Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Headers and Heat

I have some ceramic coated TSP 2" long tube headers coming for my car. I've seen some guys posting about starter heat soak issues. I have a few questions for anyone that has already done headers. My car is a 2018 2SS M6, daily driver, never tracked (or plan to). I live in southeast Texas (near Houston, so pretty hot in summer and very humid).

1. I've seen some info that leads me to believe earlier cars (2016) don't have starter heat shield and later cars do. Is that true? Is it enough prevent starter issues?

2. Is ceramic coating enough to prevent starter issues?

3. I've seen stater heat wraps (DEI) on some cars. Is this generally recommended? These almost seem like it would make matters worse (ie, prevent any cooling air flow from touching the starter), but I may not be thinking about it right.

4. Can I keep my factory plug wires (and just buy some boots) or do I need to get high temp wires?

Thanks in advance!
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
I was in the same boat and figured for the price a blanket was cheap enough to just do it. My 16 has a little heat shield from the factory and the blanket was a bitch to put around the starter so we ended up kinda stuffing it up in there and zip tied it so it would stay. Just be sure if you do that remember that the outside of the blanket is conductive and will short to ground.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
1 true early 16s were missing the heat shield.
2 dont know. what kind of ceramic coating?
3 wont hurt. the starter doesnt run long enough to overheat if car will start.
4. yes you can use factory wires just buy these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...YaAn-rEALw_wcB
basically just buy the wire boots and some https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010408 for the wire harnesses on the passenger side. especially the one you have to move away from the headers under the over flow tank.
Attached Images

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Jcreasy2

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
I was in the same boat and figured for the price a blanket was cheap enough to just do it. My 16 has a little heat shield from the factory and the blanket was a bitch to put around the starter so we ended up kinda stuffing it up in there and zip tied it so it would stay. Just be sure if you do that remember that the outside of the blanket is conductive and will short to ground.
Just wondering if the starter blanket has been working? I have a 2016 2ss with a supercharger on it, stock exhaust system. Not putting any crazy numbers down, I don't race the car or drive it super hard, but I had to replace the starter 5 months ago and now it sounds like its starting to go bad again from header heat? Wondering if a starter blanket or exhaust header wrapping could possibly be the solution. But can't keep affording to buy a new starter every 5k miles haha. Any insight would be appreciated.
Jcreasy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I have some ceramic coated TSP 2" long tube headers coming for my car. I've seen some guys posting about starter heat soak issues. I have a few questions for anyone that has already done headers. My car is a 2018 2SS M6, daily driver, never tracked (or plan to). I live in southeast Texas (near Houston, so pretty hot in summer and very humid).

1. I've seen some info that leads me to believe earlier cars (2016) don't have starter heat shield and later cars do. Is that true? Is it enough prevent starter issues?

2. Is ceramic coating enough to prevent starter issues?

3. I've seen stater heat wraps (DEI) on some cars. Is this generally recommended? These almost seem like it would make matters worse (ie, prevent any cooling air flow from touching the starter), but I may not be thinking about it right.

4. Can I keep my factory plug wires (and just buy some boots) or do I need to get high temp wires?

Thanks in advance!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-010542-...MAAOSwF8le1UXQ
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers, heat, starter