Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Diagnose weird issue.

Car guys, need input.

Current setup is straight pipes, cats deleted all 02 sensors connected turbos replaced the mufflers providing some backpressure. Stock injectors, upgraded fuel pump running solid 57psi. Naturally aspirated intake.

All sensors connected.. Car randomly misfires under load, rough idle (could just be learning new fuel tables) replaced maf, same issues

Maf/iat sensor disconnected, car runs smooth, no misfires, engine codes show missing sensors and no other codes.
1. If I drive semi hard/hard then the engine will cut power momenteraly around 1500/2500 rpm on the NEXT launch (intermittent) regardless of how hard I launch. It will jerk the car and is generally annoying

Filled half tank with 93 and added octane booster and didn't correct issue so I want to rule out engine knock.

I've been driving like this for a while, I attempted to clean the maf and see if issue self corrected, it didn't so I disconnected again.

This time (maf disconnected)

""Power steering cuts out and transmission does not want to run in lower gear (only when car is cold as far as I'm aware).. will attempt 6th then bounce back to 5th.

Saw this on 5 consecutive trips... got frustrated.. reconnected the maf and now power steering and trans is fine...

As far as I'm aware I haven't messed with anything that would cause these issues.
WTF.. Any ideas? Bad ecu?
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
There was a user up here who sorta had a similar problem with his V6. His idle would surge and lope from 600 - 1200 rpm for several minutes after starting up, but unplugging the IAT would help. He had misfires as well. In the end, it turned out that his reluctor ring had shifted. This lead to his crank sensor pulse being out of time with the actual mechanical timing of the engine.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Rem0v3r

Ok.. I had a charge pipe transition from 3" to 4 " pretty dang close to the maf sensor and was causing sensor to get strange and erratic readings... I reverted to the stock air box and it corrected the drivability issues... the power steering is still intermittent and funky but reading on that shows that the power steering is an issue with these cars...
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Your need to get the car to a tuner is most likely your problems now with it trying to tune itself and not spark knock its pulling timing no doubt and making it slug along...... you wont hear spark knock as its stopping it first thing, and the deal...have you even got a cross over or just straight pipes? straight is not good you need to equalize exhaust pulse....And you with a tune on a dyno with someone who has a library or tunes is best with HP tuning your car is not just going to relearn a new fuel table it needs it AFR changed permanently and adjustments made for normal running, WOT etc etc by a competent professional who can tweak it to not pull timing all across the board and not melt your engine form being too lean or wash your oil with tons of gas trying to make it richer..... Sounds like your trying a DIY...when really you should take it to the best shop around and leave it and expect to spend a grand at least....... as your most likely missing some parts you should have like at least a BAP or what ever as what you think of as a solid 57 psi may be too little, stock injectors too small for FI, your duty cycle on your injectors needs to be checked in tune etc etc etc
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Rem0v3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Your need to get the car to a tuner is most likely your problems now with it trying to tune itself and not spark knock its pulling timing no doubt and making it slug along...... you wont hear spark knock as its stopping it first thing, and the deal...have you even got a cross over or just straight pipes? straight is not good you need to equalize exhaust pulse....And you with a tune on a dyno with someone who has a library or tunes is best with HP tuning your car is not just going to relearn a new fuel table it needs it AFR changed permanently and adjustments made for normal running, WOT etc etc by a competent professional who can tweak it to not pull timing all across the board and not melt your engine form being too lean or wash your oil with tons of gas trying to make it richer..... Sounds like your trying a DIY...when really you should take it to the best shop around and leave it and expect to spend a grand at least....... as your most likely missing some parts you should have like at least a BAP or what ever as what you think of as a solid 57 psi may be too little, stock injectors too small for FI, your duty cycle on your injectors needs to be checked in tune etc etc etc
The car is not getting air from the turbos yet.. as in the charge pipe is disconnected.. fuel pump is the zl1 fuel pump.. running n/a till I can get a tune. I have a set of fic 1000cc injectors waiting to go in.

Doesn't explain the weird electric issues I'm having.