Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
SS Executioner

Drives: 2021 SS Camaro
Aftermarket Audio upgrade

New to the Camaro Forums and Camaros, Ive been looking at the forums and trying to figure out if there is a harness for the 2021 1SS system to add an amp to the system as im planning to do a complete system with speakers amp and sub in the near future. I have no factory amp in the trunk and understand that the factory system is under the dash. My question is, is there a harness that would work or will something like the Axxess AXDSPX-GM31 would work. Thanks for any feedback regarding this.
SS Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Do you have the 1LE option? It eliminates the amp in the trunk altogether. Otherwise, I thought "regular" 1SS Camaros have an amp in the trunk. Although it's different than the Bose system's amp, it's in the same location, and sitting on top of the MRC module if your car came with MRC shocks. If you don't have any amp in the trunk at all, then your speakers are powered by a small amp inside the Radio Module, which is behind your dash to the right of the glove box. Last I looked, there is no interface from Axxess or NavTV or anyone else to pull the digital signal. You can cut into the speaker wires going to the front speakers (either door or dash get full signal range, but the rears don't).

I didn't want to cut into the wires if I could avoid it, so I asked Gen5DIY to build breakout harness. You can plug this into the Radio Module, and then the regular harness into it, and in between you can cut the speaker wires and send them to the speaker-level inputs of an amp or DSP unit. I wrote up a thread on my install. Note that I am not using the rear side-panel speakers at all. I would suggest the same for you. Replace the front four speakers with good-quality components and power them with one amp (passively or actively crossed over). Then if you also want a sub you can Y off the front signals at the breakout harness and send that signal to a separate amp for the sub(s).
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
TruFan1LE

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Do you have the 1LE option? It eliminates the amp in the trunk altogether. Otherwise, I thought "regular" 1SS Camaros have an amp in the trunk. Although it's different than the Bose system's amp, it's in the same location, and sitting on top of the MRC module if your car came with MRC shocks. If you don't have any amp in the trunk at all, then your speakers are powered by a small amp inside the Radio Module, which is behind your dash to the right of the glove box. Last I looked, there is no interface from Axxess or NavTV or anyone else to pull the digital signal. You can cut into the speaker wires going to the front speakers (either door or dash get full signal range, but the rears don't).

I didn't want to cut into the wires if I could avoid it, so I asked Gen5DIY to build breakout harness. You can plug this into the Radio Module, and then the regular harness into it, and in between you can cut the speaker wires and send them to the speaker-level inputs of an amp or DSP unit. I wrote up a thread on my install. Note that I am not using the rear side-panel speakers at all. I would suggest the same for you. Replace the front four speakers with good-quality components and power them with one amp (passively or actively crossed over). Then if you also want a sub you can Y off the front signals at the breakout harness and send that signal to a separate amp for the sub(s).
Is there any way I can get one of those harnesses by chance
TruFan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Executioner View Post
New to the Camaro Forums and Camaros, Ive been looking at the forums and trying to figure out if there is a harness for the 2021 1SS system to add an amp to the system as im planning to do a complete system with speakers amp and sub in the near future. I have no factory amp in the trunk and understand that the factory system is under the dash. My question is, is there a harness that would work or will something like the Axxess AXDSPX-GM31 would work. Thanks for any feedback regarding this.
Can you take a pic of what you have under the cover in the trunk?
Mine looked like this:
Attached Images

2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruFan1LE View Post
Is there any way I can get one of those harnesses by chance
I'm sure Gen5DIY will make one for you. I meant to add that GM changed the entire communication protocol for the Camaro starting in 2019, which means that the harness plugs are completely different. So any solutions on the market for 16-18 cars won't work for ours. That's why I asked them to make me a breakout harness. They have some other breakout harnesses on their site, but they aren't listing the one for our cars. But regardless, they made it for me. Just tell them you want one for a 2021 Camaro, like the one they made for Matt Miller (they'll have to search their emails!).

Also, do refer to SWRocket's post and make sure you don't have an amp in your trunk! Because if you do, that changes your options quite a bit.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
TruFan1LE

I have a 1SS 1LE. The trunk looks the same minus the amp. That was the first thing I looked at when I got the car home. I was hoping the 2021 1LE's had an update to the factory radio that no one talked about(wishful thinking). Mine is no different than any other 1SS 1LE. This car is exactly what I wanted but the factory sound system sucks bad. I plan to replace the front stage add amps and a sub or 2. Not worried about the rear speakers. Thank for the help.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruFan1LE View Post
I have a 1SS 1LE. The trunk looks the same minus the amp. That was the first thing I looked at when I got the car home. I was hoping the 2021 1LE's had an update to the factory radio that no one talked about(wishful thinking). Mine is no different than any other 1SS 1LE. This car is exactly what I wanted but the factory sound system sucks bad. I plan to replace the front stage add amps and a sub or 2. Not worried about the rear speakers. Thank for the help.
Okay, then, no amp if it's a 1LE. So I did what you want to do except I didn't add a sub. I will say that although my amp (Kicker KEY180.4) is quite modest, the included DSP with equalization makes a big difference. I also became a believer in active crossovers with that amp. Because I wanted cheap and light, I didn't investigate bigger and fancier amp/DSP options. I put a lot bigger chunk of the budget into the replacement speakers.

If I were going to add subs, I'd look at fitting a couple 8" units in the rear-deck 6x9 locations (basically an infinite baffle, free-air setup). The Audiofrog option to match my other speakers would be the GS8ND2. I don't know if a 10" sub could realistically be fitted under the deck. I suspect if you want louder/deeper than 8" subs you will need an enclosure and different location.

Keep us updated on what you do!

PS - In this thread they discuss 8" and maybe 10" subs in a rear-deck, IB setup: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10408529.

PPS - If I were doing any kind of sub, I would probably use a 6" woofer for the door instead of the 6x9 that I used.

Last edited by Msquared; 01-14-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #8
TruFan1LE

I plan to go with a 6.5 component set for the front and I was leaning towards 8" subs. I ran a pair of Digital Design 8's in my truck and they were insane considering their size but I wanted more so I replaced them with 10's and now the truck is stoopid loud(wired at .5 ohm). Majority of the audio shops here push Focal. I want something different but I have not figured out what brand yet. The one shop that has Audiofrog seems kinda flakey. The one shop that I dealt with closed and now I have to find a new place that I feel comfortable enough to let them touch my car as I don't have the time or patience for this anymore(sounds crazy right). I will start a new thread when I figure out the direction I want to go. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #9
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Here is what I am doing. 1SS 2016 so mine has that amp.
******** harness pulls out the F and R speaker wires.
Using line level from the front only into a 4 ch amp set up in 3 ch mode.
Sending two front speaker wires back into the factory harness.
Replaced door 6x9 with Infiniti ref series 6x9
Replacing dash side speakers with Infiniti tweeters with a crossover.
Will unplug center dash speaker.
Mono into sub - have a kicker 10” box on order.

So far I have the amp and door 6x9s installed and running an old kicker bazooka type sub I had lying around for now. Running fronts at about 1/3 gain and plenty loud.
Sounds good but factory tweeters can’t handle the power. Amp is 60W / ch so not huge but even so. No reason for that center dash speaker I can think of at least not for music or a good sound stage. Factory dash tweeter location seems pretty good the speakers just can’t handle much power.

Will report back when I get the Infiniti tweeters in and center speaker unplugged.
Time to pull the dash cover and side pillars apart.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 AM   #10
c4racer

I stand corrected. No center speaker in the 1SS vert. I could have sworn there was one the way the stock stereo was imaged.

I ended up throwing in my focal PS165 that I had for another car but never used.
6.5 in the door and tweeters in the dash location.
Each speaker has a crossover so I just used the stock wiring.
Powering with a 60W/ch amp

Quick test drive with the new set-up and it sounds really good. Love the focal speakers - lots of warm mid range and details coming out. They seem to run perfectly with 60W. I need to add some DynaMat to the doors - got some rattle while blasting a Tool song - probably a good test for it. Upper bass for drums tom hits is also fantastic btw.

I set the crossover in the middle and kept it at 0db cut since this is in a vert and since I have the top open most of the time I figure I need as much SQL as I can get.

Bass isn't very good, but I'm just running a cheap old kicker tube that I had laying around since the box I ordered has been on back-order for almost 2 months. Hoping it ships soon - although it's winter so I'm honestly not driving the car anyway.

Last edited by c4racer; 01-26-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
1LETrinity

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
If you are doing a new amp you can just tap off the existing speaker lines from front and rear to an amplifier with a high input option. Otherwise if your amp doesn't have this available you can just a use a line output converter. Just did a JBL 5 channel for my rear speakers added 6*9s to the rear deck in addition to replacing the 6.5"s in the rear side panels. Worked like a charm.
Attached Images

1LETrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 AM   #12
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Looks awesome!
Which Subwoofer enclosure is that? I thought only JL Audio made a stealth enclosure for our cars...
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
c4racer

looks custom built
Old 03-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
1LETrinity

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks SwRocket, I custom built one for mine as I couldn't stomach $1200 for the JL. And maybe it's just me but I prefer a system with all components from one manufacturer.
1LETrinity is offline   Reply With Quote