Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
my 2016 v6 is every bit as fun as my 2001 V8 Z28 was speed and power wise plus i can easily get 35+ mpg cruising on the highway if i want or 5-5.5 second 0-60 times which is far faster than all the lemmings drive on the road.

if you need the biggest hp-peen then yea, you got the wrong engine. But the days of needing a V8 to have any kind of power in a car are long gone. These aren't mid 100-200 hp engines like in the 90's and older.

like it or not, the camaro (and the mustang recently) are sports cars. They're not muscle cars because muscle cars are only good at doing one thing, putting down a lot of power and not usually making much good use out of it unless it's in a straight line. The camaro is a sports car because it handles extremely well and is powerful (until you start modifying it beyond zl1 - and the tires/brakes can no longer manage the power). It's just a bit on the bulky side for a sports car. If you want a muscle car get a challenger. They're heavy as hell and handles like garbage but looks good doing it just like a muscle car should.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
3.6 is a *very* good motor. You should enjoy the things that your engine does so well! The fact that your car can beat most older muscle cars while running regular gas @ 35 MPG on the freeway is pretty bitchin!
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #17
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Just be aware that these mods WILL void your warranty...
Maybe, but that depends on the dealership. I had a major recall on the rack and pinion and oil pump replacement due to a TSB that racked up about $4000 worth of warranty parts and labor. The dealership I took mine to GLADLY accepted my car with all my intake and exhaust mods. Service advisor said he personally pocketed $1000 in commission from all that! But honestly a new muffler and air filter don't have anything to do with those problems.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #18
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
RyanR623 - I think you just nailed the epitome of being a car guy, or boat guy, or just a guy who can't have anything stock. That's awesome my friend, good call. Lol
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...

Last edited by NowaChevyGuy; 06-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
yes. you got the wrong engine.
Yep, take that 10k hit and get the SS or a ZL1.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #20
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
As a boater, we live by a saying. Find the boat you want, then go buy one 3 foot bigger. You'll always be boating and be thinking, man if i just had a bit more space on here.

There is one caveat to that. Money. You can only buy what you can afford BUT always be wanting more.

If you buy the I4, you'll want the v6, if you buy the v6, you'll want the v8, if you buy the v8, you'll want the ZL1, buy the ZL1 you'll want the Z06.... etc etc

My SS is silly fast but i want the ZL1. Just can't afford it.

Moral of the story matter what you have you'll always be wanting more so just enjoy the car
You sir are a true hero. Spoken with words, thank you. Plus realizing this the car takes care of me, gets me to where I have to go, and I do have fun with it on the road alot. I spent a good 15min installing sidemarkers because I love my car. I just hear nonsense about how V8 camaroboys are always better than V6 boys, heck I hear it in the parking lot. Buying a sports car opened my eyes to the public hearing things like "should have bought a V8" where all I can say is "Could only afford a V6 but happy to buy my dream car" or "Mustangs are better than camaros." I'm not a ford guy at all CX

What I've noticed is some cars pull up to my side bumping their pedals to try and race and while I want to, I cant due to it being late at night and idk what cops can lurk around. I've had Hyundai genesis, bmw roadsters, and other vehicles wanting to race, I deny cause why? Lol. I wanna race but I dont wanna be a show off unless I have to like cutting me off or something.

Do I enjoy my car? I truly do, I just always see/hear how 2.0T and 6.2L engines have more potential than 3.6L engines.
Attached Images

SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #21
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
You sir are a true hero. Spoken with words, thank you. Plus realizing this the car takes care of me, gets me to where I have to go, and I do have fun with it on the road alot. I spent a good 15min installing sidemarkers because I love my car. I just hear nonsense about how V8 camaroboys are always better than V6 boys, heck I hear it in the parking lot. Buying a sports car opened my eyes to the public hearing things like "should have bought a V8" where all I can say is "Could only afford a V6 but happy to buy my dream car" or "Mustangs are better than camaros." I'm not a ford guy at all CX

What I've noticed is some cars pull up to my side bumping their pedals to try and race and while I want to, I cant due to it being late at night and idk what cops can lurk around. I've had Hyundai genesis, bmw roadsters, and other vehicles wanting to race, I deny cause why? Lol. I wanna race but I dont wanna be a show off unless I have to like cutting me off or something.

Do I enjoy my car? I truly do, I just always see/hear how 2.0T and 6.2L engines have more potential than 3.6L engines.
LOL no hero, just someone who has been through the same thoughts as you had a bunch of times with various cars, boats and play things, before my thick head realized what i wrote above.

I hear you about racing, not worth it. Years ago i had a supra turbo that was modded quite a bit. I had a 4 cylinder probe come up next to me that wanted to race (fast and furious era where everyone thought their car was lightning fast because they took the muffler off). Only problem was there was a truck in front of me, so i floored it and got into the next lane behind the probe, but didn't see my buddy (also had a supra) coming up fast in that lane to race the stupid probe and he hit me. To make matters worse there was a cop at the intersection ahead of us. The probe got off scot free and both me and my buddy got ticketed for drag racing, 6 points on our license, $500 fine and our insurance went WAY up.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #22
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
So recently I bought the V6 LGX engine. I have fun, snags 20CTY and 30HWY. The ho hum sounds are impressive and its quick, it's also a step up from 4 cylinder engine cars I've drove in the past. Only small problem I see if everyone getting better performance and torque in Turbo 4 and 8 cylinder camaros. High end torque, plenty of horsepower, friendly mods, and more potential out of their engines. Maybe it's me because it's still 2020, which is the year of my car. The camaro I4 can run circles around V6 camaros with the right mods. Torque is more useful than horsepower (from what I was told) maybe in the future I can twin turbocharge my V6 but that's more money out of pocket than a supercharger for a car I'm not going to be doing any kind of drag racing with, maybe just a badass daily or if someone tries to show off I can leave them in the dust and at that point.

Did I get the wrong engine? Or am I just overthinking it?
As someone who went what you are going you, you did, mind you, the LGX is an AMAZING engine for a STOCK city car, 7000 rpm, sounds decent, with 335 hp you are more than likely to be the fastest car on the road in any given moment...

However, it looks like you have the mod itch, and you are 100% correct, aftermarket for the LGX is non existent, so far there's Edelbrock, Overkill if you can get a response from Will, and I think Procharger? But that was made pretty much to fill a market gap since I haven't seen more than a handful of reviews/discussions of these superchargers.

If you want performance on a budget, the 4Cyl 1LE is the best you can get in the segment, heck, Randy Pobst got one and that man has driven the best cars in the world and he could def afford the SS 1LE which he absolutely adores.

But from reading that you will be doing city driving, you are perfectly fine as you only really the lack of torque when you drive anything else, which you won't be doing often I presume, my only tips would be to get the cradle lockouts, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, and a Borla Attak exhaust, you'll be about $2500, you won't really get more out of the engine but you will get the best out of the car with those mods, trust me, I already went through it.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #23
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
When I bought my 2018 RS w/LGX, I ran the numbers for the SS: 40% higher operating costs (20% fewer mpg, 20% higher fuel cost for required premium gas). That, and $10K more for 1 second less 0-60 is simply not worth it. Plus there's very little difference in cornering between the two because the RS is almost 300 lbs lighter than the SS.

My car has only 4 options: RS package, sunroof, block heater, and auto trans.

I used the money I saved for mods, last one installed yesterday was a Borla Atak axle-back that sounds amazing. Before that, a dash kit, footwell LED lighting, tinted windows, front side markers and taillights, engine dress up, K&N air filter, and a couple of extra emblems on the back bumper.

I love driving my RS, and am very happy with the balance between performance and cost.

Last edited by digitalfutur; 06-04-2020 at 11:55 PM.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #24
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
When I bought my 2018 RS w/LGX, I ran the numbers for the SS: 40% higher operating costs (20% fewer mpg, 20% higher fuel cost for required premium gas). That, and $10K more for 1 second less 0-60 is simply not worth it. Plus there's very little difference in cornering between the two because the RS is almost 300 lbs lighter than the SS.

My car has only 4 options: RS package, sunroof, block heater, and auto trans.

I used the money I saved for mods, last one installed yesterday was a Borla Atak axle-back that sounds amazing. Before that, a dash kit, footwell LED lighting, tinted windows, front side markers and taillights, engine dress up, K&N air filter, and a couple of extra emblems on the back bumper.

I love driving my RS, and am very happy with the balance between performance and cost.
What? No, difference is night and day, FE2 suspension is absolute trash and is only good for highway driving, standard run flats are expensive and pretty bad in the wet as they hydroplane a lot and have awful grip, and the auto trans is absolute garbage for spirited driving plus the shudder yuck.

As for the numbers, I never got anything better than 5.7s 0-60 on 285 PS4S, with my 1LE I got a 4.5 without even trying, and the V8 has twice the torque from 0 RPM and it's not even comparable, MPGs? I was getting 16 mpg on my modded V6 Auto, now I'm getting 15 on my Manual V8, play all you want with numbers, they don't really matter in the real world.

If you really want a nice driving non V8 Camaro, either get the 1LE or get a non-RS (manual) as both come with the FE3 suspension.

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #25
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
What? No, difference is night and day, FE2 suspension is absolute trash and is only good for highway driving, standard run flats are expensive and pretty bad in the wet as they hydroplane a lot and have awful grip, and the auto trans is absolute garbage for spirited driving plus the shudder yuck.

As for the numbers, I never got anything better than 5.7s 0-60 on 285 PS4S, with my 1LE I got a 4.5 without even trying, and the V8 has twice the torque from 0 RPM and it's not even comparable, MPGs? I was getting 16 mpg on my modded V6 Auto, now I'm getting 15 on my Manual V8, play all you want with numbers, they don't really matter in the real world.

If you really want a nice driving non V8 Camaro, either get the 1LE or get a non-RS (manual) as both come with the FE3 suspension.
If someone never participates in motorsport, I doubt they'd be able to tell. Run-flat tires are always not as good as non-run-flat. Glad my SS 1LE doesn't come with run-flat.

IIRC the V6 AT doesn't come with an LSD, right? That would probably hurt the acceleration time. As for gas mileage, dude mentioned that you have to account for the price difference between 87 and 93. I can't imagine too much of a difference between V6 and V8 in terms of real-life city MPG numbers since V6 has to rev higher to get going while you can lazily tug along the V8 because it's so torquey. But then again, your right foot is the deciding factor here.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
If someone never participates in motorsport, I doubt they'd be able to tell. Run-flat tires are always not as good as non-run-flat. Glad my SS 1LE doesn't come with run-flat.

IIRC the V6 AT doesn't come with an LSD, right? That would probably hurt the acceleration time. As for gas mileage, dude mentioned that you have to account for the price difference between 87 and 93. I can't imagine too much of a difference between V6 and V8 in terms of real-life city MPG numbers since V6 has to rev higher to get going while you can lazily tug along the V8 because it's so torquey. But then again, your right foot is the deciding factor here.
Yeah no LSD on autos, I had to swap an LSD from an SS that had the same gear ratios at 2.77, one hell of an improvement for sure.

The run-flats lose grip very easily during turns, and they hydroplane on rain, plus they are shipped to order (no physical stock) and they're like $350 a piece for a 245, yeah no thanks, first experience with a rwd car and I could tell how bad they are.

Gas might be an issue depending on how you drive, for some odd reason when hard driving my SS, mpgs won't go down that much but I won't make it past 230 miles at 15 mpg, which is around 30 less miles per tank of gas I had with my V6, and as you mentioned with the torque and a manual, I'm way more speed and rpm conscious than with the V6, I can overtake cars on high gears and low rps because of the power and torque, with the V6 I had to drop a gear or two, and I was still using 93 for around half a year preparing for the V8 before gas was as cheap as it is now, not that much more expensive and it pulled smoother at high rpms, and no it didn't add more power.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Yeah no LSD on autos, I had to swap an LSD from an SS that had the same gear ratios at 2.77, one hell of an improvement for sure.

The run-flats lose grip very easily during turns, and they hydroplane on rain, plus they are shipped to order (no physical stock) and they're like $350 a piece for a 245, yeah no thanks, first experience with a rwd car and I could tell how bad they are.

Gas might be an issue depending on how you drive, for some odd reason when hard driving my SS, mpgs won't go down that much but I won't make it past 230 miles at 15 mpg, which is around 30 less miles per tank of gas I had with my V6, and as you mentioned with the torque and a manual, I'm way more speed and rpm conscious than with the V6, I can overtake cars on high gears and low rps because of the power and torque, with the V6 I had to drop a gear or two, and I was still using 93 for around half a year preparing for the V8 before gas was as cheap as it is now, not that much more expensive and it pulled smoother at high rpms, and no it didn't add more power.
The no LSD still kinda puzzles me... I mean, these A8 transmissions are supposed to be faster than M6 so I don't get why they don't come with an LSD. If this is like 20+ years when the only reason you would buy an A3/A4 is convenience, it would make sense. I guess they are assuming anyone who buys a 2.0T/3.6 with A8 is a non-enthusiast and doesn't care about it?

Yeah, the price of run-flats would turn me around real quick. We already have the tire goo in the trunk so I don't see the point of run-flats.

As for gas mileage, I drove an RX-8 so even the Camaro SS 1LE is perfectly acceptable. I was regularly getting 13~14 MPG in the RX-8 in the city. Revving high is fun but it's a necessity as well just due to how little torque an NA rotary engine has. The fact that rotaries aren't as thermally efficient as piston engines doesn't help. The best tank was still below 20 MPG and that's with CC set to about 60 MPH about 90% of the time. Meanwhile, I drove my SS 1LE back on a highway, going 70 MPH+, dropping gears and accelerating every few minutes to ensure I am breaking in the engine properly and I get 19 MPG, so I can't really complain.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #28
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

I'm not familiar with the terms FE2 and FE3 suspensions, but even with doing autox or track days, I don't find the MRC suspension to be a requirement. The 2 autox events I got in before everything shut down, I took down a PP2 Mustang on the exact same tires by nearly a full second on a 45-second course both times. I'm pretty sure the only option on my car is the metallic black paint. IMO suspension doesn't affect lap times nearly as much as people make it out to. Softer is almost always faster.

Not having an LSD would drive me crazy. Don't think it makes that much of a difference on the street, but for autox and track it would be no bueno. My last car was a Focus ST with one of the E-diffs where it squeezes the brake to simulate an LSD. On the street it was fine, probably made it more fun. At autox it was OK, it did a couple of weird things, but nothing that I couldn't drive around. Once I did a couple of track days I wanted to throw it in the garbage. It was impossible to put power down out of the corners.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote