Dexron - lol, even my dealer laughed, they know it's a scam
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #58
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Dexron - lol, even my dealer laughed, they know it's a scam
Alright, so what standards do you propose we go off of?

Dexron is still a better standard than your anecdotal experience, especially on a fluid that not a lot of people heard about before.

You don't even have a manual Camaro that you can experiment the fluid on. How do you know it will work well in this specific application?

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #59
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I noticed the viscosity difference as well. If indeed there is an "optimal" range of viscosity at which the transmission shifts smoothly (or as smooth as it is able) that might explain why when it's cold, the thinner fluids (ATFs) provide smoother shifting, but don't do as well as higher temps like that seen on the track.

It also would explain why M3Bs and MartinLE report the Tremec brand fluid being at least as notchy and clunky in the cold (greater viscosity than the ATFs and OEM) vs OEM, but better on the the Track.

I'm not a fan of the notchy/clunky/grinding when I first start driving in the cold, and would prefer a fluid that smooths that out. However, in my car it seems to improve greatly after the trans starts to warm up (5 mins or less of driving). So I guess if I could have a fluid that shifts well on the track and is no worse in the cold than OEM, that's what would be best for me.

Does Tremec fluid fit this description? It would be great to hear from some more users of the Tremec brand fluid.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:47 PM   #60
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Alright, so what standards do you propose we go off of?
It's simple, although many like to try to make it complicated to sell more x branded oil: buy the most cost effective synthetic available in the proper grade, that's it. How do you determine the "best"? Standardized wear tests combined with used oil analysis. All modern major brand synthetics will pass GM standards with flying colors, but some don't want to pay up for the certification/label. Castrol Edge (engine oil) is a perfect example - it's better than M1 (and cheaper) based on any standardized testing or UOA. I've followed oil threads for almost 25 years and there will always be brand/cert huggers so I know this is a waste of time, but that's the reality
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #61
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Tremec fluid in a Tremec tranny. I switched after talking to a Tremec rep.

It’s kinda scarce lately, but keep an eye on the website.

https://www.tremec-store.com/collect...smission-fluid
The Tremec fluid appears to be in stock here...

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...xoCu34QAvD_BwE
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #62
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
It's simple, although many like to try to make it complicated to sell more x branded oil: buy the most cost effective synthetic available in the proper grade, that's it. How do you determine the "best"? Standardized wear tests combined with used oil analysis. All modern major brand synthetics will pass GM standards with flying colors, but some don't want to pay up for the certification/label. Castrol Edge (engine oil) is a perfect example - it's better than M1 (and cheaper) based on any standardized testing or UOA. I've followed oil threads for almost 25 years and there will always be brand/cert huggers so I know this is a waste of time, but that's the reality
Here's the rub, though...

When an oil bears a certification label from a manufacturer, that is telling the consumer "if you use this product and there's a problem, the MANUFACTURER will stand behind you." So, when a mechanical item (motor, transmission, differential, etc.) breaks and you have been using a certified lubricant, it's GM that steps up and repairs it at their expense.

Where do they get the money to cover that repair? Yep... from the fees that the lubricant companies paid to get their product on the list of authorized products.

Will oils without the certification label pass the tests? Absolutely. But, what happens if you're using that oil and you have a breakdown? Who pays for the repair?

We live in a world where everything is a legal battle and you have to "prove it" before your problems are solved. So, the path of least resistance is to use the certified oil even though it costs more. And in the grand scheme, an extra $50-$100 per year for fluid changes with the certified oils compared to the cost of a $30k+ vehicle is considered "cheap insurance."
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #63
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Amsoil Torque Drive
Old 01-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #64
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I just ordered RP on Amazon today, have been wanting to do the fluid change for a while now.Also bought the red thread seal as Im going to change it through the sensor instead of making a mess. Any thoughts on doing it this way?
I plan to do it this way next time. I used the drain plug the first time and it's a huge mess.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #65
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
I am not trying to be a smartass, but how can using a big oil catch pan result in a huge mess?
Center pan under drain plug - loosen drain plug - use fingers to remove drain plug and let fall into drain pan - allow to completely drain - reinsert drain plug - tighten drain plug. Done, no fuss no muss.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #66
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I am not trying to be a smartass, but how can using a big oil catch pan result in a huge mess?
Center pan under drain plug - loosen drain plug - use fingers to remove drain plug and let fall into drain pan - allow to completely drain - reinsert drain plug - tighten drain plug. Done, no fuss no muss.
transmission support cross member right in the way it splatters on it go look at where the drain plug vs the temp sensor drain from
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #67
MartinLe

I have a 17 M6 and there is nothing within a country mile of my drain plug.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #68
ZLE dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I have a 17 M6 and there is nothing within a country mile from my drain plug.
Well I can assure you that on my 2018 ZLE there is a large transmission crossover mount directly underneath the drain plug and it makes a huge mess. Not only that, but it pours into the top of the crossmember which is like an aluminum spider web full of wholes and spots for fluid to sit. It's a total mess.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
Old 01-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #69
ZLE dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
transmission support cross member right in the way it splatters on it go look at where the drain plug vs the temp sensor drain from
This guy knows what I'm talking about...Big 'ol mess.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #70
MartinLe

This is definitely weird! There is not a support member under my drain plug. It sits quite a ways back of the drain plug.

Could there be a subtle change between 2017 and 2018 with respect to the support member location?