Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
2013 SS drivablity problems.

I'm trying to diagnose an ongoing issue with my camaro and I need some suggestions. I'll provide as much info as possible.

Car has an sts style turbo setup that isn't hooked into the intake yet, cats are removed, fuel pump is a zl1 pump, injectors are stock. Car is running naturally aspirated at the moment.

Car idles rough, random misfire especially on acceleration, bucks and surges..

When the maf is disconnected however the car runs great except after a semi hard driving pull the car has a tendency to (feels like) temporarily cut power on the next acceleration.
Based on previous codes i've replaced the maf and a bad o2 sensor, I saw improvement but still have this issue.. vacuum is around 20inhg at idle, baro reads between 13.6 and 14.2 (florida) no drops in fuel pressure and no codes thrown.

I want to get the car tuned but need to figure this out first. Any other sensors that may cause this
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The tune is what the problem is....like big government..... you have removed the cats and gone to a header style pipe with out making adjustments to the AFR and tuning to avoid things like pre-ignition,( spark knock); tuned to a minimum, tune out the secondary o2s and the delayed response of the primary o2s codes for a CEL thrown on headers. NO doubt the engine maybe even has a broken spark plug or bad connection or your problem is solely having done a 1/2 install....? And the thing is the ECU may be trying to stop you from screwing the pooch with pulling some timing on acceleration as random misfire means your either having minor explosions in the exhaust or the intake tract of car....and I would guess your misfiring in the exhaust which is not good... the intake worse......

If your just throwing some aftermarket parts on it and expecting to tune as you go..not so good....and your timing? Personally think you may be trying to put the cart in front of the horse.......... and would look for any thing wrong that could cause the stumbling and get tuned ASAP..... I think its because your not using any o2s right, and its dealing with closed loop versus not closed loop and you should look to the crank position sensor also.... I have trouble diagnosing with little info....and its could be numbers of things, loose throttle body, restricted exhaust with turbos unhooked up on exhaust, screwed up everything and no live tuning..???????
Old 09-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Is the Turbo still inline? Are the oil lines hooked up to it if so?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Rem0v3r

The turbos are located where the stock mufflers go. The cats were replaced with a cat delete pipe, stock exhaust manifolds, all o2 sensors are connected, the turbos are blowing to atmosphere and not into the engine currently.. the turbos are plumbed with 4an oil feed into restrictors and 10 an oil drain into a vacuum pump that returns oil directly into the oil pan.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I was able to install my twin turbo kit (with stock injectors still installed) and drive it around the block a couple times just fine on my cam/headers tune. Was a pain in the ass to start, but was just easy on it and didnt get into boost just to break in the turbos a bit before putting it on the dyno. My charge pipe was connected. It may just need tuned IMO. Funky things happen when you mod. You may be trying to trick into thinking its still NA but it might not like it.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Rem0v3r

Ok, that seems to be the case.. I guess I'll take my chances on the dyno and hope they don't run into unnecessary problems.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
the stock mufflers are at the rear ...not a good place for the turbos most likely yours are more where the stock crossover was a huge resonator .....and most turbo setups don't use stock exhaust manifolds they are mediocre at best.... Yup you should get it on a dyno asap with a good tuner with HP tuning and stock GM software /hardware.