#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #29
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
cool then it would have notified him that his car was being jacked up and he could have called the police himself, sounds like just the thing he needed..
no doubt. that's kinda how I meant it. obviously it would have depending on him getting out to the car and assess the situation while it was happening, but yes.

I've added them to all my vehicles for that reason. It also keeps up with your trips via built in gps. Here, you can use that as an aid to get out of a speeding ticket if you are wrongfully ticketed (not that this happens often, but still).
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #30
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Depends how far away he parks his car in the garage. If he gets an alert that his car was bumped into or whatever (willing to bet loud cars and sound systems could set that off as well), he would have to walk over to the garage to catch them in the act. Anything more than 5-10min and they are off with the wheels already.

Pretty sure if he called the cops that his car alarm was going off they would just laugh and hang up.

Not to mention, enough false alarms due to any vibration in the garage would probably render the alert system useless after running out to his car at 2am enough times.
loud cars and sound systems haven't set mine off, and I have some pretty rowdy neighbors at times. I'm not saying it's fool proof, but It hasn't given me any reason not to yet, and I came into the whole thing skeptical. The only thing I don't like about it, is it takes up the obdii port.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #31
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
loud cars and sound systems haven't set mine off, and I have some pretty rowdy neighbors at times. I'm not saying it's fool proof, but It hasn't given me any reason not to yet, and I came into the whole thing skeptical. The only thing I don't like about it, is it takes up the obdii port.
Im just going off my experience with car alarms in parking garages like that where the sound is amplified due to the enclosed space.

It can't hurt to have something like that, but I really can't see it stopping most thieves as they are usually in and out with a quickness. If the car was parked in front of a house and right outside an apartment that makes more sense to me.

Sucks this is the world we live in, but it is.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #32
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
sadly, from what I've seen, locking lugnuts won't do much more than slow down the thief, and you'd be surprised by how little it slows them down.
Yep, you just hammer on a slightly larger 12 point socket and it's off. Easy peasy!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 AM   #33
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Depends how far away he parks his car in the garage. If he gets an alert that his car was bumped into or whatever (willing to bet loud cars and sound systems could set that off as well), he would have to walk over to the garage to catch them in the act. Anything more than 5-10min and they are off with the wheels already. Im just assuming if his building has a garage like he described his place isn't right next to it.

Pretty sure if he called the cops that his car alarm was going off they would just laugh and hang up.

Not to mention, enough false alarms due to any vibration in the garage would probably render the alert system useless after running out to his car at 2am enough times.
i guess you are rite. getting up to check if your car is being stolen or broken into is just too far to walk or too much hassle.
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #34
Staves

Drives: women crazy
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Is your garage gated? I too park in a big underground garage. It does have a security gate and I think we have cameras too but not thief proof more thief deterrent. Luckily never had a problem.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I would call the dealer it was originally sold from and see if they stored the serial numbers of the TPMS sensors in their systems. You can buy a TPMS sensor reader and try to match serial numbers to any sets you may see for sale online and you can report those serial numbers to the police to send to pawn shops. Its a stretch but worth a try to see if any dealers have those serial numbers matched to your VIN. Some dealers will store those TPMS serial numbers for the expensive wheels on the lot, just in case someone steals them. I've seen a video where the dealer tracked down the person that stole them and had the police come and verify the serial numbers and they took their wheels back from the guy that stole them.

I am also sure those numbers are stored in your cars computer, you may be able to get a dealer to pull those numbers from the computer and print them out.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #36
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Sorry to see this, sadly in Houston this is all too common. My buddy got hit like this in his apartment complex too. These guys know what they are doing.

They drove a big truck through the security gate, and used a lug-nut tool with teeth inside it that grab the lug, so sadly locking lug-nuts wont help.

Hope you get this taken care of soon, get back on the road, and have no more awful issues like this.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #37
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I would call the dealer it was originally sold from and see if they stored the serial numbers of the TPMS sensors in their systems. You can buy a TPMS sensor reader and try to match serial numbers to any sets you may see for sale online and you can report those serial numbers to the police to send to pawn shops. Its a stretch but worth a try to see if any dealers have those serial numbers matched to your VIN. Some dealers will store those TPMS serial numbers for the expensive wheels on the lot, just in case someone steals them. I've seen a video where the dealer tracked down the person that stole them and had the police come and verify the serial numbers and they took their wheels back from the guy that stole them.

I am also sure those numbers are stored in your cars computer, you may be able to get a dealer to pull those numbers from the computer and print them out.
^^ This

and then check these which are in Houston and awful suspicious - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Chevy-Ca...W/223539789214
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #38
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Really sucks, I hate people that steal.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #39
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
^^ This

and then check these which are in Houston and awful suspicious - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Chevy-Ca...W/223539789214
*bump*
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #40
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Brutal, and it sucks.

Things like this happened to me more than a few times when I was first starting out in apartments in Calgary. Eventually my beloved gen3 Camaro wound up being stolen, and written off (by the dick that took her), later that night.

Be careful, and persevere. If they want your ride they’re gonna get it, stay out of situations with possible confrontations. Life’s too short for that.

BTW, beautiful car!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #41
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
If you haven’t replaced your wheels and tpms yet, you could see if those wheels on eBay sync right away. Once you sync a new set, you’ll never know.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #42
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
You should check them out, but looking at the picture those tires haven't been driven more than 10 miles or less, they still have the green stripe on the tires, You said you drove your car from Dallas to Houston, there should be some wear on 3Rs. But that doesn't mean there not switching wheels and tires around , Check it out !
Guys remember also, these guys could very well be on this sight watching comments. The best place is a enclosed shop, 2-3 dogs, cameras, etc and people can still get you. I keep a sub compact 40 on me, and a AR pistol with 556 just incase things go south quick, I'm a retired corrections officer, law enforcement background, and a pastor ! Some people dont respect you, your things or The Lord ! I will do my best to encourage people, But I will not do a lot of talking with criminals !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stolen wheels, wheel locks zl1, zl1 wheels stolen