Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #15
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
There is nothing comes remotely close to the performance per dollar of the camaro and corvette. Like it’s been charted in lap times for the dollar and they are off on their own planet.

That being said, if you were going to buy an ss 1le and a gt4, and it was only your weekend car and you drove it minimally, and then you sold it 4 years later, your out of pocket expense would probably be similar.
This is my future dilemma.

I am 1-2 years away from seriously replacing the SS 1LE, but the short list is C8 Z06 or PDK GT4

Obviously the C8 Z06 will be in another league performance wise, but it isn't out yet and GM needs to absolutely nail it in all areas for me to consider it. I have had too many QC issues with all of my previous Corvette's.

I am quite happen with the SS 1LE from a performance stance, so to be able to have that level of performance, both in a straight line and in the corners from a mid-engine, light weight, PDK Porsche is very tempting, plus you get the quality and service of Porsche.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #16
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I will trade my SLE for a GT4. PM me!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I recently spent a weekend riding and driving in a new GT4 up in the mountains of NC. After a 700 mile trip, I can say (thankfully) that the ride is nothing like a ZLE. It was still in break-in mode, so I didn’t really get to play with the good part of the power band. As such, I was really missing the torque of my ZLE. The 414 horses in the GT4 don’t want to come out and play at low speeds. When it comes to handling, the GT4 carves through corners with a very natural feel, where the ZLE pounds the corners into submission. As we were driving the Cherahola Skyway I found myself wishing I had the ZLE there for comparison, but I would not have enjoyed getting there on some of the secondary roads we took.

I could easily live with the GT4 as a daily driver, although both cars are compromised when it comes to usable cargo capacity. The price is what it is. In the Porsche’s favor is resale value. 2016 GT4s that sold new for $90-110K are still going for $80-95K, which makes no sense to me given the availability of the 718 version, which is a better car. What are the chances I will be able to sell my ZLE for 85% of MSRP in four years? I probably can’t even do that now.
Definitely different driving styles required.

The Camaro, especially in ZLE form, is a chug along in the 2-4K range. In a GT4, you have to enjoy and be ok with living in the upper end of the RPM range. To me, I love it, especially with a motor and exhaust that sounds as good as the Porsche. I had an E90 M3 many many years ago and that thing was so satisfying to whine out.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #18
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
There is nothing comes remotely close to the performance per dollar of the camaro and corvette. Like it’s been charted in lap times for the dollar and they are off on their own planet.

That being said, if you were going to buy an ss 1le and a gt4, and it was only your weekend car and you drove it minimally, and then you sold it 4 years later, your out of pocket expense would probably be similar.
Couldn't agree with you more.

And you're right, if you can afford the initial buy in price your cost of ownership in the end will be about the same of you get rid of the P car after a few years.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #19
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
This is my future dilemma.

I am 1-2 years away from seriously replacing the SS 1LE, but the short list is C8 Z06 or PDK GT4

Obviously the C8 Z06 will be in another league performance wise, but it isn't out yet and GM needs to absolutely nail it in all areas for me to consider it. I have had too many QC issues with all of my previous Corvette's.

I am quite happen with the SS 1LE from a performance stance, so to be able to have that level of performance, both in a straight line and in the corners from a mid-engine, light weight, PDK Porsche is very tempting, plus you get the quality and service of Porsche.
I drove the boxster spyder a few times.

The z06 will cost way more in terms of depreciation.

I put boatloads of weight on being fun to drive and less on sheer capability than probably most, especially on a camaro forum. The boxster spyder is indeed driving nirvana.

But, a c8 z06, which will surely be the fastest car under half a million bucks, and it’s mid engined........ yeah I’ll take a z06.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #20
DaveC113

Quote:
I drove the boxster spyder a few times.

The z06 will cost way more in terms of depreciation.

I put boatloads of weight on being fun to drive and less on sheer capability than probably most, especially on a camaro forum. The boxster spyder is indeed driving nirvana.

But, a c8 z06, which will surely be the fastest car under half a million bucks, and it’s mid engined........ yeah I’ll take a z06.
Agreed, I just want something that's the whole package and is fun to drive. I'd take a GT4 over any Camaro but probably a Z06 over a GT4, the Z06 is going to be more in the GT2/GT3 RS league, and probably faster than both.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #21
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I'm surprised at the fair treatment the GT4 is getting. It is a nice ride.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Not sure how a RAV4 even comes close the the 718 GT4 in cost. That car is over $100,000 with options. I too am not into a car with a high strung power band. 25 years ago, yes. There is nothing like having low end torque and mid range for a daily driver. Sex appeal is another thing. The GT4 has that in spades. If I could afford 100k, there are so many choices, it would probably take me 6 months of test drives and research to decide. My choice would have to be daily driveable because that's what I do.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #23
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Not sure how a RAV4 even comes close the the 718 GT4 in cost. That car is over $100,000 with options. I too am not into a car with a high strung power band. 25 years ago, yes. There is nothing like having low end torque and mid range for a daily driver. Sex appeal is another thing. The GT4 has that in spades. If I could afford 100k, there are so many choices, it would probably take me 6 months of test drives and research to decide. My choice would have to be daily driveable because that's what I do.
If I could end up affording a GT4 I'd just keep the Camaro. It's so good on the highway and for me is actually very practical as it does a great job carrying my mt bikes.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #24
GuywithL86

Quote:
Because a $35k rav4 will depreciate $15k in 4 years, about what a gt4 will do as well. Keep in mind I said with minimal mileage.

You should never have a purchase price budget, have a cost of ownership budget.

Asset cost - asset value - maintenance - repairs - insurance = ownership cost

Compare the gt4 to other $100k vehicles, and it’s not even close.

Next time you see a new mercedes s-class. Don’t think damn that a $100k car, what a baller. Think, damn that’s $15k a year in depreciation, what a baller.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #25
TRZ06

Quote:
Because a $35k rav4 will depreciate $15k in 4 years, about what a gt4 will do as well. Keep in mind I said with minimal mileage.

You should never have a purchase price budget, have a cost of ownership budget.

Asset cost - asset value - maintenance - repairs - insurance = ownership cost

Compare the gt4 to other $100k vehicles, and it’s not even close.

Next time you see a new mercedes s-class. Don’t think damn that a $100k car, what a baller. Think, damn that’s $15k a year in depreciation, what a baller.
There is no question that sports car ownership is not great from a wealth collection POV.

Hell, even a SS 1LE is expensive on a monthly basis after you factor in Insurance, gas, tires, brakes, maintenance, etc.

However to only collect money and never spend is retarded. What is the point of it, except for future generations.

You always have to strike a balance between investing and spending. Enjoying life is what is life about.

I understand that some of the millionaires out there brag about how much wealth they have obtained and how frugal they are, but who cares unless you enjoy the fruits of labor unless your joy in life is just collecting money.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #26
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Well, you could buy a Jaguar F Type SVR for about $125k new and trade it a year later for about $80k. I believe you should buy what you love. I've been in the car business since 1995. If you only buy the ones that depreciate the least, it will be a small list to chose from. If you trade often, you would need to stick to those vehicles.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #27
GuywithL86

Quote:
Well, you could buy a Jaguar F Type SVR for about $125k new and trade it a year later for about $80k. I believe you should buy what you love. I've been in the car business since 1995. If you only buy the ones that depreciate the least, it will be a small list to chose from. If you trade often, you would need to stick to those vehicles.
I’m not sure you understand what I’m suggesting.

I’m not saying only buy the cars that depreciate the least.

I’m saying buy the car you love based on how much it cost to own and not what it costs to buy.

None of you can tell me if you had all the money in the world the camaro would be your first choice. It’s the car you love the most for the amount of money you were willing to spend. There is nobody here who would take a camaro over a zr1 vette if they cost the same amount of money.

It’s all about how much you love it vs how much it costs. All I’m trying to say is, know what it really cost when you factor that in.

Also I love the mclaren 720s, and I could buy one no problem. And then I couldn’t buy anything else. Just buying what you love and nothing else matters is an absurd statement by itself. It’s buy what you love in relation to what you can afford.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #28
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I spent most of my money on beautiful women, fast cars and booze... the rest I just wasted.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote