Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Question Pennsylvania Turnpike

Hello All. I'm going to be driving to the US Open in a couple of weeks. First stop will be a little south of Pittsburgh so will be mostly on the PA Turnpike. I haven't driven on the turnpike in 15 years. Any tips you all can give will be greatly appreciated. Stuff like penalties for speeding, condition of road, bottleneck spots, etc. Anything that will make my drive/life easier.
Thanks
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
EricTheCamaroGuy

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I have never used it, so I do not know. There might be toll booths everywhere you go on it
EricTheCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
If you don't have Waze get the app it works really good for cops and hazards on the road.
They did just increase the speed limit to 70MPH in some areas. I would also get easy pass if you don't have one.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
https://youtu.be/hBER4EIT8L0
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
If you don't have Waze get the app it works really good for cops and hazards on the road.
They did just increase the speed limit to 70MPH in some areas. I would also get easy pass if you don't have one.
Now that is useful information. I have EZ pass but did not know that it would work on the turnpike. Looking into WAZE.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheCamaroGuy View Post
I have never used it, so I do not know. There might be toll booths everywhere you go on it
That helps a lot.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
10redrocket

Drives: 2SS Camaro LS3
There are toll booths only when you get on or off.
As far as speed, to be safe about 5mph over limit is acceptable.
Cops generally sit in the maintenance access roads 90% of the time, especially going over the Appalachian mountains.
Occasionally they sit on the back side of overpasses.
On rare occasions they'll sit just over a hill if the shoulder is safe.

Best drive time is early morning, say sunrise. Sunday's are also good if not a holiday weekend. I avoid driving at night as you cannot see the cops till its to late.

If there is no shoulder or it is narrow, you can go as fast as traffic will allow as it is not safe for the cops to pull you over there. Hence, no cops.

There are long straights after you get over the mountains that allow you to see ahead a good ways. Again, as fast as traffic allows.

I drive the pike several times a month so I know where the cops sit. I make very good time as 25 mph over is very doable.

Around Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philadelphia at rush hour should be avoided.
Good luck.

Past Rides: 69 Camaro RS Small Block
67 Chevelle SS Big Block
05 Cobalt SS Supercharged
07 Cobalt SS Supercharged
10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Soon: 18 Camaro 2SS 1LE
10redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10redrocket View Post
There are toll booths only when you get on or off.
As far as speed, to be safe about 5mph over limit is acceptable.
Cops generally sit in the maintenance access roads 90% of the time, especially going over the Appalachian mountains.
Occasionally they sit on the back side of overpasses.
On rare occasions they'll sit just over a hill if the shoulder is safe.

Best drive time is early morning, say sunrise. Sunday's are also good if not a holiday weekend. I avoid driving at night as you cannot see the cops till its to late.

If there is no shoulder or it is narrow, you can go as fast as traffic will allow as it is not safe for the cops to pull you over there. Hence, no cops.

There are long straights after you get over the mountains that allow you to see ahead a good ways. Again, as fast as traffic allows.

I drive the pike several times a month so I know where the cops sit. I make very good time as 25 mph over is very doable.

Around Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philadelphia at rush hour should be avoided.
Good luck.
Lots more useful info.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
I drive from MI to PA often. There are always cops near breezewood if going west bound. Other than that I usually do between 90-100 and don't have a problem knock on wood
Old 06-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
I drive from MI to PA often. There are always cops near breezewood if going west bound. Other than that I usually do between 90-100 and don't have a problem knock on wood
Thanks. I have a radar detector. Do they use regular K and Ka or is laser involved?

On an aside - I got stopped today for making an illegal U turn. I actually didn't see the sign but I owned up to it and got a warning ticket. Then we had a nice conversation about my car.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I've driven the turnpike from beginning to end, primarily from Harrisburg area to the eastern part of the state, but I make my way out towards the west end on occasion as well. Here's what I would recommend:

1) Download Waze. VERY useful app and while you have to be the first one to report the police sometimes, it also will route you around traffic, show you closed roads, etc.

2) MPH allocations, 55->70, 65->77, 70->80-82. The police officers don't really get onto you at those speeds unless you're driving like an a$$ or are really tailgating.

3) EZPass will make life very easy and you only go through a gate when you get on the turnpike and when you get off the turnpike.

Good luck at the US Open and drive safe!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I've driven the turnpike from beginning to end, primarily from Harrisburg area to the eastern part of the state, but I make my way out towards the west end on occasion as well. Here's what I would recommend:

1) Download Waze. VERY useful app and while you have to be the first one to report the police sometimes, it also will route you around traffic, show you closed roads, etc.

2) MPH allocations, 55->70, 65->77, 70->80-82. The police officers don't really get onto you at those speeds unless you're driving like an a$$ or are really tailgating.

3) EZPass will make life very easy and you only go through a gate when you get on the turnpike and when you get off the turnpike.

Good luck at the US Open and drive safe!

Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Best advice I can give you is take the scenic route. I avoid the turnpike at all cost.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #14
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Best advice I can give you is take the scenic route. I avoid the turnpike at all cost.
I usually do that and still might if time allows. I avoid the highways around here (695) (495) (95). 70 is the only interstate I don't try to avoid.