#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I believe the center line runs into the intake as a vacuum feed.
This ^^^
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #16
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Yes it does, there's a belly in the intake tube that it runs to. But if an aftermarket intake blocks off that tube, then it would serve as a catch can, essentially.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
Yes it does, there's a belly in the intake tube that it runs to. But if an aftermarket intake blocks off that tube, then it would serve as a catch can, essentially.
?

Blocking off that tube will stop any sort of vapor flow. Even the aftermarket catch cans need some sort of a vacuum feed from the intake to work.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #18
Ipockalypse

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
No they wont come with them, reason being is they have to be emptied as the gaseous oil turns into a liquid. If that can is left too long and get full then the liquid can be drawn down the hose and into the engine which can cause serious issues.

That is the main reason GM doesn't use them, they cant trust the owners to empty them regularly. They are needed though to keep the oil mist out of the combustion process.
I know the 5th Gen SS 1LE's came with them...believe they were in the trunk and you had to install if wanted.
Ipockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The LT4 engine does have a cleanside separator from the factory that works pretty decent, but nothing for the foul or dirty side where 90% plus of all ingestion enters.

There is NO vacuum connected to this portion of the PCV system. It simply is the route for the MAF metered filtered fresh air to enter both valve covers from the separator. One tube runs from the main intake air bridge assy to the tank, and it then splits and enters both valve covers. Remember, the fresh/cleanside air enters the crankcase to flush and replace the foul/dirty contaminate laden vapors being evacuated (sucked out) of the valley. And no, NEVER return any of this to the crankcase as it is a mixture of water, sulfuric acid, raw fuel, and abrasive particulate matter.

The LT4 the foul/dirty side is a tube that enters the lower blower housing directly from the valley cover so no easy way to interrupt this. Elite Engineering has the system just for this. It includes a billet PCV diverter that replaces the factory plastic PCV valve assy located underneath the blower assy (easy to reach, un-bolt blower and raise a few inches) that you unscrew and remove and replace with the Elite PCV diverter. This has built into it the flow controlling fixed orifice of the proper size and then redirects the foul/dirty vapors out the front of the valley cover and from there it flows to the can inlet, and then form there out to the vacuum present in the inlet housing of the blower. The second outlet of the can (E2, E2-X or E2-X Ultra) goes to a barb you install just in front of the TB for added evacuation capacity when at full boost when needed most. The dual checkvalves maintain proper flow direction at all times.

So yes, we have a LT4 specific system that is the most effective on the market.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #20
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The LT4 engine does have a cleanside separator from the factory that works pretty decent, but nothing for the foul or dirty side where 90% plus of all ingestion enters.

There is NO vacuum connected to this portion of the PCV system. It simply is the route for the MAF metered filtered fresh air to enter both valve covers from the separator. One tube runs from the main intake air bridge assy to the tank, and it then splits and enters both valve covers. Remember, the fresh/cleanside air enters the crankcase to flush and replace the foul/dirty contaminate laden vapors being evacuated (sucked out) of the valley. And no, NEVER return any of this to the crankcase as it is a mixture of water, sulfuric acid, raw fuel, and abrasive particulate matter.

The LT4 the foul/dirty side is a tube that enters the lower blower housing directly from the valley cover so no easy way to interrupt this. Elite Engineering has the system just for this. It includes a billet PCV diverter that replaces the factory plastic PCV valve assy located underneath the blower assy (easy to reach, un-bolt blower and raise a few inches) that you unscrew and remove and replace with the Elite PCV diverter. This has built into it the flow controlling fixed orifice of the proper size and then redirects the foul/dirty vapors out the front of the valley cover and from there it flows to the can inlet, and then form there out to the vacuum present in the inlet housing of the blower. The second outlet of the can (E2, E2-X or E2-X Ultra) goes to a barb you install just in front of the TB for added evacuation capacity when at full boost when needed most. The dual checkvalves maintain proper flow direction at all times.

So yes, we have a LT4 specific system that is the most effective on the market.

I'm a fan of your catch cans had one on my LT1 stingray. Just not sure if I want to risk a warranty issue if I install one on my LT4 ZL1. What are your thoughts on a catch can voiding your warranty?
VAZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #21
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
I'm a fan of your catch cans had one on my LT1 stingray. Just not sure if I want to risk a warranty issue if I install one on my LT4 ZL1. What are your thoughts on a catch can voiding your warranty?
Honestly, there is a ton of information regarding warranty and Catch Cans.

Warranty is always a question, but unfortunately it does depend on the dealer and the dealer's experience and knowledge of the benefits of a Catch Can. Here's some information we have accumulated over the years. In a nutshell, no the dealer can not void your warranty.

One of our recent customers went through the process of writing a letter to GM asking about the installation of a Catch Can and if it would affect his vehicle's warranty. To his surprise, he actually received a response letter that stated that the installation of a Catch Can would NOT void his vehicle's warranty.

Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues

Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

Read your warranty - Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online.

Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website. -
Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.

Service your car at regular intervals - This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.

Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service - This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.

Last edited by Elite Engineering; 03-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:59 PM   #22
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361

Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
At this point, and with the dozen threads on warranty discussions and concerns, regardless of what any vendor tells you, regardless of what type [lack] of impact you know a part may have on a car's functionality, and regardless of what you read in the warranty act, you should be aware that any future repairs and diagnosis you attempt to make with the dealer could be denied. Even if you know you are in the right, and that you are covered by existing protections, is no guarantee that it will be a quick and easy process to get that decision overturned. You are making a choice to accept that risk and those delays, and the possibility that you will have to fight for your rights.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #24
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Honestly, there is a ton of information regarding warranty and Catch Cans.

Warranty is always a question, but unfortunately it does depend on the dealer and the dealer's experience and knowledge of the benefits of a Catch Can. Here's some information we have accumulated over the years. In a nutshell, no the dealer can not void your warranty.

One of our recent customers went through the process of writing a letter to GM asking about the installation of a Catch Can and if it would affect his vehicle's warranty. To his surprise, he actually received a response letter that stated that the installation of a Catch Can would NOT void his vehicle's warranty.

Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues

Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

Read your warranty - Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online.

Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website. -
Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.

Service your car at regular intervals - This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.

Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service - This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.
Good info, thanks
VAZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
ZL1 JDW

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1.
I installed the catch can /breather kit from Mighty Mouse Solutions. Its an extremely high quality system. They were very knowledgeable, answered all my questions and were very patient. It took me about 3 hrs to install, I took my time. When I removed the blower lid there was already a decent amount of oil pudding going on. Only had around 680mi at the time of the install.
ZL1 JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
How many miles now?

I was under the impression that these had a tendency to throw a code in the 6th gens.

I thought I had also read these weren't needed for some reason.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #27
ZL1 JDW

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1.
It's all preference really. After doing research I saw how the pudding was accumulating in the top of the blower from other LT4s with fairly low mileage that's why I decided to do it early and also while the o-rings on the blower are still fresh, you definitely don't want any kind of intake leak. It does not through any code. Basically you're just relocating the PCV which the engine can't recognise, and you eliminate like 90% of contaminants in Blow by being vented into the floor of the blower. I've had no problems at all.
ZL1 JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Where is peo pl le getting their catch can? Mighty mouse
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote