Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 AM   #1
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Borla s type axle back with npp

Im thinking im gonna purchase this borla s type or atak axle back with npp. I decided against headers I think they sound like garbage and I dont wanna ditch my cats. My question is for anyone that has either of these systems will I still get the pops on the decel like you do with the stock npp? Also overall thoughts on the system itself?
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
Zboy136

Drives: Red Hot 17 1LE
Off Topic: How about headers with cats, and your stock npp? I think it sounds really good, if you ever wanna hear it in person lemme know you live fairly close to me. You'll spend about the same as you would for an axleback and gain more power as well.

On Topic: I believe the borla will pop more, I know the atak version on my last car popped like crazy. Their systems are made well.
Zboy136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Jbanta1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zboy136 View Post
Off Topic: How about headers with cats, and your stock npp? I think it sounds really good, if you ever wanna hear it in person lemme know you live fairly close to me. You'll spend about the same as you would for an axleback and gain more power as well.

On Topic: I believe the borla will pop more, I know the atak version on my last car popped like crazy. Their systems are made well.

I decided I dont wanna void my warranty that's why I don't wanna do the headers. So with the atak were you happy with the sound or were they too loud? Im afraid with the s type it won't be loud enough
Old 03-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I went axleback atak with NPP valves. It's loud at times but only maybe 10 percent louder then stock. I'm working on getting the catback stuff to make it louder. Also 19+ GM changed the engine tune so there's more pops and crackles on decel
The borla dosnt change that, it will still definately be there.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Jbanta1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
I went axleback atak with NPP valves. It's loud at times but only maybe 10 percent louder then stock. I'm working on getting the catback stuff to make it louder. Also 19+ GM changed the engine tune so there's more pops and crackles on decel
The borla dosnt change that, it will still definately be there.
What about at idle?
Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanta1983 View Post
What about at idle?
Same thing. Overall the axle back itself is a more drastic tone change then it is loudness. From what I've found if you want loud do the cat back. Otherwise it's just a bit louder then stock npp. The initial cold start is a little louder, full throttle over 4k rpm is a little louder. Maybe 15-20percent louder. I literally put them in less then a week ago, and they sound even better as they get miles on them. The s types will be just a hair less loud as the atak. Had them on my mustang so have an idea.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Crackles and pops are still present. More so when it is cold. I never had stock so I can't compare. Worked the Borla into the deal when I purchased and had them install. I am very happy with them. I get lots of comments of how good it sounds. Even from the mustang guys at work. 3 of them like a little wolf pack. hahaha
Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Jbanta1983

Quote:
Same thing. Overall the axle back itself is a more drastic tone change then it is loudness. From what I've found if you want loud do the cat back. Otherwise it's just a bit louder then stock npp. The initial cold start is a little louder, full throttle over 4k rpm is a little louder. Maybe 15-20percent louder. I literally put them in less then a week ago, and they sound even better as they get miles on them. The s types will be just a hair less loud as the atak. Had them on my mustang so have an idea.
That's crazy I'm wondering why so many guys are saying how much louder it got..
Old 03-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
Coded4SS

Quote:
That's crazy I'm wondering why so many guys are saying how much louder it got..
From my research that i did prior to buying the exhaust it seems its easy to blur the lines for a few reasons.

1. Perception. 20% to me may be 50% to someone else.
2. People often say "i got borla atak/stypes" but dont specify if its catback or
axleback. Where the catback will def. be louder.
3. Some people come from non NPP cars, where the borlas will def be louder.

Somehwere around here is a post from borla about the Db raitings of there exhaust compared to stock npp, to give you an idea of how loud it is relative to data. But if your 70 and im say 20 well, were going to have different opinions on what loud is. But based on what i got id say its about 15-20% louder. Honest, i was kinda disappointed. lol But the tone change, is worth it, and you hear it in the cabin a little more. Do a search on this forum and read the posts that are specific to the axleback and youll likely find the same info.

Last edited by Coded4SS; 03-11-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #10
Jbanta1983

Quote:
From my research that i did prior to buying the exhaust it seems its easy to blur the lines for a few reasons.

1. Perception. 20% to me may be 50% to someone else.
2. People often say "i got borla atak/stypes" but dont specify if its catback or
axleback. Where the catback will def. be louder.
3. Some people come from non NPP cars, where the borlas will def be louder.

Somehwere around here is a post from borla about the Db raitings of there exhaust compared to stock npp, to give you an idea of how loud it is relative to data. But if your 70 and im say 20 well, were going to have different opinions on what loud is. But based on what i got id say its about 15-20% louder. Honest, i was kinda disappointed. lol But the tone change, is worth it, and you hear it in the cabin a little more. Do a search on this forum and read the posts that are specific to the axleback and youll likely find the same info.

All I'm looking for is a deeper/louder rumble at idle and more of a scream at high rpms, if I get that I'll be happy.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
All I'm looking for is a deeper/louder rumble at idle and more of a scream at high rpms, if I get that I'll be happy.
I just went with the S-type axle back, kinda bummed how loud the cold start is, not very neighbor friendly for sure. After that it's perfect, gets pretty loud at WOT.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
Coded4SS

Quote:
Id buy it again. It does that stuff you mentioned, at least the atak sure do. The S types would be similar more rumbly
Old 03-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #13
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I love my ATAK. Wish I skipped the mid pipes. It was super loud at all times, but now I think the system is broken in so it's quite mellow once warmed up. Cold starts are still amazing.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote