW's. The best steering feel in a Corvette in addition to best driver seating position and shift quality not to mention brake feel etc. was the C4. But it's got a pretty wobbly chassis compared to C6/7 or Alpha.
The SS shines in brake feel and performance as well - at least in spirited street driving - for track work probably the 1LE and Z51 C8 would be the way to go.

I'd like to drive one at some point so I have my own perspective on the C8 - at this point I am unsure if one will show up in my garage. Maybe at some point.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #38
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
i'm skeptical. c7 gets consistently better tracktimes. and reports that the handling on c8 feels bad. https://youtu.be/t3IVYXl7uGM?t=1345

the camaro is the best engineered and refined platform of the lot, while it's slower ont he track than c7, it acheives that with 2 rear jumper seats, higher ground clearance. also both the tremec mt and 10s at is better on the camaro than either of the corvettes.

i have high hopes for the c8 after a few years and gm learns how to make rear drive cars. OTOH, battery vehicles will takeover as much better sports cars soon.
When you say C8 feels bad, is it with the track alignment? Lots of complaints with C8's understeering is supposedly addressed with that. I have actually heard that this is a thing with MR cars, they are a bit more prone to understeering. Not sure if that's true.

I know that SS 1LE can keep up with a C7 Stingray Z51 on the track. It will lose to the GS, but it's not far behind and arguably a better value.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #39
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
All I can tell you is to get in one and drive one and form your own opinion. I don't have either of mine set for track duty, and if I was going to be buying anything purely based on track time, it probably wouldn't be either of those two.

Quote:

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #40
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:

If you have time, check out some of the videos of Randy Pabst driving a C7 Z06. Then look at the ZL1 video. He is clearly working MUCH harder to drive the C7. Even he admits that the Camaro is way easier to drive at the edge.

I hope the C8 drives better than the C7. I have not driven a C8. And have no current plans to do so.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #41
c4racer

Quote:
I for one do not agree with that statement on so very many levels... GM has been making RWD cars since the 30s....

Old 01-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #42
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If you have time, check out some of the videos of Randy Pabst driving a C7 Z06. Then look at the ZL1 video. He is clearly working MUCH harder to drive the C7. Even he admits that the Camaro is way easier to drive at the edge.

I hope the C8 drives better than the C7. I have not driven a C8. And have no current plans to do so.
Which is why Randy bought one with his own money, a 1LE that is - not a C7.