Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Turbo spewing "milkshake" on start up

My question will be "what will the effects of not water cooling my turbo be"?

First off all, I'm mid project, it took way longer than anticipated, cost more than it should and I'm doing it as I can afford it.

The turbos have been physically installed for months with no issues until a week ago. I noticed a turbo was spewing milkshake (coolant mixed with oil) on start up.

It's my understanding that there are no coolant seals (coolant flows through the chra jacket) so I'm assuming that there is a small crack in the chra somewhere.

These turbos cost 166 shipped. I have no problems replacing the turbo outright with another one eventually.. at 166 it's basically disposable. Just not yet. I need to get this project finished and making boost before I invest any more $. My main concern is that I'm probably getting small amounts of coolant in my oil which isn't good. Taking the turbos off isn't an option right now. Neither is spending 1k on a name brand turbo.

Can I just disconnect the water cooling lines? What will happen. Will it explode after 5 minutes?

Thanks in advance.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
My turbos (efr7670s) have water cooling provisions but i do not use them. I was advised if i were road racing it would be beneficial. As a street toy im not using them. I have about 1000 miles on them and im not easy on the car.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Ok cool. I guess I will disconnect them then.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
If you remove water from the turbos and the cores are cracked/leaking, then you should see the oil leaking from the water inlet/outlet

But $166 per turbo ?

I know it's dirt cheap, but I dont think I could ever do that to my car ! lol they must be shite !
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote